Snap election without reconciliation won't resolve crisis: Thai talk

webfact

THAI TALK
Snap election without reconciliation won't resolve crisis

Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

30221843-01_big.jpg

Extraordinary times demand extraordinary measures, vision and sacrifice.

BANGKOK: -- These are indeed demanding times for Thai politics. Premier Yingluck Shinawatra, by dissolving Parliament to call a snap election, was only beating a retreat. The move wasn't supposed to solve the longstanding, deep-rooted conflict, which promises to rear its ugly head again once the election campaigns begin.

Yingluck sees this as a concession to demands made by protesters led by Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC). But she is portraying the PDRC's demand that she step down from her role as caretaker prime minister as unreasonable, unfair and undemocratic. She claims that while she is adhering to the provisions of the Constitution, Suthep is taking things into his own hands.

Suthep, on the other hand, is citing articles 3 and 7 of the Constitution to demand that Yingluck and her Cabinet quit and make way for a "people's government". This is an extraordinary step, an unprecedented interpretation of charter provisions that has stirred a major controversy over the constitutionality of the protest movement.

But while Yingluck insists she has "heard" the protesters' demand for national reform, the dissolution of Parliament for voters to return to the polling booths is simply a gesture of "business as usual". She probably realises that the protesters expect her to come up with more substantial concessions, in terms of revising the ground rules to draw up a "national agenda", before entering into a new general election.

Both Yingluck and Suthep have to realise that the new "political awakening" of a large segment of the population that has taken to the streets isn't really about a choice between her and him. The clarion call is for some real action to put an end to corruption, cronyism and "money politics" - to clean up Thai politics, in other words.

Though Yingluck may be seen as Thaksin Shinawatra's "puppet", Suthep's background as a streetwise politician isn't all that impressive either, especially in his self-appointment as leader of an anti-corruption movement. The "masses" are demanding a new political scenario that will enable the best and the brightest to join the national debate to change Thailand in fundamental ways. Neither Thaksin's Pheu Thai Party nor Suthep's Democrat Party has been able to provide that kind of leadership so far.

Clearly, Suthep's highly questionable move to set up a "people's government" won't satisfy the protesters' demand for a "democratic and clean political landscape". But then, Yingluck's insistence on a new election to save her government and her party won't resolve the conflict. In fact, it is nothing more than a gimmick to buy time in the hope that the protest will fizzle out and Thaksin's Pheu Thai will return to power with a majority in the House.

This is precisely the scenario that has kept the massive anti-government protest alive. Fear and hatred of the "Thaksin regime" that had been simmering among a large number of Thais for years has finally been brought to the boil by a government-backed amnesty bill to pardon all parties, including those convicted of corruption.

It is therefore imperative that Yingluck come up with "extraordinary measures for extraordinary times" if she wants to resolve the crisis. She must accept the offers from various academic institutions and private groups to sit down with protest leaders and come up with a clear-cut political reform agenda that addresses the social ills that sparked this large-scale protest. And she must do it before the voting begins on February 2.

Each side in this stand-off has accused the other of violating the Constitution. And for politicians, the question of "constitutionality" is always a highly contentious one, especially with each side claiming to be "more democratic" than the other.

But the huge number of people taking to the streets demanding "change" are not talking about constitutionality. They want "democracy" that offers them and their children hope of a better life. They want a country in which money can't buy everything, and a political system, whatever the label, that doesn't allow the richest families to control the destiny of the rest of the population.

One can sympathise with Premier Yingluck in her pleas for understanding from the protesters. Yingluck said: "I have already made all the concessions possible. I have retreated as far as I can. I don't know how to retreat further."

One can also appreciate the emotional response from the prime minister when asked about demands by protesters that her family leave the country. She told reporters: "I am not without feelings. I have heard their calls. As for the one about my family, I am also Thai. Will there be no place for me here? Is this what is going to happen?"

Perhaps, in one of his quiet moments, Thaksin, closely monitoring the protesters' statements from somewhere near Thailand, might be struggling with the question: "Why is it that that so many Thais hate me?"

If the answer is: "Perhaps it's because I love democracy and they don't", then we still have a long way to go before reaching real reconciliation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-12

Suthep either way at or before election time is not a contender going forward. The Democrats and Pheu Thai still are. The Democrats will be prepared to play ball on reform. This article is dead correct that unless Thaksin is prepared to actually sit Pheu Thai down in serious reform talks (as opposed to their previous BS offers) with all parties then within short time we will back where we are now. And judging from his puppet sisters comments as per this article and her crocodile tears/filthy sneer video capture from just this week the likelihood of that right now is very low.

