British passport for daughter

My english friend who as been married to a Thai for17 years and as a 15 year old daughter.

At present he is working in the Uk and wishes to bring is daughter and wife back to England with a view

To settle in the Uk.

My question is

If is daughter comes to England on her Thai passport can he then apply for a British passport for her

While she"s in England.

Thanks for any info

Not only that, but you say he wants his wife and daughter to come to the UK to settle.

If his daughter does this with a Thai passport, not only will she need a settlement visa to do so (cost £851) but he will also have to meet the income requirement for a spouse and a child dependent (£22,400 pa) instead of just for a spouse (£18,600 pa).

Even if they came as visitors, the cost of a visit visa would wipe out the difference in cost between an in UK passport application and an overseas one. Plus his wife would then have to return to Thailand to apply for settlement.

Better for him to send the relevant documents to his wife so that she can obtain the daughters British passport in Thailand.

I have to ask; she's 15, why hasn't he got her a British passport before? Surely his wife and daughter must have wanted to visit their British family at some point in the last 15 years?

Not only that, but you say he wants his wife and daughter to come to the UK to settle.

If his daughter does this with a Thai passport, not only will she need a settlement visa to do so (cost £851) but he will also have to meet the income requirement for a spouse and a child dependent (£22,400 pa) instead of just for a spouse (£18,600 pa).

Even if they came as visitors, the cost of a visit visa would wipe out the difference in cost between an in UK passport application and an overseas one. Plus his wife would then have to return to Thailand to apply for settlement.

Better for him to send the relevant documents to his wife so that she can obtain the daughters British passport in Thailand.

I have to ask; she's 15, why hasn't he got her a British passport before? Surely his wife and daughter must have wanted to visit their British family at some point in the last 15 years?

I agree with you 7by7 about not getting a passport before for his daughter,he's the greatest guy in the

World but when they were giving the brains out he was sat at the back of the queue.

It was my suggestion for her to try her Thai passport until he told me the visa was about 43,000 Baht

I will have to get the full story from him as the wife talks with a brummy accent so they have been to

The uk before

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that if the child is entitled to a UK Passport, they wouldn't be issued with a UK Visa.

Not quite true, If the child chose to travel on their thai PP passport to the UK even though they were entitled to a British pp they would certainly need and would be issued a visa if they qualify as they would be applying wholely as a thai national

Being a dual national myself with one being a British pp if I decided for some reason to arrive in the UK on my "other" pp I would need a visa to enter technically speaking, not withstanding the fact I could turn up in the UK with no passport and after enquiry they have to let me in as well LOL

Dual nationality drives immigration departments mad as in a lot of cases certain rules cant be enforced for example if I did arrive in the UK on my other pp and overstayed the visa can I be fined or locked up in the UK ? How can I be on a overstay I have right of abode in the Uk irrespective of the pp I used to enter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dual nationality drives immigration departments mad as in a lot of cases certain rules cant be enforced for example if I did arrive in the UK on my other pp and overstayed the visa can I be fined or locked up in the UK ? How can I be on a overstay I have right of abode in the Uk irrespective of the pp I used to enter

I admit to not knowing the answer to that as far as the UK is concerned.

However I have always understood that if my dual national wife used her British passport to enter Thailand then for immigration purposes she would be treated as British, not Thai and so subject to the same rules and overstay fines as any other British citizen.

I admit to not knowing the answer to that as far as the UK is concerned.

However I have always understood that if my dual national wife used her British passport to enter Thailand then for immigration purposes she would be treated as British, not Thai and so subject to the same rules and overstay fines as any other British citizen.

My understanding in the thai context is that they do what they do because dual citizenship is not legally recognised in thailand but tolerated, hence they would treat someone as either thai or British dependent on the passport they enter on, however in the uk , dual citizenship is legally recognised and entering the UK on your other passport with a visa has no bearing on your right of abode in the uk

I did question a friend of mine who is a lawyer, although not a immigration lawyer on what would happen in the UK and his reply was, all a visa does is allow you into the UK once in even if you did overstay your visa as you are a British citizen they can do nothing to you legally, but one would expect them to give you a hard time for messing them around, but could they fine you ? No because you are British citizen by birth and have legal right of abode irrespective of how you got into the country

Its quite an interesting debate on this question LOL

• Like 2

What would happen if the girl presented herself at a UK port of entry without a British passport or a UK visa but had all the required evidence to prove she was British?

A rhetorical question, really, because, of course, without a British passport or a valid visa in her Thai passport she wouldn't get onto the plane.

What would happen if the girl presented herself at a UK port of entry without a British passport or a UK visa but had all the required evidence to prove she was British?

A rhetorical question, really, because, of course, without a British passport or a valid visa in her Thai passport she wouldn't get onto the plane.

If she managed to get to a UK port of entry with all the documentation after extensive enquiry they would have to allow her into the UK, of course they are not going to wave her through but they can't refuse entry she is a British citizen who has right of abode irrespective of whether carrying a British passport or not

• Like 1