Tourism Authority of Thailand update on the current situation for tourists in Bangkok

webfact

Tourism Authority of Thailand update on the current situation for tourists in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The ongoing anti-government demonstrations in Bangkok have been peaceful and are contained within one area in the city’s historic and government quarter. As of today, the demonstrators’ main stages are at Phitsanulok Road and Nang Lerng Junction near Government House and Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Klang Avenue.

Tourist attractions and activities in Bangkok are open and operating as per normal, but tourists are advised to be vigilant and avoid areas where crowds may gather. It should be stressed that tourists have not been targeted in the ongoing political demonstrations.

International and domestic airlines are operating flights between Bangkok and Thai cities, as well as destinations around the world, as per normal. Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airports in Bangkok, as well as other local and international airports throughout the country, are open and operating as usual.

All means of city transportation are open and operating as per normal, including BMTA bus and van, BTS skytrain, MRT subway, Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link’s express and city lines, water-transport (ferries, boats, long-tailed boats and hotels’ converted rice barge cruises), and taxi.

Source: http://www.eturbonews.com/40596/tourism-authority-thailand-update-current-situation-tourists-ban

-- eTN 2013-12-12

I would never, ever tell anyone to stay away from BKK, it is fine, always has been and always will be. I'm pretty sure it is alot more unsafe from the cities the tourists come from. Riots in London, Spanish ETA etc....oh come on

What protests? I live in Bangkok and you wouldnt even know there was any trouble. You only notice it if you live in the government district around the palace and monument intersection.

Who are they going to replace Yingluck with ? A decent moral PM for once. No chance in the world. The next gov will be just as bad as the former.

Nothing changes in Thailand.

• Like 2

What protests? I live in Bangkok and you wouldnt even know there was any trouble. You only notice it if you live in the government district around the palace and monument intersection.

Who are they going to replace Yingluck with ? A decent moral PM for once. No chance in the world. The next gov will be just as bad as the former.

A decent moral PM, I like that! Just a bit of a struggle for me to think of one from anywhere nevermind Thailand. I suppose Tony Blair could do it... oops perhaps not, US Presidents past and present, they could employ drones against the protesters I suppose. Yingluck is looking better and better all the time.

A decent moral PM, I like that! Just a bit of a struggle for me to think of one from anywhere nevermind Thailand. I suppose Tony Blair could do it... oops perhaps not, US Presidents past and present, they could employ drones against the protesters I suppose. Yingluck is looking better and better all the time.

Has she (Yingluck) really done anything wrong as PM or out of line with normal practise here?

• Like 1

There must be some impact on tourism as the quoted hotel rates on the site I use regularly (Agoda) seem well below average for this time of year. In fact, I canceled a reservation I made in late September so I could upgrade for my stay in 2 weeks. .

Has she (Yingluck) really done anything wrong as PM or out of line with normal practise here?

Yes

• Like 1

For now, things are completely normal. No sign of protests, all shopping centres open , BTS running as usual, tourists enjoying themselves, vendors vending, hawkers hawking, restaurants open, cool breeze blowing. Of course it can change, but for now everything is fine.

IMO opinion tourism in Bkk is getting whacked at the moment. That is why you keep seeing TAT make these announcements. Sure people might still come into Thailand but then will short hop it to Phuket CM Krabi ... or other islands.

I go to Baiyoke Tower every week or two and pre-protest the buses were lining up to get into the area to drop off people. Last visit two days ago ... there were 2 buses outside the tower ...

Been at the sauce already?

Women always look better after a few. wink.png

• Like 1

Uh, where to begin. Firstly, why don't you tell us what you think she has done right ?!?! whistling.gif

wait till airports close for a week or two, as in 2008.

easy to come now, much more difficult to leave later

TAT will announce "Thousands of tourists love Thailand so much, they have decided to extend their stay."

My wife would not let us leave our road for 2 days. They have their own news network.

Otherwise, you are quite right, what's the alternative? I guess better remove 'the clan' from power though.

I live in Bangkok and the protests have not affected me in the least so I would have no problem recommending for any friends to come to Bangkok, no different from any other capital city any ware in the world good and bad every ware in the world.

Spoke with a friend who went to Bangkok on Monday. I guess the skytrain's entrances were packed with protesters. Had to take a scooter taxi for 150B from Ekamai to Wireless Road. Transport doesn't appear to be "normal".

No, not normal. That's more than the price of a taxi!

I would never, ever tell anyone to stay away from BKK, it is fine, always has been and always will be. I'm pretty sure it is alot more unsafe from the cities the tourists come from. Riots in London, Spanish ETA etc....oh come on

in a country where there is the rich and the poor ....and the poor get really fed up , there is a chance that one of them quiet a bit jalous about your lovely farang life style kick your ass one day.

my self, i would say to all foreigners who go to bangkok or anywhere else in the world to be only very carefull when there is big political problems like in thailand.don't convert your holidays in a nightmare.

Your words the next government will be just as bad as the former ????? impossible. The problem all stems from the FAMILY, not so much from the actual government--they are only doing what they are told so as to keep their noses in the trough.

You cannot have a ex PM a convicted man running the government, with his family in stranglehold positions, it is not normal, it smells of corruption. It seems to have to have this big ego power thing, publicity, VIP, --sad image really, I nearly feel sorry for them. It IS time for them to step out of the limelight and go enjoy their money together, be happy with what you have.

