retirement police report

Many thanks for your help everyone. Myself I applied here in LOS and had to supply a police report. My friend lives near Hull in UK I know they have a consulate there so will pass on all your info.l

What did you apply for that required a police report?

Retirement extensions do not require a police report.

I was single and simply asked for retirement visa based on a 65,000 baht monthly pension also had to get a medical report.

Many thanks for your help everyone. Myself I applied here in LOS and had to supply a police report. My friend lives near Hull in UK I know they have a consulate there so will pass on all your info.l

What did you apply for that required a police report?

Retirement extensions do not require a police report.

I was single and simply asked for retirement visa based on a 65,000 baht monthly pension also had to get a medical report.
Neither was required. Were you asked for told you needed them? Or were you under the impression you needed them? Which immigration office?

There have been some offices still asking for a medical certificate.

In Canada (legal system based on British common law) you can get a pardon after a period (5 years I think) and get it expunged

from you record if you have been on the straight and narrow.

A police report is is only needed for a OA visa application.

He can get a non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates based upon marriage to a Thai. And then get an extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage or retirement.

Not quite true... Thai Permanent Residence 'PR' application also asks for (amongst many other things), a criminal record background check in both Thailand and your passport country, together with DNA and fingerprint tests to verify you're not flagged on any international criminal databases, and are not a Thai 'persona-non-grata'

Both myself and my family have been through this process over the last few months, which is conducted at Thai Police HQ in Bangkok.

For United Kingdom passport holders, the Criminal record certificate is obtained from ACPO 'The Association of Chief Police Officers' information is given on the ACPO website here http://www.acro.police.uk . The certificate takes a month or two before it is delivered to you.

My old eyes detected more than ten anti tamper devices in the certificate printing format - it is at least as secure as a bank note, and could well be printed at the Royal Mint for all the trouble that has gone into making it secure.

For Thai admin/visa purposes (in my instance) a certified copy of the ACPO document had to be notarised at the British Embassy prior to handing over to Bangkok Immigration for due process...

I have attached an example certificate of a well known suspicious character for your perusal giggle.gif

attachicon.gifDonald Duck ACPO Cert.jpg

The report will state either

'NO TRACE’ meaning no criminal record on file

'NO LIVE TRACE' meaning that you have a criminal record, but that it is deemed no longer relevant. It does remain in your criminal history file though.

'FURTHER INFORMATION STEPPED DOWN' meaning active criminal record (non-expired) with citations listed on the certificate. Not good.

xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.g6eSBeV0mM.w

More information on the certificate and definition of terms is given on the ACPO website. wai2.gif

Steve you are clouding the issue, the OP is about a retirement extension not PR!!!!

I came to Thailand on a non B,,, after 1 year changed this to a Retired extension NO Police Report Required if you apply for that extension in Thailand,,100% Sure,,

Someone else has posted similar then this a bit further down.I agree with you both 100%

In Canada (legal system based on British common law) you can get a pardon after a period (5 years I think) and get it expunged

from you record if you have been on the straight and narrow.

Even though the Canadian system is based on British common law there is no provision in current British law to expunge a conviction the best you will get as some has already posted is the "no trace" or " no active trace" report, no active traced is not expunging a record, basically your record will always be there but will be considered spent

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a question on the same subject, hopefully someone has an answer. I would like to retire in Thailand as well, however I have a very old criminal record, here in California, USA. It was nothing heinous, and my last involvement was 24 years ago. Would this be a problem for me? I never went to prison, and did nothing involving violence, sex crimes, etc. It was related to a substance abuse problem, resolved over 22 years ago. Thanks.

Do you have a US passport? US does not issue/honor passports to convicted felons/ if you owe back child support/ etc. If you do have one then you may be ok. To get the report go to local police and ask for it - costs a couple bucks - if it looks bad then you know better than put out the big bucks to Embassy for Visa + mailing costs.

Yes, I have had a passport for 13 years, and I am a convicted felon (drug possession). I never had any questions or problems getting it, perhaps because I first applied more than 10 years after my offense.

