Yingluck tearfully insists to stay on as caretaker PM

webfact

Have the democrats and their allies ever stopped for a moment to think how all the effort and money spent on rallies and civil disruption might be better invested in coming up with a new offer to present to the Thai people? Clearly, despite corruption in this and previous governments the Thai voting public still refuse to vote in a democrat supported government. Perhaps it's time for the democrats to take a long, hard look at their own platform so they might understand what it is that prevents them gaining power via elections. Just because someone thinks they know what is best for everyone else doesn't mean everyone else is going to see it that way.

That's a bit daft.

The Dems are never voted in because all the vote buying is going on in the north. Where nothing ever changes and the voters are still as poor as church mice.

All past election results are void once the new system of elections comes into force with hefty jail sentences for vote buying and dissolutions.

This is Thailand moving forward, and is why Thaksin and the PTP are straining to stop it.

• Like 1

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What ever you think about her politics, one thing should be clear: Ms. Yingluck IS the democratically elected PM of Thailand. Whether she, her brother, her party bought the votes does not matter in first place. if the VOTERS can be bought, it is a voters problem. If the VOTERS accept that the government rips them off, it is the VOTERS problem.

And it is the problem of the opposition parties when they can not reach out to the voters and make it clear to them that they have a better choice. Hard work is what the opposition should invest in order to inform the voters about their ideas and make sure that voters understand that they would be better off with voting for them.

That is democracy. Each democratic country has the government it deserves.

A "peoples council" as Mr. Suthep seeks to form is not what democracy is about. A "peoples council" is just another form of dictatorship by people who think that they know better than the majority about what is best for a country. The best example of such "peoples council" can be found in the communist countries of the world.

"Ms. Yingluck IS the democratically elected PM of Thailand"

Beg to disagree, she IS the caretaker-PM of Thailand, as of yesterday.

Better get used to it ! wink.png

I have witnessed vote buying tactics and I only wish the same tactic applied here in UK. All we get is a load of pamphlets pushed through our door by everyone from the Tooting Popular Front to the Monster Raving Lunatic Party.

Give me the money i say. Press a few fivers into my hand and, of course, I'll vouch to vote to you.

Of, course, as in Thailand, the ballot is in secret, so, if I vote at all it will be for my preferred candidate

My mother-in-law can't wait for these frequent elections to come round. They're a nice little earner. Hundreds of baht for making empty promises.

Vote buying in Thailand is an absolute myth. Whenever the Inaptly named Democratic party lose an election they have to look for an excuse outside of their own abysmal failings.

I am very disappointed that Yingluck failed to hold her nerve in this matter. Unfortunately democratic countries around the World appear silent at this violent attempt to usurp the democratic process.

Britain and America clearly like to pick and choose which countries they throw their weight behind. Obviously there are no economic benefits to be gained from supporting Yingluck's democratically elected government

• Like 2

She certainly did represent a clear majority. The 5 coalition parties had over 53% of the votes in both the constituenty and party list votes. These figures gave the coalition 60% of seats in parliament, with 53% for PT alone. I don't understand why people are making claims that can easily be refuted.

The reference is to what percentage (of voters not population) actually VOTED for PTP .. not how many parties (which were not PTP and were not representing Yingluck) PTP later brought into their coalition thru horse trading ministerial and other lucrative positions.

It is funny that people even try to make the argument, PT received 48% of party list votes and 44% of constituenty votes, far far more than the democrats and any other party.

Do you ever ask yourself the question........WHY ?

Two ways in which the gap between PTP and the Democrats can be overhauled:-

1. Genuinely, 100% NO vote buying and

2. IQ testing for all voters. Those scoring less than 50 are disqualified.

I am not saying that democracy should be dependent on intelligence but having a vote must surely carry a degree of responsibility.

Very good post.

I suppose that would eradicate at least 7 million from the ballot boxes.

What high end job did Abhisit give his father?

Director of Charoen Pokphand Foods, Thailand's largest agribusiness firm and part of the Charoen Pokphand Group.

