retirement police report

This is for a friend, I myself have been living here for 5 years for you armchair pundits.

Ref police report my friend has done some time ( prison ) Some kind of truck theft. he has been married to a Thai for over ten years living in the UK she really sorted him out been on the straight and narrow ever since. Any idea what would stop him from retiring here ( 65 ) years old ref police report. Is there any statute of limitation for police record. ? Any help would be appreciated, I am a USA citizen not familiar with UK law.

A police report is is only needed for a OA visa application.

He can get a non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates based upon marriage to a Thai. And then get an extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage or retirement.

• Like 1

The English 'Criminal' check highlights all misdemeanours from the year zero, even if you are 70 years old and committed a very minor offence when you were 17.

However, if you apply to the Scottish Police for a report they consider spent convictions spent (not sure about serious offences) and you will receive a clean report

The Scottish Police ask for no evidence of you ever having lived in Scotland and the foreign authorities will accept it as it comes from a UK Police force

Hope this helps

Cheers

Edited by Richie1971
  • Like 1

If you come to thailand on a non o three month visa, they do not require a police report if you apply for your retirement visa here, at least they haven't in chiang mai, they do if you apply in the US.

• Like 1

I have a question on the same subject, hopefully someone has an answer. I would like to retire in Thailand as well, however I have a very old criminal record, here in California, USA. It was nothing heinous, and my last involvement was 24 years ago. Would this be a problem for me? I never went to prison, and did nothing involving violence, sex crimes, etc. It was related to a substance abuse problem, resolved over 22 years ago. Thanks.

No police report required for retirement extension as far as I know, was the crime commited in Thailand

or UK? If not Thailand can't see a problem.

For an American to apply for a Retirement Visa you must supply a police report from the city or county that you live in.

I have a question on the same subject, hopefully someone has an answer. I would like to retire in Thailand as well, however I have a very old criminal record, here in California, USA. It was nothing heinous, and my last involvement was 24 years ago. Would this be a problem for me? I never went to prison, and did nothing involving violence, sex crimes, etc. It was related to a substance abuse problem, resolved over 22 years ago. Thanks.

It cost me $10 to get a police report in the states. Just go ahead and ask for one and see what it says.

No police report required for retirement extension as far as I know, was the crime commited in Thailand

or UK? If not Thailand can't see a problem.

For an American to apply for a Retirement Visa you must supply a police report from the city or county that you live in.

If you apply for an O/A, "long stay" visa in the US you must have a police report.

However, you can either apply for a single entry Non-O visa (Only available at an Honorary Consulates at present) and extend it for 1 tear for retirement in LOS, No police report required.

You can also come on either a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa and convert either to a Non-O and then extend for retirement, no police report required.

The most significant difference from an O/A and a retirement extension other than the police and medical certificate is that with an O/A you do not have to have money in a Thai Bank, with an extension, if you choose the bank deposit method, 800k must be in your name in a Thai bank.

I am reliably informed by a UK ex con' living in Thailand that after ten years all British prison sentences, no matter what the offence, are considered 'spent' and therefore there is no problem getting a Police report if it is really needed. However; there are many options that avoid Police reports anyway so no problems need be encountered.

I thought you only require a 'police report' if you want to work at a school.

Back in the UK these 'police reports' are creating a new underclass, people who have any kind of 'caution' or conviction going back to when they were a child are finding they can't get jobs now. This is all new legislation introduced by the Labour party on behalf of the British working people. LOL

Having worked at 5 schools in 4 years, I have never been asked for a police report.

• Like 1

As stated by another poster, go and get a police report, it will show or not show a criminal record. In Canada we can get a Federal Pardon as long as it has been 5 years since your last conviction. You record becomes sealed and a regular police check, ie traffic etc., shows no record on their computers.

The first question on most job applications in Canada now is "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense."

Many thanks for your help everyone. Myself I applied here in LOS and had to supply a police report. My friend lives near Hull in UK I know they have a consulate there so will pass on all your info.l

What did you apply for that required a police report?

Retirement extensions do not require a police report.

Many thanks for your help everyone. Myself I applied here in LOS and had to supply a police report. My friend lives near Hull in UK I know they have a consulate there so will pass on all your info.l

Did immigration demand a police report so that you had to get one, or is it possible that you gave them one because you thought you had to?

TiT. Never say never. Anyone here will tell you that no medical is required in Thailand for an O, but the immigration officer I dealt with demanded one. Perhaps she didn't know the difference between O and OA? I went to a doctor and with no exam but a few baht got a form signed and was golden.

I will say again. If I again want an O with a retirement extension, I'll get visa on arrival. I will go to immigration with passport, pictures and bank income statements (just in case) and an income letter from the Bangkok Embassy and convert to O which is for 90 days. When less than 30 days remain I will return to immigration and get the extension based on retirement. There is no reason to tolerate varying requirements from home countries, and I hear Hull can be one of the worst for Brits? Officially, there is no requirement for criminal or medical checks, and very few will have any problem. (I could pass either, but why?)

Edited by NeverSure

Do you have a US passport? US does not issue/honor passports to convicted felons/ if you owe back child support/ etc. If you do have one then you may be ok. To get the report go to local police and ask for it - costs a couple bucks - if it looks bad then you know better than put out the big bucks to Embassy for Visa + mailing costs.

Do you have a US passport? US does not issue/honor passports to convicted felons/ if you owe back child support/ etc. If you do have one then you may be ok. To get the report go to local police and ask for it - costs a couple bucks - if it looks bad then you know better than put out the big bucks to Embassy for Visa + mailing costs.

A conviction for "substance" abuse will not go down well with Thai authority !

There are other means of securing a long term stay besides the O/A visa.