• Like 1

I know i'm going to get it in the back here, but i really can't see what she did wrong. The ammount of rubbish she had to pick up as well as ppl that change there mind in a millisecond, please tell me who could do a better job?? Lets see,,,,,Oh yes same time next year then

The amnesty bill was wrong. The off budget 2.2 trillion baht infrastructure bill was wrong. The 350 billion baht flood projects bill was wrong. The Skype calls from her brother were wrong. Not spending any time in parliament was wrong. Crying when giving a speech, and then giving a smirk afterwards was wrong.

I'm sure some other posters could find some more things that she did wrong.

Sent from my phone ...

Yingluck set the character of her government when right off the bat she not only rejected the findings of the Truth and reconciliation commission but disbanded it.

I think the more pertinent question is, What did she do right?

• Like 2

Would add that Thaksin should use our westerners Christmas to reflect on where he stands right now. It will be painfully obvious to him now that that he is never coming back to Thailand with everything that he, his family and Pheu Thai have by their own hands currently stacked against themselves. He can carry on with the current path and stay for ever locked out of Thailand and also gradually see the rest of his family suffer the same fate or accept he has been stopped and actually take the other path that the people are demanding. Up to him. I somehow think that if Pheu Thai actually did reform to a democratic path then the likelihood that he would one day in the future be able to come back to Thailand would be a distinct possibly, and perhaps along with the rest of the political criminals and idiots be even free of doing jail time.

I know i'm going to get it in the back here, but i really can't see what she did wrong. The ammount of rubbish she had to pick up as well as ppl that change there mind in a millisecond, please tell me who could do a better job?? Lets see,,,,,Oh yes same time next year then

Who could do a better job? Seriously? Pretty much anyone, even a child could have done a better job. She's been the worst PM I've ever seen in any country and hasn't changed or improved whatsoever since taking the reins. Just take a look at ANY video of her being interviewed. Dumb blonde would be an accurate description, except that's insulting to blondes. Guess that's what happens to puppets, no minds of their own.

• Like 1

The Dems are going through the process of reforming their political makeup and agenda to make them more relevant and acceptable to Thailands electorate who demand more democratic reforms.

Really? What reforms are the Dems actually making? I don't believe I've heard any unless the support of a "Peoples Council" counts. Which in itself puts them out of the picture.

Their failure to adjust their policies and adapt to the changing demands of the electorate have repeatedly left them trailing at the polls.

They continue to fail the electorate by their mass resignation from the House and it would be no great surprise if they decide to boycott the upcoming election.

The thing with a democracy is that you have to be in it to win it. Something the Democrats fail to understand.

They are undoubtedly a large part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Edited by wave
  • Like 1

Our dear barbie doll PM NEVER HAD a say in the first place. All her International trips were sponsored courtesy of her brother and his goons.

Snap elections is the best case scenario for the ruling party, because they can spend all their stolen taxpayers' money to vote buy again and stay in power clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

About Article 7: "This is an extraordinary step, an unprecedented interpretation of charter provisions"

Not unprecedented at all. Anti-Thaksin protesters in 2006 also demanded an appointed PM under article 7. And it was denied by HM the King, saying that was undemocratic and a wrong interpretation of the charter. Suthep is treading on dangerous ground here.The truth of the matter is, Suthep is just trying to replay the 2006 cycle of events as faithfully as he can until the army gets the hint.

Of course PT should probably give out a strong message that they are committed to bilateral reform after the elections, and give assurances that they will not push for amnesty again. This won't quiet Suthep but it should send some of his supporters home, and more importantly calm down the generals who are getting fidgety.

Who could do a better job? Seriously? Pretty much anyone, even a child could have done a better job. She's been the worst PM I've ever seen in any country and hasn't changed or improved whatsoever since taking the reins. Just take a look at ANY video of her being interviewed. Dumb blonde would be an accurate description, except that's insulting to blondes. Guess that's what happens to puppets, no minds of their own.

Some posters seem to be just a bit uninformed and not very aware of political process. Yingluck heads a majority government that includes a coalition of several smaller parties. It's one of the problems of any prime minister in Thailand, - how to please everyone. She has not single handedly, or with her brother's advice, devised the rice pledging scheme or the other major initiatives. While I don't support her politics, having met and talked to her, I think she is competent, intelligent and much underestimated. She may be naive but doesn't deserve the 'dumb blonde' image which doesn't even deserve a comment

Some posters seem to be just a bit uninformed and not very aware of political process. Yingluck heads a majority government that includes a coalition of several smaller parties. It's one of the problems of any prime minister in Thailand, - how to please everyone. She has not single handedly, or with her brother's advice, devised the rice pledging scheme or the other major initiatives. While I don't support her politics, having met and talked to her, I think she is competent, intelligent and much underestimated. She may be naive but doesn't deserve the 'dumb blonde' image which doesn't even deserve a comment

Thanks for the condescending post. I'm well aware of "how" the political process "should" work and how it "actually" works here. I think you yourself calling her "naive" pretty much sums her up. Not sure how her being naive can also make her competent, intelligent or underestimated however.

