Under The Table Work Permits.

Another question, my fellow farangs in need...

Considering the immigration crackdowns that have been occuring recently, does anyone think that it's a good idea to get one of those work permits that are always advertised in the classified section of the Bangkok Post? You know, those ones where it is actually a real work permit issued by the Ministry of Labour, but you're not working where the permit says you are, and doing a different job as well, like a singer or a consultant.

I have considered this avenue but would like other people's opinions.

Thank you,

Robert

Hi

Can you enlighten the readers what firms those are? I'm really curious as I was not aware of one of them.

As for your question, doing any job outside your job position is illegal. Even outside the location.

Case in point from three different government officers yesterday.

The viewpoint is unanimous by the Labor Board, if you are a Foreigner and sell machinery. Your office is in Pattaya but must travel to Phuket to show your product. It's illegal to do so unless you have a work permit for Phuket. The only way to do that is have a branch office. No matter if you have to travel and sell in ten cities. You need ten work permits. Its impossible to get a work permit for all of Thailand.

I do not know of the name of the companies in question but if you pick up the Bangkok Post you will find plenty of advertisements for assistance with work permits. They are mostly legal firms, and obviously their advertisements do not read: 'Under the table work permits for sale'.

I phoned one several weeks ago, and the Thai woman who answered the telephone told me that they list you as being either a consultant or a singer and it is a real work permit and you do pay tax also. I know, as well as everyone else, that this is illegal but even people with real work permits are breaking the law, like teachers who have several teaching jobs outside of the one on their work permit.

Feel free to get in touch again, should you wish to ask any more smart-arsed questions.

Robert

i agree with sunbelt asia, you have to have an address for where you work, i've had this conversation before with musicians who were permited in my bar and then coming to me and saying that they are going to gig elsewhere.

my reply was do so but i'll deny knowing about it.

Robert, i would'nt risk it if i were you, if you encountered a problem you would be blacklisted from working as a start and maybe deported.

also unless you were managing director or had a wotk permit under a registered company you would have to be registered under an agency as some of my musicians were, BUT it still stated on the permit the company and place of were you should work.

good luck