Import/export Questions.

A couple questions. If anyone out there knows the answers, it would be much appreciated.

1. If I am in NY and I buy product from a Thai company FOB Bangkok, clearly and simply, what does this exactly mean?

2. I am interested in importing leather handbags to the US. I've researched issues relating to duty and it is still not clear to me. Does anyone have solid information as to what kind of duties one can expect on leather (all different kinds) handbags when importing to the US?

I'm a bit new at this. Thanks in advance if you can clear up the confusion.

Thanks Indo-Siam. On FOB then, does the exporter pay for the freight in advance and then bill the importer or does the exporter deliver to the port with the importer being expected to have arranged and paid for freight in advance?

Also, on the duties, if you look at http://www.apectariff.org/tdb.cgi/ff323435...ind.cgi?US+4202

for instance, for 4202.11.00, it says 8%, then it says free for a couple states and cheaper for a couple others and then it says 35%. So this is what is confusing me. I talked to some exporters of leather and they say its around 6% to the US, but I want to be sure before I proceed. For future reference I'd also like to understand why the first column of duties is usually a small number and the second colum is substantially larger. Which one is it? Thanks!

Thanks Indo-Siam. On FOB then, does the exporter pay for the freight in advance and then bill the importer or does the exporter deliver to the port with the importer being expected to have arranged and paid for freight in advance?

for instance, for 4202.11.00, it says 8%, then it says free for a couple states and cheaper for a couple others and then it says 35%. So this is what is confusing me. I talked to some exporters of leather and they say its around 6% to the US, but I want to be sure before I proceed. For future reference I'd also like to understand why the first column of duties is usually a small number and the second colum is substantially larger. Which one is it? Thanks!

Thai vendors will usually quote FOB 'Bangkok or Laem Chabang', meaning that the goods are delivered to port. You, as the importer, are responsible for taking control of the goods at that point.

I recommend you contact a freight forwarder who will arrange for shipping, customs clearance, and trucking to your final destination. They can handle even very small quantities, but bear in mind that there are fixed costs involved in export, so shipping less than full container loads can get relatively costly.

Once you begin ordering in volume, utilizing third-party QA inspection is a good idea- in my organization we fail an average of 20% of all inspections here in Thailand for a variety of reasons. Bearing in mind you're legally taking control of the goods once they reach port, there's little you can do after you open up your cartons in your home country and realize the product is in the wrong color, doesn't fit well, doesn't work, workmanship is poor, etc.

As for the import duties, go to this site and download the 'general notes' section. In the HTS# you mentioned, the leather items from Thailand would incur 8% duty. The special rates are various international agreements (not states) which you have to look up in the 'general notes' section. Don't worry about duties in the second column unless you're looking to import from an Axis of Evil country.

Cheers!

My personal household effects are due to arrive at "Bangkok Port" next month. The shipping agent at 'my end' gave me a rough idea of what should happen at Bangkok, however i would be more than pleased to hear if anyone knows what does happen. As far as i am aware, the contact at the port will oversee handling customs and duties etc and then the shipment will be placed in a warehouse for my collection. Sounds straight forward - but is it? and is it going to cost me lots? (handling etc.?)

thanks

• 3 years later...
I want to export my car from the UK to Thailand

Does any know of a company and contact details who will be able to do the above

My email address is [email protected]

Thank you

Car importing is not recommended into Thailand. Import duties and shipping costs make it really quite expense.

Serach on car imports on the forum and see what you come up with.

I know of one guy in the UK how may be able to help if you are interested.

My personal household effects are due to arrive at "Bangkok Port" next month. The shipping agent at 'my end' gave me a rough idea of what should happen at Bangkok, however i would be more than pleased to hear if anyone knows what does happen. As far as i am aware, the contact at the port will oversee handling customs and duties etc and then the shipment will be placed in a warehouse for my collection. Sounds straight forward - but is it? and is it going to cost me lots? (handling etc.?)

thanks

You need to get a angent to deal with the paperwork and get the goods out of the storage ASAP as the charges are quite high as far as I remember.