Did immigration demand a police report so that you had to get one, or is it possible that you gave them one because you thought you had to?

TiT. Never say never. Anyone here will tell you that no medical is required in Thailand for an O, but the immigration officer I dealt with demanded one. Perhaps she didn't know the difference between O and OA? I went to a doctor and with no exam but a few baht got a form signed and was golden.

I will say again. If I again want an O with a retirement extension, I'll get visa on arrival. I will go to immigration with passport, pictures and bank income statements (just in case) and an income letter from the Bangkok Embassy and convert to O which is for 90 days. When less than 30 days remain I will return to immigration and get the extension based on retirement. There is no reason to tolerate varying requirements from home countries, and I hear Hull can be one of the worst for Brits? Officially, there is no requirement for criminal or medical checks, and very few will have any problem. (I could pass either, but why?)

I am currently on my 7th extension of my non- immigrant "O" visa for the purpose of retirement.

I entered Thailand on a visa exempt entry stamp back in 2007 and applied for a retirement extension

and was given the non "O" visa at Phuket immigration office to give me the time to season the money

required for the retirement extension, no medical/police report required, so tell your freind to do the same.

You cannot as far as I know apply for a retirement extension from an external embassy/consulate. There

is, to my knowledge, no such thing as a retirement visa in Thailand. If I am wrong I am confident someone

will tell me. Hope this is of some assistance.

Did immigration demand a police report so that you had to get one, or is it possible that you gave them one because you thought you had to? TiT. Never say never. Anyone here will tell you that no medical is required in Thailand for an O, but the immigration officer I dealt with demanded one. Perhaps she didn't know the difference between O and OA? I went to a doctor and with no exam but a few baht got a form signed and was golden. I will say again. If I again want an O with a retirement extension, I'll get visa on arrival. I will go to immigration with passport, pictures and bank income statements (just in case) and an income letter from the Bangkok Embassy and convert to O which is for 90 days. When less than 30 days remain I will return to immigration and get the extension based on retirement. There is no reason to tolerate varying requirements from home countries, and I hear Hull can be one of the worst for Brits? Officially, there is no requirement for criminal or medical checks, and very few will have any problem. (I could pass either, but why?)
I am currently on my 7th extension of my non- immigrant "O" visa for the purpose of retirement.I entered Thailand on a visa exempt entry stamp back in 2007 and applied for a retirement extensionand was given the non "O" visa at Phuket immigration office to give me the time to season the moneyrequired for the retirement extension, no medical/police report required, so tell your freind to do the same.You cannot as far as I know apply for a retirement extension from an external embassy/consulate. Thereis, to my knowledge, no such thing as a retirement visa in Thailand. If I am wrong I am confident someonewill tell me. Hope this is of some assistance.
I am reliably informed by a UK ex con' living in Thailand that after ten years all British prison sentences, no matter what the offence, are considered 'spent' and therefore there is no problem getting a Police report if it is really needed. However; there are many options that avoid Police reports anyway so no problems need be encountered.
Not strictly true certain classes of offences are not considered spent after 10 years in the UK Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

whistling.gif A police record check is not needed in Thailand.

If he tries to get a retirement O-A visa in the U.K. the U.K. will require a police records check.

He will not need that report by getting a non immigrant O visa in the U.K., it is not required for that visa.

The visa will get him into Thailand ... for at least 90 days if a single entry and maybe a year if they will allow him a one year multi entry Non O .... they may not but he can probably get a 90 day visa.

He can then convert his visa to an extension for one year in Thailand by meeting the financial requirement.

(800K Baht in a Thai Bank account in his name or a monthly income of 65,000 Thai Baht equivalent)

That extension will require 90 day reporting at his local immigration, but there is NO police report requirement for that visa.

As I said before, an O-A retirement visa from the Thai consulate may need a police report to obtain .... so avoid an O-A retirement visa in your home country if you think you may have problems with a police records check in your home country.

Instead go for that non immigrant O visa from the Thai consulate in your home country and then extend it for retirement once you're in Thailand.

It's totally legal .... the police records check is only required in your home country, and only if you apply for that O-A retirement visa.

By the way this also applies to a doctors check/certification.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

A police report is is only needed for a OA visa application.

He can get a non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates based upon marriage to a Thai. And then get an extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage or retirement.

Not quite true... Thai Permanent Residence 'PR' application also asks for (amongst many other things), a criminal record background check in both Thailand and your passport country, together with DNA and fingerprint tests to verify you're not flagged on any international criminal databases, and are not a Thai 'persona-non-grata'

Both myself and my family have been through this process over the last few months, which is conducted at Thai Police HQ in Bangkok.

For United Kingdom passport holders, the Criminal record certificate is obtained from ACPO 'The Association of Chief Police Officers' information is given on the ACPO website here http://www.acro.police.uk . The certificate takes a month or two before it is delivered to you.

My old eyes detected more than ten anti tamper devices in the certificate printing format - it is at least as secure as a bank note, and could well be printed at the Royal Mint for all the trouble that has gone into making it secure.

For Thai admin/visa purposes (in my instance) a certified copy of the ACPO document had to be notarised at the British Embassy prior to handing over to Bangkok Immigration for due process...

I have attached an example certificate of a well known suspicious character for your perusal giggle.gif

post-41178-0-16444200-1386937816_thumb.j

The report will state either

'NO TRACE’ meaning no criminal record on file

'NO LIVE TRACE' meaning that you have a criminal record, but that it is deemed no longer relevant. It does remain in your criminal history file though.

'FURTHER INFORMATION STEPPED DOWN' meaning active criminal record (non-expired) with citations listed on the certificate. Not good.

xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.g6eSBeV0mM.w

More information on the certificate and definition of terms is given on the ACPO website. wai2.gif

Edited by SteveB2