Thailand will have to pick up the pieces. I have a big feeling come an election, there will be some big surprizes WITHOUT this family and its wealth interfering.

What is it with people who have got what they want, and still not being satisfied want more and more ???? enough is enough. GREED is what you have taught the Thai people, who now get what they can when they can, they only copy the tutors.

Tourism will get back to something like when the smoke settles BUT the TAT will have to go and be replaced with a workmanlike body who does not need 6 billion annual Baht. Giving true broken down figures of the different kinds of arrivals, not spout about the amount of entries and class them as tourists--STUPID.

You are just a miserable trouble maker, there is no evidence that the Yingluck government is or ever were corrupt.

For now, things are completely normal. No sign of protests, all shopping centres open , BTS running as usual, tourists enjoying themselves, vendors vending, hawkers hawking, restaurants open, cool breeze blowing. Of course it can change, but for now everything is fine.

Tourists in fear for their lives in Bangkok are more than welcome in Pattaya where they can spend a pleasant day enjoying a pleasant walk along the partly finished Beach Road and have fun on one of the many jet skis for hire.

I live in Bangkok and the protests have not affected me in the least so I would have no problem recommending for any friends to come to Bangkok, no different from any other capital city any ware in the world good and bad every ware in the world.

i agree with that comment, i leave in ubon ratchathani and it is honestly really quiet.

well i am going to tell you why....issan is about 90% red shirt, so they went to all villages and gave money to all old people or people who are not working to go to manifest in bangkok.they organized everything, buses, train etc and everybody get paid just to sit down and do nothing,...so why not going ?

and now i ask myself......where does money come from ?who pays?

2 weeks ago we had new election for "ho bor tor"....(like to elect the new maire or boss of the institution of the village), well same story, people interested in winning go to each house , talk to people and give money to get the vote from them, they also buy a lot of alcool, like this they get pissed they are happy and next day they go to vote.myself i am against this, so i told my wife not to accept money, so sometimes they come with some beers just to make friends, i am not going to change anything anyway, so we have a free drink.

thats the normal way the people get elected, at least where i leave, but i am pretty sure must be the same every where.

• Like 1

Your words the next government will be just as bad as the former ????? impossible. The problem all stems from the FAMILY, not so much from the actual government--they are only doing what they are told so as to keep their noses in the trough.

You cannot have a ex PM a convicted man running the government, with his family in stranglehold positions, it is not normal, it smells of corruption. It seems to have to have this big ego power thing, publicity, VIP, --sad image really, I nearly feel sorry for them. It IS time for them to step out of the limelight and go enjoy their money together, be happy with what you have.

Thailand will have to pick up the pieces. I have a big feeling come an election, there will be some big surprizes WITHOUT this family and its wealth interfering.

What is it with people who have got what they want, and still not being satisfied want more and more ???? enough is enough. GREED is what you have taught the Thai people, who now get what they can when they can, they only copy the tutors.

Tourism will get back to something like when the smoke settles BUT the TAT will have to go and be replaced with a workmanlike body who does not need 6 billion annual Baht. Giving true broken down figures of the different kinds of arrivals, not spout about the amount of entries and class them as tourists--STUPID.

You are just a miserable trouble maker, there is no evidence that the Yingluck government is or ever were corrupt.

Well done - posting the most senseless comment on a thread yet again.

There are so many ways that the PTP government has maintained Thaksin's high level of corruption. Here's just one example: the attempted amnesty bill. Not only would it free Thaksin from his convistion and pending cases, but around 25,000 potential corruption cases being investigated by the NACC. PTP are not just corrupt - they want to set a precedent that corruption will be forgiven.

• Like 2

How can you possibly say that Tony Blair or the US president is as bad? It's such a stupid comment. Sure there are dishonest people everywhere BUT the UK and US governments are certainly not plagued with nepotism and 30% of the GDP does not go missing. Just look at what goes on here, in the open for all to see,, the rice pledging, the missing flood prevention money, tablets for schools etc, etc,, this would never happen in the US or UK.

I have seen in the fairly recent past MP's in the UK who were abusing the expenses system but we are talking about thousands of pounds not hundreds of millions,, and in those cases the MP's were exposed, investigated and dealt with,, remember in some cases just for a few thousand pounds they lost their jobs. Here it would be swept under the carpet and no one would answer or discuss it. So there may be some form of corruption in the UK/US but it is not huge, not visible and not condoned.

Also, the ridiculous statements that the Thai PM makes,, remember the potential flooding,, the PM said they had a plan of positioning boats along the river and if the water got too high to use the boat propellors to push the water in a different direction.. I could go on, I have laughed out loud at many of these things as have many others.

So, please be serious, there is no comparison. No government is perfect but it has to be said this one is at the bottom of the pile for all the reasons that you and everyone already knows.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I am, am I ?? You getting your knickers in a twist because I am trying to tell the truth ??? Miserable--ha ha not anymore now I have just read your comments.

No evidence re corruption, when internationally the have been given marker as one of the most corrupt countries. But how would they know ???

Maybe they are miserable trouble makers ??? give us your list of good deeds in the last 2 years that this government has achieved and be honest give us a list of the downs and mistakes (in your face) mistakes they have made... I dare you to do that. bet your good company my friend, pity about your complete denial.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

What a ridiculous remark from a poster, showing your true colours are we ??? you say NO evidence ?? only this week Thailand was awarded the honourable mark internationally as one of the most corrupt countries, that is just making your remark silly. why are you in denial ??? what have you to gain.