Abhisit due in court over 2010 crackdown

webfact

2010 POLITICAL VIOLENCE
Abhisit due in court over 2010 crackdown

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva will today be indicted over his role in the 2010 military operations to disperse red-shirt demonstrators from Bangkok's streets.

He has confirmed to public prosecutors he will show up at the Criminal Court on Ratchadaphisek Road at 9am today for the formal indictment.

The other defendant in the case, Suthep Thaugsuban, has already made clear he will ask to postpone his presence at the indictment session.

Suthep, now secretary-general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), is leading a massive rally against the so-called "Thaksin regime". "My lawyer will officially ask for the postponement because I now have to tend to other engagements," Suthep said yesterday.

Office of the Attorney-General spokesman Nantasak Poolsak said Abhisit and Suthep would be indicted for giving an order to kill or attempt a killing given that soldiers were allowed to use live bullets during their operations. Moreover, investigations have already shown the military was responsible for at least two deaths and one injured victim.

He said if Suthep did not show up, Abhisit would be indicted first.

"We won't object to his bail request but whether he will receive a temporary release depends on the court's decision," Nantasak said.

The Criminal Court has been stepping up security measures around its compound in preparation for Abhisit's presence. A number of his supporters may show up. Asked whether Suthep's request for postponement of his indictment would be approved, Nantasak said he would first check what reasons Suthep would use.

Asked about Suthep's scheduled meeting with top military leaders, Nantasak said, "If it leads to a better situation, that's an acceptable reason." Nantasak said that it is normal for an indictment to be postponed.

In 2010, Abhisit served as the prime minister, while Suthep was one of his deputies. At the height of the red-shirt rallies, Suthep was director of the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES). Via the CRES, they gave orders for the military to reclaim areas on Rajdamnoen Avenue and the Ratchaprasong intersection occupied by red-shirt demonstrators. Weapons were used during the operations. Democrat legal expert Thaworn Senneam, one of the PDRC leaders, said yesterday that Suthep had his lawyer submit a letter to the court requesting postponement, as he was still busy with the PDRC.

Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said: "I will stage a protest in front of the Metropolitan Police Bureau if Suthep is not arrested within 48 hours," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-12

Will they trot out the much revered video of Khun Abhisit saying "Kill me some reds"? After all, that is the basis for 48% of the citizens thinking that it happened.

I hope he is punished for the 300 dead reds that were dumped out at sea in that rusty shipping container. Must be true cos Mr.A and Mr.T said so.

• Like 1

Will they trot out the much revered video of Khun Abhisit saying "Kill me some reds"? After all, that is the basis for 48% of the citizens thinking that it happened.

I hope he is punished for the 300 dead reds that were dumped out at sea in that rusty shipping container. Must be true cos Mr.A and Mr.T said so.

Don't forget the Ranong (?) skeletons.

if Thaskin got 2 years jail terms because his wife did buy some land in Ratchada, wonder how many century

Abhisit will get for the murder of 90 protester?

.... oh wait the victims were poor farmer!

Edited by Bender
  • Like 1

NOT surprising Suthep asking for a postponement, and it won't be the last I suspect, but did he not say he would hand himself in after his last "final push".

But credit for Mr A. fronting court, If he gave the ok on the use of LIVE fire to retake area's occupied by protesters then he must accept the charge and defend it if he can.

• Like 1

if Thaskin got 2 years jail terms because his wife did buy some land in Ratchada, wonder how many century

Oh wait ... maybe Abhisit isn't guilty. He's certainly not guilty in a personal capacity (which is how he's been charged) as everything that he did was in an official capacity.

Correct. One one can charge him on a personal ground. The question is, did he made a wrong decision by ordering the use of live bullets? I reckon Rubber bullets should be fine at that time, but that is just my opinion..

Oh wait ... maybe Abhisit isn't guilty. He's certainly not guilty in a personal capacity (which is how he's been charged) as everything that he did was in an official capacity.

Correct. One one can charge him on a personal ground. The question is, did he made a wrong decision by ordering the use of live bullets? I reckon Rubber bullets should be fine at that time, but that is just my opinion..

Were you there? Facing men in black snipers, molotov cocktails, sling shots, and a rioting mob of arsonists?

Have you ever been in a situation like that?

NOT surprising Suthep asking for a postponement, and it won't be the last I suspect, but did he not say he would hand himself in after his last "final push".