I hardly think that Mark was particularly influential in getting his father Athasit an independent directorship with CP Foods.

Dr. Athasit, FRCP, is highly educated and a former president of Mahidol, so it's not like he was looking for a job. Is it?.

I wouldn't even bother arguing with this lot.

Of course you are right, and his father got that job on personal merit and vast ability. Unlike someone in the Prime Minister's chair who I would love to see take an IQ test... I doubt it would be the national average. It certainly would not be over 100.

• Like 1

Nice call fixing the election for 2 February during Chinese New Year.

Super Bowl as well!

Chinese New Year is never a holiday in Thailand.

All the Chinese is Chinese no more.

They are all blended into a single loving and caring Thai society.

I am not saying that democracy should be dependent on intelligence but having a vote must surely carry a degree of responsibility.

Very good post.

I suppose that would eradicate at least 7 million from the ballot boxes.

No it wouldn't. I posted a reaction to this post, but apparently it went into the trash, no idea why, I certainly didn't use inflammatory language.

1) It would not make any difference, the reason the democrats don't get enough votes in the north, north-east and parts of central Thailand has nothing to do with vote buying, people there vote any alternative. The democrats have only themselves to blame for this.

2) IQ testing would not bridge the gap, unless you actually believe voters in the south would have a higher IQ than the ones in the north and north-east. Of course some of the democrats would like to believe that people who vote for the other side have a low IQ or are uneducated, but this is nothing more than absolute <deleted>.

• Like 1

30 years ago poor people upcountry were often malnourished which frequently resulted in slow mental development, but as Thailand has developed that has thankfully disappeared.

However to this day schools, especially at primary level often have very poor levels of education upcountry. I know this from personal experience, teachers don't show up, I know one school where the children are only taught 3 days a week.

Issan people are not stupid, they are in fact the kindest people in Thailand but too many are uneducated.

Still that's changing, information is widely available these days, watch out Pheua Thai, you won't be able to fool them much longer.

• Like 1

can somebody please explain to me in a nice way why so many foreigners got such strong views about yellow or red as we are not Thai and it dosent concern us?..In my thinking as long as the girls are available for us older men does it really make a difference?

"In my thinking as long as the girls are available for us older men does it really make a difference? "

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.giffacepalm.gif

May I ask you, with what do you think? Your big head or your little head?

I do give you credit for being totally honest where you are coming from, but do you seriously think most forum members would agree with you. We may not be Thai, as you correctly state, but that doesn't make any difference. A discussion forum is for an exchange of opinions, ideas and argument. Where on earth could you find a "government" that provides such a smorgasbord of entertainment and food for thought?

I am sure a good many participants here are residents and are interested in what is happening as it affects their families one way or another.

However, since you admit that you are an older man interested in the girls, thumbsup.gif the next time you are in a watering hole with attractive babes giggle.gif delivering bottled beer, ask one of them what she thinks of the P.M., might be a good opening line?

What ever you think about her politics, one thing should be clear: Ms. Yingluck IS the democratically elected PM of Thailand. Whether she, her brother, her party bought the votes does not matter in first place. if the VOTERS can be bought, it is a voters problem. If the VOTERS accept that the government rips them off, it is the VOTERS problem.

And it is the problem of the opposition parties when they can not reach out to the voters and make it clear to them that they have a better choice. Hard work is what the opposition should invest in order to inform the voters about their ideas and make sure that voters understand that they would be better off with voting for them.

A "peoples council" as Mr. Suthep seeks to form is not what democracy is about. A "peoples council" is just another form of dictatorship by people who think that they know better than the majority about what is best for a country. The best example of such "peoples council" can be found in the communist countries of the world.

Puppet governments that are elected by vote buying, and who then spend all their time looting the state coffers,

seems to have become the norm, and are certainly not working very well. I say give the people's council a shot,

as they certainly cannot do any worse than the recent governments.... I suspect the Shinawatra clan is pretty cashed

up from the rice scam, would be a piece of cake to buy the next election. Just remember , it is critical to be in office

when the feeding trough is filled up by the 2 trillion baht infrastructure bill........