• Like 1

Thanks for the condescending post. I'm well aware of "how" the political process "should" work and how it "actually" works here. I think you yourself calling her "naive" pretty much sums her up. Not sure how her being naive can also make her competent, intelligent or underestimated however.

I have no intention of being condescending, apologies if it seems that way. But the tendency to blame or assume that one person is responsible for policy - whatever the party,is just not the case. Yingluck has never been a politician before, so yes, she is bound to be naive, but that has nothing to do with her intelligence or competence, and she still deserves respect.

The various factions are far to polarized to allow for reconciliation through dialogue. It simply can not and will not happen.

Just reflect on the past 3 decades. If you don't like what your getting ,then simple stop doing what you are doing

The only chance for reconciliation to occur will be through a gradual process through the rule of law and fair and equitable justice for all;

The Thai people did not break this . It was the greedy,self serving and ineffectual politicians that have brought this nation to the position it is in today and only good governance, diligent and fair justice for all as equals and the removal of rampant corruption from this culture in all aspects of administration and authority will serve to bring change. This will require patience and a strong and dedicated government working on behalf of the greater good and no longer for self interest. Not impossible but a very tall order indeed.

I have no intention of being condescending, apologies if it seems that way. But the tendency to blame or assume that one person is responsible for policy - whatever the party,is just not the case. Yingluck has never been a politician before, so yes, she is bound to be naive, but that has nothing to do with her intelligence or competence, and she still deserves respect.

As always, people have differing views. For me, respect is earned, and she has done nothing to encourage me to respect her or her family, quite the opposite in fact.

As for competence and intelligence, again I see nothing to indicate she is either intelligent or competent in anything she has done. Everything she has, everything she has done, she's been given or she's been told what to do. I just don't see what you see I'm afraid.

• Like 1

How many nano seconds did you talk to her for? laugh.png (Telling you didn't say 'with' her).

How many nano seconds did you talk to her for? laugh.png (Telling you didn't say 'with' her).

About 20 minutes, with her, while she was on a tour of regional Thailand

The Dems are going through the process of reforming their political makeup and agenda to make them more relevant and acceptable to Thailands electorate who demand more democratic reforms.

Really? What reforms are the Dems actually making? I don't believe I've heard any unless the support of a "Peoples Council" counts. Which in itself puts them out of the picture.

Their failure to adjust their policies and adapt to the changing demands of the electorate have repeatedly left them trailing at the polls.

They continue to fail the electorate by their mass resignation from the House and it would be no great surprise if they decide to boycott the upcoming election.

The thing with a democracy is that you have to be in it to win it. Something the Democrats fail to understand.

They are undoubtedly a large part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Dear wave, I will excuse you ignorant and bias post because it appears you are new to this posting lark. It is Suthep and the anti-government protestor that are calling for a "people council". not the Democrat party. It was the failure of the Democrat party to outbid the PTP's unrealistic populist policies and a boycott by the PAD supporter that resulted in them trailing at the polls. However, it seem you have forgotten that they have won every by by-election except Chang Mai since the last general election. The Democrat party didn't resign some of their member did.

It may surprise you but democracy cant be won, it isn't a lottery, it is a system in which each individual has equality, it has to be worked at and needs to be accepted by the majority, the Democrats understand this, you it appears do not.

The entire problem is one criminal wants Thailand to function as his personal fiefdom, controlled by his puppet government and enforce by his paid thugs, for his benefit alone.

Edited by waza

The amnesty bill was wrong. The off budget 2.2 trillion baht infrastructure bill was wrong. The 350 billion baht flood projects bill was wrong. The Skype calls from her brother were wrong. Not spending any time in parliament was wrong. Crying when giving a speech, and then giving a smirk afterwards was wrong.

Sent from my phone ...

Actually... while the amnesty bill was doubtless a bad step, this country really does need serious infrastructure projects, and flood prevention projects. She should have made those the main focus instead of amnesty and charter reform.

competent, intelligent and much underestimated

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You must be thinking of something else, your dear leader has done nothing that I would use any of these words about her....

Sent from my phone ...

