Pheu Thai derides Democrats' polls hesitation

webfact

Pheu Thai Derides Democrats' Polls Hesitation
By Khaosod Online

dem.jpg
Mr. Chavanond Intarakomalyasut

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party is still hesitant on whether to run for the next election, believed to take place on 2 February 2014.

Mr. Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, spokesman of the Democrat Party, said yesterday that members of the party will discuss about the question during the party′s general assembly on 16-17 December.

In the press conference, Mr. Chavanond said the general assembly was initially scheduled to take place on 23-24 December, but political situation has forced the party executives to hasten the schedule.

But a well-informed source reported that Democrat chairman, Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva, has already chaired a private discussion with a number of high-ranking Democrat members.

"The discussion was done in a very tense atmosphere," the source said, adding that the Democrat leaders were divided into two groups of opinions: those in favour of running in the next election, and those who are not.

According to the source, some members were concerned that if the Democrat Party announced to take part in the election, they would risk anger former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban, who is leading a protest movement against PM Yingluck Shinawatra, and has called for an unelected ′People′s Council′ as the solution for Thailand instead of an election.

Endorsing the new election would alienate Mr. Suthep′s supporters, this faction of the Democrat Party reportedly argued.

However, an opposing view in the party leadership contended that it would be very difficult for the Democrat Party to explain their rejection of the election to the public.

"It′s a sensitive topic, and Mr. Abhisit is unlikely to decide on the matter at this moment," the source informed Khaosod. The source also claimed that the Democrat Party leadership has decided that they still have some time to debate the matter before the deadline for election application on 23 December.

The news reports that the Democrat Party is ambiguous in its stance toward the upcoming election has led chairman of the Pheu Thai Party, Mr. Jarupong Ruangsuwan to mock the opposition party in a press conference earlier today.

"I want to invite the [Democrat Party] to come out and do an elephant battle in the open," Mr. Jarupong said, after stating that Pheu Thai is ready to face its rival in the polls, "The elephant should leave the shade of the trees already. Don′t just stand there".

He also derided the Democrat Party for claiming that the majority of Thai people has supported its campaign against the government, yet it feared to take part in an election.

Asked whether he is concerned that the Democrat Party might boycott the election, Mr. Jarupong admitted he was indeed concerned by the possibility, but said the public would judge the action of the Democrat Party.

Mr. Jarupong also told reporters that although Pheu Thai leadership wants Ms. Yingluck to run in the election as the prime contender again, it solely depends on Ms. Yingluck′s decision whether she will do so.

Nevertheless, the Pheu Thai chairman stressed that the party has not named any other person to run in Ms. Yingluck′s place neither.

"We have only Ms. Yingluck. No other name," Mr. Jarupong insisted.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5qZ3pOekEwTVE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-12

Lost before they start.

"According to the source, some members were concerned that if the Democrat Party announced to take part in the election, they would risk anger former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban, who is leading a protest movement against PM Yingluck Shinawatra, and has called for an unelected ′People′s Council′ as the solution for Thailand instead of an election.

Endorsing the new election would alienate Mr. Suthep′s supporters, this faction of the Democrat Party reportedly argued."

Seriously!They have to disassociate from Suthep, he is costing them dear by the day.

• Like 2

Well if they don't stand for election on Feb 2nd I hope they have the decency to change their name.

What they have to do is up their game like never before, show that they have meaningful alternative policies that will benefit Thailand and individuals alike and just as relevant expose all the corruption of the ruling party and how it's policies are seen to have failed.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not standing in a democratic election tut tut afraid are we?

I think the one afraid on Monday morning at 8.30 am was Yingluck.

The enormous crowds opposed to her family's participation in politics seems to have genuinely startled her, as if she had just realized it for the first time!

The theme of this election campaign will be reform in Thailand ( thank you Kamnan Suthep)..

I look forward to hearing Yingluck's views on this hot subject.

Could it be, that Pheu Thai is scared to have to stand in an election without the opposition? Not counting the smaller parties, it would look very bad in the eyes of the foreign governments, if Taksin/Yingluck get elected but without an opposition party standing against them.

And there is something else to keep in mind: If the Democrats can avoid 5% of all MPs to be elected, the parliament can't start to function. For the first session there must be 95% of all elegible members present. If not, then nothing goes. Quirk of the constitution... I think that was used in 2006 or 2007 already. And the first session has to be within a certain time after the election date. Now factor in some re-elections needed due to election-rigging and you are left with very little time... And I can imagine, that there are some areas, where nobody dares to stand against the Democrats or to overturn their election boycott. And if only one candidate stands for election, he or she must get at least 20% of all elegible voters. And that's also a toughie, as normally only 50% or less go to vote...

That could also be the thinking of some political heads...

Who made it so difficult for the Pheu Thai Bigwigs to get to where the money is paid out?...

