Tablet feedback please.

2peteok

I would welcome someone explaining what a tablet is for??

At home I prefer the bigger screen and keyboard of a 'proper' computer and when out, I prefer a 4" screen smartphone for portability.

Evidently I am missing something as so many people use tablets apparently. Is it more than the latest 'must have' gadget? If so where does its usefulness fit in?

Its much lighter than a laptop and when travelling constantly makes a great communication tool, pretty much the only one I need.

The one I bought and recommended earlier is powerful enough to do everything I need, but cheap enough so if it breaks or goes missing I don't stress over it like most fruit machine owners do. Its basically a facebook/ skype/ email/ message/ news/ ebook machine anyway, why waste good money on expensive alternatives?

Thanks, yes I get that now, but I am not convinced I need to buy a phone and tablet. I am thinking a Huawei y511 with a 4.5" screen will do the job of both...

I am sure a really expensive tablet will cope with what android likes to be -- always on and everything running in the background, but that is a totally impractical way to run a normal users device.

Well I don't find it is, but on older devices if it's an issue, root it and install both Xposed Framework and Greenify then you can hibernate anything that you don't want Always On.

I am sure a really expensive tablet will cope with what android likes to be -- always on and everything running in the background, but that is a totally impractical way to run a normal users device.

Well I don't find it is, but on older devices if it's an issue, root it and install both Xposed Framework and Greenify then you can hibernate anything that you don't want Always On.

Kinda defeats the object of making the devices user-friendly. Rooting is not for the faint-hearted -- which includes me ;)

You don't really need to do it on newer devices, especially with 4.4.

But if you want to breathe new life into an S2 or a Note, for example, it's the way to go.

And probably easier than you think.

If you have an old device you want to try it on, let me know, I can talk you through it.

http://alchemistar.blogspot.com/2012/11/samsung.html

You don't really need to do it on newer devices, especially with 4.4.

But if you want to breathe new life into an S2 or a Note, for example, it's the way to go.

And probably easier than you think.

If you have an old device you want to try it on, let me know, I can talk you through it.

http://alchemistar.blogspot.com/2012/11/samsung.html

It's not so old - but it's a cheap tablet that I got for learning purposes - and my grandson to play some games on.

Model number A702

Android version 4.0.4

Baseband version 1.5

Kernel version 3.0.8+

administrator@ubuntu #0

Sat Sep15 19:27:51 CST 2012

Build number

MASTER_A702_12052012-V1

Last checked for updates 31 Oct.

It's not possible to put it online here for now. The SIM card facility seems to have died :(

At home I prefer the bigger screen and keyboard of a 'proper' computer and when out, I prefer a 4" screen smartphone for portability.

Evidently I am missing something as so many people use tablets apparently. Is it more than the latest 'must have' gadget? If so where does its usefulness fit in?

Its much lighter than a laptop and when travelling constantly makes a great communication tool, pretty much the only one I need.

The one I bought and recommended earlier is powerful enough to do everything I need, but cheap enough so if it breaks or goes missing I don't stress over it like most fruit machine owners do. Its basically a facebook/ skype/ email/ message/ news/ ebook machine anyway, why waste good money on expensive alternatives?

Thanks, yes I get that now, but I am not convinced I need to buy a phone and tablet. I am thinking a Huawei y511 with a 4.5" screen will do the job of both...

Sounds like a personal preference situation, if it helps I should also add...

Do I need it...no

Does it make keeping in touch easier...yes

Could I live without it...yes.

I travel with a dual sim smart phone too, I could almost do without that as well but I like to call home, and also if I run into an unexpected hiccup and need to ring the office then I use it. But getting the tablet helped lighten the carry on load considerably for me.

All the best!

Sounds like a personal preference situation, if it helps I should also add...

Do I need it...no

Does it make keeping in touch easier...yes

Could I live without it...yes.

I travel with a dual sim smart phone too, I could almost do without that as well but I like to call home, and also if I run into an unexpected hiccup and need to ring the office then I use it. But getting the tablet helped lighten the carry on load considerably for me.

All the best!