• Like 1

RT @tulsathit: YL: I've backed off. I've basically agreed to everything. Why is it getting to the family? Can't we live on this land? -@jeerapong_nna

Yingluck if you had a thief steal from your house how would you like to live next door to the thief. The Shinawatra family has been stealing from Thailand for years that's why the people want to see you and your family gone for good.

Name a politician that doesn't steal from Thailand. The main drive of any person in Thailand wishing to work within government or local authority is to cash in on the backhanders and underhand opportunities that come with the job. What's desperately sad is that people believe a new leader or government will be any different.

• Like 1

She asked sympathy from protesters for her family saying “we’re all fellow Thais, and why do we have to hurt one another.”

Shame that she, Thaksin and the rest of the family and all their brown nosing cronies never felt this way whilst they were pillaging the country for every baht they could squeeze from it. Shame they never said this to the Red Shirts every time they were being violent, killing people and burning buildings down.

'Nuff said. Leave now. Dubai has a nice 5 star room for you and lots of shopping. I am just sad the country can't take back the money it lost at your hands before you leave.

• Like 2

The IQ testing is a non starter. I was consulting on a pilot scheme to test IQ in a remote region with a view to implement an idea broadly in line with your suggestion. Turns out that in quite a large percentage of households the family pet actually had the highest IQ. My proposal that these smart critters be given the family vote wasn't received well. FWIW adult dalmatians and African grey parrots were routinely the most intelligent beings, while hamsters generally had lower intelligence and also lacked the power to thresh rice or sweep the floor making their existence somewhat superfluous.

As for vote buying, the Shinawatra clan's decision to cause a state of anarchy and to own the police force makes any curtailing of this problem impossible.

Yingluck's tears will tug heartstrings of the faithful but make most serious observers chortle and snigger with glee. Our maid's parrot is still tittilated after watching her crocodile tears performance on telly a few hours ago.

Edited by jaidam

Could not agree more but unfortunately your succinct, clear-headed viewpoint falls on deaf ears.

I really seem to be missing something here. I agree with most of the criticism aimed at YL, but Suttep and Abhisit were just as bad.

Go to Abhisit's wiki page and you will read that Thailand was declared 'not free' during AV reign as PM due to so much censorship, he gave his father a high end job and had countless cases of corruption against him. It's the same with Suttep, so I don't get why YL is so hated on here, she and her brother are just the same as opposition.

Also with people so adamant that Thaksin should go to prison. Nobody with money and power goes to prison in Thailand, so why is TS different?

There are always some irregularities, Kung A-Kung S and the rest BUT don't compare --You don't see why the P.M. is so hated, FAMILY RELATED-sorry you cannot see wood for trees.

Abuse of power as the P.M.is different from other hi so crimes. I guess you think that Khun Thaksin should go free, just because others escape sentences ???

Oh fine for democracy.

Talking of censorship--Thaksin GAGGED the media. YOU FORGET-when it suits. sorry your weighing scales need adjusting, call the trading standards for that.

I've been posting on a few of these threads asking questions and every time I get a reply it is surly with personal assumptions being made. I've even been told to have an adulterous affair with the ex-PM!!

Why can't many of the anti-YL answer is a polite way and debate???

Yinglucks name is in the spotlight, so most posts are NOT anti Yingluck but what and who she is representing. Trying to weigh up the rights and wrongs of this administration I have to go on how I was brought up. That is recognizing in reality what is wrong. Therefore the wrongs have to be put right in EMERGANCIES.

After 2 + years in office- it is apparent that with the mass corruption and abuse of power-with external illegal influence things have GOT to be sorted.

The party without the Thaksins in my opinion could not govern, but the Family has to go---no time until the next election as by then we have a more corrupt and bankrupt Thailand.

Who ever leads the anti-protests is not really the issue-- it has to be. Now if I ignored my parents advice I would say never mind carry on and run the job into oblivion.

I am not a super fan of the system/thinking of Thai but YES I would have the lesser of evils in office.