What is your legal status here? This will affect your duty payments.

I can give you the name of a agent we used if you are interested.

Here's what happened to a guy I know:

He ordered some food service equipment for his business and some sealed packaged foods to go with them. He told the shipper in the states not to send the food with the equipment since it had to be submitted to the Thai FDA before it could be shipped.

The shipper included a sales receipt with the equipment shipment that showed the purchase of foodstuffs even though they were not on the pallets or even listed on the bill of lading. Thai Customs refused to allow the shipment into the country, refused to inspect the shipment to see that there was no food, and refused to allow the shipment to be returned to the shipper in the states. Why? Because there was un-approved food on the receipt.

In other words, they confiscated the entire shipment which I am sure ended up in the playroom of some Thai general's kids. All this happened even though one of the biggest customs brokers in Thailand was paid to facilitate importation, and all appropriate "extra-ordinary fees" were offered.

My point: BE CAREFUL. Make sure everything is perfect because if it is not, you will lose any goods that appeal to the Customs official.

He ordered some food service equipment for his business and some sealed packaged foods to go with them. He told the shipper in the states not to send the food with the equipment since it had to be submitted to the Thai FDA before it could be shipped.

The shipper included a sales receipt with the equipment shipment that showed the purchase of foodstuffs even though they were not on the pallets or even listed on the bill of lading. Thai Customs refused to allow the shipment into the country, refused to inspect the shipment to see that there was no food, and refused to allow the shipment to be returned to the shipper in the states. Why? Because there was un-approved food on the receipt.

In other words, they confiscated the entire shipment which I am sure ended up in the playroom of some Thai general's kids. All this happened even though one of the biggest customs brokers in Thailand was paid to facilitate importation, and all appropriate "extra-ordinary fees" were offered.

My point: BE CAREFUL. Make sure everything is perfect because if it is not, you will lose any goods that appeal to the Customs official.

Amazing story and I'm sure it is only the tip of the iceburg.

It may be better to get smaller companies to act as agents.

Yeah, that sort of thing happens to New Zealand lamb exporters trying to export to USA as well.

Being very dependent on the goodwill and honesty of customs agents, it is best to get all paperwork right. And if necessary to have the ability to do a 'behind the scenes approach' to customs officials; nothing to do with generals or the current govt, this is an age old problem. Something went wrong though if you could not send it back; that normally would be the acceptable solution; I know a luxury brand trying to import two sample dolls had the same issue when they mislabled one of the garments as a banned fabric; had to return then hand export the toxic 30cm tall toy.

• 8 months later...

Hi, this sounds quite strange. When you ship goods, there are normally 3 documents to follow it

* Bill of Lading

* Packing List

* Commercial Invoice

If the commercial invoice (what you refer to as receipt) shows goods that are actually not in the container, you are not only breaking the law, you are also creating unecessary trouble for yourself. The items on the invoice should match the packing list - if it doesn't, the freight forwarder should notice it and contact the shipper to have it corrected. Until documents are in order, the shipment should be refused (we do, at least).

brgds

nm

Hi, this sounds quite strange. When you ship goods, there are normally 3 documents to follow it

* Bill of Lading

* Packing List

* Commercial Invoice

If the commercial invoice (what you refer to as receipt) shows goods that are actually not in the container, you are not only breaking the law, you are also creating unecessary trouble for yourself. The items on the invoice should match the packing list - if it doesn't, the freight forwarder should notice it and contact the shipper to have it corrected. Until documents are in order, the shipment should be refused (we do, at least).

brgds

nm

You are right! That is exactly what happened, the Invoice showed the total purchase from the supplier but the Packing List and Bill of Lading only showed what was in the shipment.

The Customs Broker hired to ensure it cleared customs was dealing with the shipper well in advance but when the shipment arrived, they just called to say "Oops sorry, it was confiscated because the paperwork didn't match. There's nothing we can do."