But credit for Mr A. fronting court, If he gave the ok on the use of LIVE fire to retake area's occupied by protesters then he must accept the charge and defend it if he can.

Suthep seems to have adopted the "Yingluck defense number 3". Every time the Ombudsman ask about her illegal issuing of a passport to her criminal fugitive brother she asks for another 30 days. This guy seems to be doing the same - and the AG's office say is ok if the reason is good enough.

How very reasonable of everyone.

We would need to know the real legal framework that governs what orders a PM gives in such circumstances to really know if there is any legality in the charges. (Rather than something dreamed up by the creative Tarit). Thai law seems to be written very vaguely, with lots of loopholes, which allows considerable room for interpretation and of course manipulation.

If today's decision is to proceed to trial, then the AG, who seems to be taking his time reviewing his predecessor's decision not to prosecute Thaksin on terrorism charges, will have to do something. The evidence that will come out will show that Thaksin was very directly involved with this insurgency and the AG will have to act or be seen to be politically controlled. Also, this will set a precedent. So Yingluck will have to charged, however ridiculous it may seem, with allowing the police to use live rounds this time. She cannot use her normal "Nuremburg no 1 defense" - I didn't know about that, it's not me, give me a chance etc., but no doubt more crocodile tears would be shed, followed by the usual grin.

• Like 1

And how much will Thaksin get for shooting the soldiers?

Posts in violation of this forum rule have been removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

The DSI charged Abhisit and Suthep as individuals with premeditated murder.

So the poor farmers shot 20 or so officials who were trying to restore order? So the poor farmers terrorized Bangkok for months?

when people are shooting at you with real bullets and using real grenades to try to kill you, you do not shoot back with rubber bullets. The use of real bullets was caused purely by the red shirts after the dems had agreed to their demands but the reds wanted more so they started the shooting, the red leaders/thaksin.the ptp are the ones that should be charged with murder

• Like 1

He had to be charged as an individual otherwise Tharit from the DSI couldn't charge him..In other words, Thaksin told Tharit to fabricate the charges and Tharit obeyed to his master.

I believe you know that but I just wanted to let others understand what Thaksin is doing.

Ex-Thai PM Abhisit indicted for murder over 2010 crackdown: prosecutors

BANGKOK, December 12, 2013 (AFP) - Former Thai prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was indicted for murder Thursday in connection with a deadly military crackdown on mass opposition protests in Bangkok three years ago, prosecutors said.

"We have indicted him," Nanthasak Poonsuk, a spokesman for the attorney general's office, told AFP outside the Bangkok court where the closed-door hearing was held. "The court accepts to hear the case."

More than 90 people died and nearly 1,900 were wounded in the crackdown on "Red Shirt" demonstrations against a government headed by Abhisit, who is now opposition leader. The indictment comes as fresh political turmoil shakes the Thai capital.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-12

I am looking forward very much to following the trial and seeing a deeper and deeper hole dug for PT and Thaksin to be laid to rest in. When the ruling is given that AV acted in the interests of the country and is innocent of the charges against him ( as we all know should happen ) it may change a few people's attitudes here..

Deflecting from the thread, are we?

Yes correct that Mr A. should face charges in his official capacity of the order to use live rounds instead of rubber bullets if in fact that order was given by him or not? I would think that there would be a singed document of such an order if indeed an order was given as evidence,

So now this would be between Mr A. and the military involved in the case of the use of live rounds?

Deflecting from the thread, are we?

Ooh. The forum Police is back coffee1.gif .

More nonsense and inaccurate at that.

Thaksin was indeed convicted and chose to flee and become a criminal fugitive rather than appeal and fight through the courts, Why do you think that was? He also chooses to be a fugitive from outstanding serious criminal charges rather than face them in court. Why do you think he does this?

Abhisit has not been tried and convicted yet, but you presume guilty without knowing any evidence, Apart from the Thaksin led propaganda you digest of course.

Not all of the 90 deaths were protesters. The sad loss of life included soldiers and law abiding citizens caught in cross fire or maybe targeted by the mysterious men in black. They certainly weren't all poor farmers were they? Japanese, Italian journalists, nurse - ring any bells for you?

But, like all PTP apologists and sympathizers - don't let truth and facts get in the way.

No not "all PTP apologists and sympathizers - don't let the truth and facts get in the way"