Corruption everywhere in Thai politics, keeps it third world and suitable for most of TVF members. I would personally miss Yingluck - pretty much a bozo, but better looking than most of the thieves in government. Her popularity is a large part of what is keeping the country from being run as a dictatorship by a madman; wouldn't affect me or you, but better if it is not.

The lesser of two weevils. - Master and Commander wasn't it?

Yingluck and Suthep are figureheads of opposing forces. Neither in totality is good for the long term for Thailand.

You don't buy Democracy and for those of you just gladly walking past this point, shame on you for corrupting your western morals of right and wrong. Educating the populace about responsibility would be a good start and then perhaps you could move on to more esoteric ideas.

Brand Shinawatra is looking more damaged by the day and she is now scrabbling around to salvage something of value from the shipwreck Cap'n Thaksin has helped create. She just can't see that at some point as Chief Purser of the boat she'll have to take to the lifeboats and quit, while her Gucci shoes and YSL handbag are still dry. If she leaves it any later, all the lifeboats will have gone and there will only be a few bits of rat-infested driftwood left to cling to. xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.dBoeWV-ae9.webp

Mind you, imagine being in a lifeboat with Ai Lerm and Uncle Plod as shipmates - bit like Life of Pi scenario, with a tiger and hyena under the tarpaulin. I think I'd take the driftwood in retrospect! whistling.gif

• Like 1

I really seem to be missing something here. I agree with most of the criticism aimed at YL, but Suttep and Abhisit were just as bad.

Go to Abhisit's wiki page and you will read that Thailand was declared 'not free' during AV reign as PM due to so much censorship, he gave his father a high end job and had countless cases of corruption against him. It's the same with Suttep, so I don't get why YL is so hated on here, she and her brother are just the same as opposition.

Also with people so adamant that Thaksin should go to prison. Nobody with money and power goes to prison in Thailand, so why is TS different?

Have you any idea who wrote that ?

I doubt it, try Robert Amsterdam employed by you know who.

• Like 1

Strange Yingluck is being condemned...when the real perpetrators are suthep and the democrats...have you not read what suthep and his mob demand...

45 million registered voters, 16 million vote for Yingluck and the PTP and yet 120,000 people say they know best - yes, that sounds democratic to me.

Suthep keep on walkin' tuzki-bunny-emoticon-010.gif

16 million for Yingluck out of 45m. Ergo, 29 million did not support her.

Bit like having a football match finishing 1 - 2 and the home team being declared winner.

A lot of politicians get in with less than 50% of the electorate supporting them but they still pretend to represent the majority.

And some who manage to get way above 50% in elections (with bought votes, threats etc etc), such as Gadaffi or Saddam are said to be undemocratic because they cheated (except in this case).

Funny old world...

Well I mean in the flip side of the Shinawatra Poison-clan, as silly as Ms. Yingluck is, one must admit that it was all of her big brother's bloodline relatives who pulled the threads of her actions, to make her look so superficial in the international scene and in her absence take care of the Pheu Thai corruption practices and exploit the nation in her absense.

In other words, as superficially silly as she is she never had to say. All decisions were made for her by Thaksin's goons all the way, in a treacherous ways of the TRUE ruler aka puppet mastery,

She should resign totally, and not even seek re-election. Disgusting puppet.

Seeking re-election is the top of shameless....

Why should she NOT seek re-election? What is wrong about that? If she can get a majority of votes - whether bought or not - it is then the obvious choice of the majority of the Thai voters to say "we don't care about being ripped off, we don't care about having a corrupt government, we don't care about her brother being a criminal on the run".

The problem is purely with the opposition parties who are unable to convince voters that they would be better off with voting for them.

They might have been elected but that does not give them the right to brake the law. If police would do their duty most of the PTP would out of office and into the jail, but since police or any other institution does not do a thing about it people will have to take the power back from the criminals.

"She asked sympathy from protesters for her family saying “we’re all fellow Thais, and why do we have to hurt one another.”

good question Yingluck, why has your Thai government caused so much damage and hurt so many of your people?

Either she's totally clueless which I somehow doubt, or she doesn't have a face to lose.

• Like 1