Enabling auto-TRIM for solid state drives

aarn

TRIM keeps your solid state drive running fast, so those in the know say.

With Ubuntu 13.10 and the new kernel (see recent post by Richard-BKK [thanks mate]) out,

here are a couple of links that may be of interest re. enabling auto-trim

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/enable-trim-ssd-better-performance/#comment-49584

http://techgage.com/article/enabling_and_testing_ssd_trim_support_under_linux/1/

Cheers, AA

Today I finally started to use Trim on my SSD (Samsung 840 Evo), it was actually not that much work – I just had to change “default” to “discard” in the /etc/fstab

I not really see any difference in speed, but seeing any speed increase would be difficult as a SSD is pretty fast no matter if you have Trim enabled or disabled.

Today I also upgraded the kernel (kernel 3.12-5,302) of my complete new Fedora 20 install, I wanted to change the way I used my drives. I stopped using LVM and now use regular partitions with all the system stuff (boot, swap and system) on the SSD and /home on a regular 1TB WD hard drive.

I also bought a new Samsung 840 Evo SSD for my notebook so I had also a 2.5” 750gb Hitachi hard drive over which I now use as a backup drive…

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Today I finally started to use Trim on my SSD (Samsung 840 Evo), it was actually not that much work – I just had to change “default” to “discard” in the /etc/fstab

I not really see any difference in speed, but seeing any speed increase would be difficult as a SSD is pretty fast no matter if you have Trim enabled or disabled.

Today I also upgraded the kernel (kernel 3.12-5,302) of my complete new Fedora 20 install, I wanted to change the way I used my drives. I stopped using LVM and now use regular partitions with all the system stuff (boot, swap and system) on the SSD and /home on a regular 1TB WD hard drive.

I also bought a new Samsung 840 Evo SSD for my notebook so I had also a 2.5” 750gb Hitachi hard drive over which I now use as a backup drive…

It is not recommended that practice for most solid-state drives, because you could get performance hit.

Instead you should use a weekly or monthly chron job.

Ubuntu 14.04 has TRIM enabled out-of-the-box! Nice one, developers. AA

Only Intel and Samsung ssd's have trim enabled by default. If your ssd is not of that brands and you are sure that your ssd support trim you can edit /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim adding this line at the end

exec fstrim-all --no-model-check

Cheers.

Edited by suppaman

<<Only Intel and Samsung ssd's have trim enabled by default. If your ssd is not of that brands and you are sure that your ssd support trim you can edit /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim adding this line at the end:

'exec fstrim-all --no-model-check'>>

Using Lubuntu 14.04 and a Kingston 120Gb ssd, I was interested to follow suppaman's on-the-ball advice.

Firstly, here is a brief but comprehensive guide to checking if TRIM is activated: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/trim-working-linux-29092.html

On my machine, it appeared to be working by default

No harm in adding '--no-model-check' anyway... AA