And they were a major player in Thailand. Hence my warning about being vigilant about hiring anyone here.

Edited by Yamantaka

* Bill of Lading

* Packing List

* Commercial Invoice

brgds

nm

You are right! That is exactly what happened, the Invoice showed the total purchase from the supplier but the Packing List and Bill of Lading only showed what was in the shipment.

The Customs Broker hired to ensure it cleared customs was dealing with the shipper well in advance but when the shipment arrived, they just called to say "Oops sorry, it was confiscated because the paperwork didn't match. There's nothing we can do."

And they were a major player in Thailand. Hence my warning about being vigilant about hiring anyone here.

I assume in your friend's example, the shipper had to take responsibility for the problems and re-sent goods free of charge. As I see it, this was caused by the American freight forwarder, not the Thai customs broker. What could the Thai broker do? The only thing they could do was to notice the discrepancy in the documents and ask the freight forwarder to correct their error. You could say that it was sloppy work to present incorrect dox to Customs, but the error was not caused by them in the first place.

It's best to be vigilant when dealing with American freight forwarders :o .

* Bill of Lading

* Packing List

* Commercial Invoice

brgds

nm

I assume in your friend's example, the shipper had to take responsibility for the problems and re-sent goods free of charge. As I see it, this was caused by the American freight forwarder, not the Thai customs broker. What could the Thai broker do? The only thing they could do was to notice the discrepancy in the documents and ask the freight forwarder to correct their error. You could say that it was sloppy work to present incorrect dox to Customs, but the error was not caused by them in the first place.

As I understand it, the Shipper who sold the merchandise didn't know the Thai regs but asserted that the Customs Broker should have notified them in advance of shipment what needed to be done and not done. I think the brokers never got in touch with them until after the stuff was shipped even though they had been given the shipper's information well before.

In any case, the recipient lost a lot of money because of paperwork, when all that needed to be done was for the Bill of Lading and Packing List to be matched up as to what was in the shipment. Maybe a fine was in order but not total confiscation of $10,000 worth of food service equipment that was both paid for and legal in this country. Typical of many businesses, the Customs Broker merely washed their hands of it when things went wrong.

• 1 month later...

What broker was this so we don't use the same one?

S

* Bill of Lading

* Packing List

* Commercial Invoice

brgds

nm

As I understand it, the Shipper who sold the merchandise didn't know the Thai regs but asserted that the Customs Broker should have notified them in advance of shipment what needed to be done and not done. I think the brokers never got in touch with them until after the stuff was shipped even though they had been given the shipper's information well before.

In any case, the recipient lost a lot of money because of paperwork, when all that needed to be done was for the Bill of Lading and Packing List to be matched up as to what was in the shipment. Maybe a fine was in order but not total confiscation of $10,000 worth of food service equipment that was both paid for and legal in this country. Typical of many businesses, the Customs Broker merely washed their hands of it when things went wrong.

FOB means freight on board in other words the price delivered to the docks, and maybe actually put on the ship....opposed to that is CIF which includes the cost of shipping and insurance to the port of destination, ie NY.

You can get regs, rates, etc for importation to th U.S. from the Customs department, Washington, DC.

I hope you are not planning to buy anything long distance and hoping that what you think you are buying is what you will actually get. Even those who come here and make large purchases but don't personally supervise the loading and sealing of the container/parcels are often disappointed at the other end.

A couple questions. If anyone out there knows the answers, it would be much appreciated.

1. If I am in NY and I buy product from a Thai company FOB Bangkok, clearly and simply, what does this exactly mean?

2. I am interested in importing leather handbags to the US. I've researched issues relating to duty and it is still not clear to me. Does anyone have solid information as to what kind of duties one can expect on leather (all different kinds) handbags when importing to the US?

I'm a bit new at this. Thanks in advance if you can clear up the confusion.