Sam M.

• Like 1

How about, for a change, an election campaign with televised debates? Problem is, in Thailand, too many politicians are on a hair trigger - with defamation suits. Image counts for a lot more than substance.

In the end, if the popular vote, paid for or not, favors PT and the Shinawatres, the Thai people have no one to blame but themselves - for all the ensuing problems.

• Like 1

I think the one afraid on Monday morning at 8.30 am was Yingluck.

The enormous crowds opposed to her family's participation in politics seems to have genuinely startled her, as if she had just realized it for the first time!

The theme of this election campaign will be reform in Thailand ( thank you Kamnan Suthep)..

I look forward to hearing Yingluck's views on this hot subject.

She's already given her view. Let's organize a nice big forum and invite politicians, civil servants, academics, professionals, why even some ordinary people. She will, she says, listen to all ideas. And do sweet FA apart from calling big brother. He'll tell her to form a few committees with nice budgets as usual to occupy the fools and keep them happy.

Meantime its business as usual for the clan.

It's all about the money. The coalition parties has stolen billions over the last 2 years and are well prepared for elections, whereas the Dems have limited funds and have to raise money from donors. They may feel that having a re-run of the last parliament would be poor use of their funds and the chances are that the government would not last long anyway, necessitating more elections within 6 months. Better keep their powder dry.

Only one candidate?

Is the telegraph pole otherwise engaged then?

My sources tell me that it was in pole-position, until Thaksin Skyped-in his instructions, a few hours after his sister had announced that she would dissolve Parliament ! rolleyes.gif

The Dems seem to need longer, to meet & agree their election-strategy, than a party where only the owner gets to vote ? wink.png

I don't think Ms Yingluck really wants the job. She's plenty rich enough to go jetting around the world to places with great name-brand shopping, without doing it with an entourage of fifty limp-wristed government minders - all getting free 1st class flights and taxpayer-paid ritzy hotel rooms.

Here's a challenge to Mr. "I'm through with Politics" Thaksin: Come on back, man. Let's see if you're half the man you purport to be. You're the candidate. Your sister is a proxy by anyone's definition. Nobody will dare slap cuffs on your wrists and arrest you, I promise.

Edited by boomerangutang

Democrats are in a bit of a corner at the moment.

If they do stand, and they lose, and Yingluck/Thaksin are still in charge,

Democracy in Thailand is very broken

Democracy is very broken only if you think that the majority of the population choosing its leadership is not democratic !!!

I dont much like the Tacky administrations.. But the majority of the people do.. Welcome to democracy..

Could it be, that Pheu Thai is scared to have to stand in an election without the opposition? Not counting the smaller parties, it would look very bad in the eyes of the foreign governments, if Taksin/Yingluck get elected but without an opposition party standing against them.

And there is something else to keep in mind: If the Democrats can avoid 5% of all MPs to be elected, the parliament can't start to function. For the first session there must be 95% of all elegible members present. If not, then nothing goes. Quirk of the constitution... I think that was used in 2006 or 2007 already. And the first session has to be within a certain time after the election date. Now factor in some re-elections needed due to election-rigging and you are left with very little time... And I can imagine, that there are some areas, where nobody dares to stand against the Democrats or to overturn their election boycott. And if only one candidate stands for election, he or she must get at least 20% of all elegible voters. And that's also a toughie, as normally only 50% or less go to vote...

That could also be the thinking of some political heads...

Who made it so difficult for the Pheu Thai Bigwigs to get to where the money is paid out?...

Sam M.

Last time it happened. the south was mostly unrepresented in parliament. The other parties didn't get enough votes to validate the process.

Democracy is very broken only if you think that the majority of the population choosing its leadership is not democratic !!!

I dont much like the Tacky administrations.. But the majority of the people do.. Welcome to democracy..

48% isn't a majority.

Do they really choose? How much of that choosing is influenced by vote buy and the local village head's instructions?

• Like 2

Mr. Jarupong also told reporters that although Pheu Thai leadership wants Ms. Yingluck to run in the election as the prime contender again, it solely depends on Ms. Yingluck′s decision whether she will do so.

Oh huh, yeah sure, it solely depends on Ms. Yingluck's decision...(Skype must be down for the duration)

• Like 1

It is not a democratic election, there has never been a democratic election in Thailand

Buying votes and intimidating opposition candidates do not make for a democratic election

Au contraire, I submit that they have been democratic elections in Thailand.

Perchance there is some confusion between "democratic elections" (which Thailand have) and "free and fair elections" (which, well, not so much).

But why not ?? the Dems are by far the biggest and most popular party in Thailand i keep reading it here so it must be true....... i dont see the problem take part get the biggest and most popular party by far to go vote end of problem....

Win then reform everything , its sooo simple when you have by far the biggest and most popular party, after all its what the people want right whistling.gif

• Like 1