A troll message if ever there was one. Lobbying forum members for an endless litany of how they think Yingluck has made errors is not of any use to debate, and you know it.

Dear wave, I will excuse you ignorant and bias post because it appears you are new to this posting lark. It is Suthep and the anti-government protestor that are calling for a "people council". not the Democrat party. It was the failure of the Democrat party to outbid the PTP's unrealistic populist policies and a boycott by the PAD supporter that resulted in them trailing at the polls. However, it seem you have forgotten that they have won every by by-election except Chang Mai since the last general election. The Democrat party didn't resign some of their member did.

It may surprise you but democracy cant be won, it isn't a lottery, it is a system in which each individual has equality, it has to be worked at and needs to be accepted by the majority, the Democrats understand this, you it appears do not.

The entire problem is one criminal wants Thailand to function as his personal fiefdom, controlled by his puppet government and enforce by his paid thugs, for his benefit alone.

The ex members of the "democrat" party resigned specifically to avoid dissolution when they backed suthep both physically and financially. They are linked to Suthep no matter what you say.

By the way, I'm not overly impressed by the resigning of the the MP's. The leader of the Party made the grand gesture of stepping down after losing the last election but stepped up again a week later.

Good article it really sees it the way I see it. The protestors just want corruption to go away. Neither side seems to want to do concessions about this and as long as YL does not do a thing about it the protests will stay on. They won't support a dictatorship by Suthep either, they just want an end to croneysm and corruption (as far as possible) The side that is going to promise and deliver that will win. Good things might come out of all of this.

Maybe you can outline these reforms that you claim that the Democrats are making as I am unaware of any?

I would also add that Abshit, as leader of the Democrats, joining the street protests, would imply that the Democrats give tacit support to Sutheps plans.

With reference to my comment "you have to be in it to win it" refers to the resignation from the house of Democrat MP`s. It removes them from the democratic process and additionally lets down the people who voted for them.

The winning of by-elections historically has very little bearing on the outcome of General elections.

The Democrats have consistently failed in forming a majority government for the last 20 years, this predates all the incarnations of the current "Thaksin Regime"

PAD policy of boycotting is generally accepted to have had a negligible effect on the outcome of the last Election.

To claim that PTP outbid them Democrats on "unrealistic populist policies" just sounds like sour grapes,

The fact is PTP offered a policy platform that was more attractive to a larger percentage of the eligible voters,

• Like 1

The ex members of the "democrat" party resigned specifically to avoid dissolution when they backed suthep both physically and financially. They are linked to Suthep no matter what you say.

By the way, I'm not overly impressed by the resigning of the the MP's. The leader of the Party made the grand gesture of stepping down after losing the last election but stepped up again a week later.

"A troll message if ever there was one."

Dear Fabby, thanks for sharing this meaningless off topic post, specifically designed to bait posters to engage in more off topic banter.

PS: I agree with Abihist, "Yingluck is a stupid bitch" (I know its off topic but it makes as much sense as your post)

Edited by waza

Maybe you can outline these reforms that you claim that the Democrats are making as I am unaware of any?

I would also add that Abshit, as leader of the Democrats, joining the street protests, would imply that the Democrats give tacit support to Sutheps plans.

With reference to my comment "you have to be in it to win it" refers to the resignation from the house of Democrat MP`s. It removes them from the democratic process and additionally lets down the people who voted for them.

The winning of by-elections historically has very little bearing on the outcome of General elections.

The Democrats have consistently failed in forming a majority government for the last 20 years, this predates all the incarnations of the current "Thaksin Regime"

PAD policy of boycotting is generally accepted to have had a negligible effect on the outcome of the last Election.

To claim that PTP outbid them Democrats on "unrealistic populist policies" just sounds like sour grapes,

The fact is PTP offered a policy platform that was more attractive to a larger percentage of the eligible voters,

Do your own research, coffee1.gif

Sent from my phone ...

Actually... while the amnesty bill was doubtless a bad step, this country really does need serious infrastructure projects, and flood prevention projects. She should have made those the main focus instead of amnesty and charter reform.

The infrastructure and flood projects are definitely needed, but they should be done within the controls and oversight of normal budget processes.

The only thing that will resolve the political impasse is a fresh start with a clean sheet

A caretaker government for 1 year by the military.

Dissolution of all current political parties ( they're all rotten one way or another ) and baring from politics of all current politicians ...Yingluk Suthep Banharn ....the whole lot.

The formation of new political parties who must submit their prospective MP's to minute examination

Each party to publish a manifesto with its aims and economical ideas clearly stated.

New elections 1 year later