I have a question on the same subject, hopefully someone has an answer. I would like to retire in Thailand as well, however I have a very old criminal record, here in California, USA. It was nothing heinous, and my last involvement was 24 years ago. Would this be a problem for me? I never went to prison, and did nothing involving violence, sex crimes, etc. It was related to a substance abuse problem, resolved over 22 years ago. Thanks.

Do you have a US passport? US does not issue/honor passports to convicted felons/ if you owe back child support/ etc. If you do have one then you may be ok. To get the report go to local police and ask for it - costs a couple bucks - if it looks bad then you know better than put out the big bucks to Embassy for Visa + mailing costs.

Yes, I have had a passport for 13 years, and I am a convicted felon (drug possession). I never had any questions or problems getting it, perhaps because I first applied more than 10 years after my offense.

Have you used your passport? Just having one doesn't guarantee exit/entry. Current passports are only good for 10 years so I would double check expire date. Get the police report - you will then know exactly what you are dealing with - there would be some satisfaction in just knowing that there is nothing out there waiting to bite you. If you never did time then your offense (if 1st offense?) may have been expunged when/if you completed probation successfully.

For myself, I was never Mr. Clean, but in 1988-2000 (rough dates) many local paper records/databases were updated to comply with fed regulations. Lots of stuff didn't make the crossover or wasn't considered important enough to input manually. Some were just lucky!

I would suggest you might take a long stay trip (tourist visa - no police report - only passport needed) before committing. I did all the requirements and arrived Jan. 2011. Don't believe you can live cheap here - it's an inexpensive vacation but not a cheap place to live (as compared to NM, USA). The prices for items to make my apt comfortable were 2 to 3 times more than the equivalent cost here. Spending more to get less doesn't really agree with my frugal nature. Now this is no big deal if LOS is where you really want to live, we all have to pay a cost for what we want. I left April 2011 due to illness and spent a year undergoing treatment - all clear - but it also seemed to clear up my rose colored view of LOS as well. I did return March 2013 for dental work and enjoyed trip greatly. Good luck...coffee1.gif

Hi there boldnewguy. You have several relevant points and questions. Yes, I've used my passport to visit thailand 13 times, 2 times on my replacement PP. I also have voted with no questions. I was always under the impression that felons cannot vote or travel internationally. The subjects never came up in my experience. Somebody told me that I can just get a police report from my current city, and that they only look back 5 years, if that is true I would have no problem, I have lived here for 6 years in San Diego, and no LE involvement here or anywhere else for over 23 years.

Concerning expungement, I went to a lot of trouble to have my one felony expunged 8 years ago. Then , 2 years later, I was under consideration for a sensitive job. I wanted to see what my record looked like, so I paid 40 bucks for a DOJ check, complete with fingerprints. Imagine my dismay when I saw that basically everything I did, from age 18 to 38, was there, almost down to each time I farted. This included every arrest, even if the charge was dropped, and no court appearance was required. It was at that time that I learned what expungement is: A word beginning with the letter E, nothing more. My felony was on there, big as life.

I am intrigued by what you say about the cost of living in Thailand. I was under the impression that rent and food costs there are about 1/6 the cost of similar items in the US. I realize cars, gas, computer hardware, etc, would be approximately the same, if not higher. I know some guys have tastes for fancy american food and beverage, such as cheese, wines, good quality beef, etc. For me, this is not an issue, as I love thai food, and cook it here in the US all the time. I also don't drink. My life is simple,and I love natural surroundings, I don't need to live in a big city like Bkk or Pattaya.

I'm also curious as to what you say regarding the cost of living in NM, USA. I assume you are referring to New Mexico? I have lived in California always, so I am accustomed to a high cost of living. However, I have visited a few other states, such as AZ, NV, GA, MA, and found their cost of living somewhat lower that CA, but not significantly, and nowhere near that of Thailand. Am I missing something here?

thanks in advance for any reply.