Thanks for very balanced reply.

Tablet seems like a luxury item someone buys you as a gift (or you treat yourself too) then rapidly find it indispensable.

I think I will go ahead with the 4.5 inch screen phone first then if I feel the need later, treat myself to a tablet-they will probably be cheaper next year anyway.

I can't see people spending over 20k on a smart phone. Yes, it has a lot of functions but the small screen takes that all away.

In contrast, a tablet with a bigger screen can do all a smart phone can do. You can use it while sitting in a loumge chair, inside a car, lying in bed, and while sitting in the John. Sounds familiar? It's fast in getting the information you want. Also, it's more soothing to the eyes than a laptop or a notebook. The battery also lasts longer.

I'm a kind of old fashioned. Today, I still have my iphone 3s and the ipad one. But, since my wife uses the ipad for playing the bubbles games and for watching soaps, and seafood on youtube most of the time, I need a tablet for myself. Man, that ipad was a birthday gift from our kid and she stole from me!...Still hunting for one. The Samsung Note 10.1, 2014 Edition looks pretty good at the moment.

Edited by muchogra

The Nexus 7 (2) or the Nexus 10 have the best specs for their prices. I have the Nexus 7 (1) and the Nexus 10. Love them both. My iPad and Samsung 15 inch ATIV Windows 8 tablet sit unused. One day, I'll just give them away. I think that Android 4.4 is superior to both Windows 8 and iOS 7.

The Nexus 7 (2) or the Nexus 10 have the best specs for their prices. I have the Nexus 7 (1) and the Nexus 10. Love them both. My iPad and Samsung 15 inch ATIV Windows 8 tablet sit unused. One day, I'll just give them away. I think that Android 4.4 is superior to both Windows 8 and iOS 7.

I did try to look at a Nexus, particularly, Nexus 7, at Central Festival last noon. I didn't see any. Perhaps, you may direct me to somewhere in CM? Thanks!

A tablet is a remarkable device. I have had PCs and laptops but since I bought an i pad, to be honest, I would never go back. I am not young and was naturally dubious when I first started along the tablet route. The best thing a friend did for me was let me handle one and show me how it worked...

I imagine not everyone wold agree and people have special uses for these machines...but for my use which is e mail, photos, web surfing, fact checking and writing notes and longer pieces of literature (The Pages App)...it is perfect.

The features are size..amazing portability..the ability to pick it up quickly and have immediate access to your page or mail etc.. very quick and easy access to all features...just a quick tap on the screen and you've called up a photo and sent it to a friend etc etc ...

Couple it with a $90 bluetooth (cordless) keyboard that can fit right into a special ipad case and you can either use the virtual screen for short typing or the bluetooth for long pieces...

I'm wrapped..

muchogra: Look on Google Play. There is a great ad for the Nexus 7 (2.). There are lots of pictures of the machine and, I think, a video too. Additionally, you can find many video reviews of the Nexus 7 (or any machine for that matter) on YouTube. I believe that the cheapest source for new Nexus machines is Google Play. I ordered a Nexus 10 online here in Tokyo and it was shipped from China and at my doorstep in just two days. Amazing!

Please forgive the slight branching here, but can someone suggest a good tutorial for using Android?

I've already looked through many Youtube videos, read several on-line tutorials, etc., but they all seem to leave out the 'starting point.' They say 'just press xyz icon...' but don't tell you where that is, or 'go to the abc screen' but don't tell you how to get there. I'm a long-time PC user. No problems there. A few months ago I bought an iPad. No problems there. It's very intuitive. But a few days ago I picked up a Samsung tablet and it's got me going in circles. What's the difference between a widget and an app? If I try to sync Chrome, it just sits there...

I love the fact that it's so light weight. I was told I'd come to love the fact that it's open source. I know how to use my iPhone to get what I need but the screen is too small for some of the things I want to do. The 7" tablet screen is just right, but I can't figure out how to get it do go where I need it to go!

Please... tell me where I can find an effective instruction manual or a person who can sit down and show me the ins and outs of Android!

Thanks

• Like 1