Lousy Food At Brasserie

naammanow

Sorry putting this in the general section, have also posted it in the "restaurant" section.

Am very disappointed with the Brasserie restaurant, near the Riverside. Have been going there for years, then 2 years ago something changed and the food was louzy. I tried again last Tuesday (after about 2 years absense) hoping things had changed and the food again was absolutely awful. Thought one cannot "destroy" Thai food, well think again, at that restaurant they can achive it to cook BAD Thai food. Now I have decided that never again. It is a big shame, because it is a lovely restaurant, great setting in the river. Good staff etc. but bad bad food. Anybody knows why? By the way, of the tables available les than 10% was occupied and when we left at 9.00 PM we were the only ones. Poor singer (who is fantastic) was singing just for us and after that just for the staff. Shame!

Sorry putting this in the general section, have also posted it in the "restaurant" section.

Am very disappointed with the Brasserie restaurant, near the Riverside. Have been going there for years, then 2 years ago something changed and the food was louzy. I tried again last Tuesday (after about 2 years absense) hoping things had changed and the food again was absolutely awful. Thought one cannot "destroy" Thai food, well think again, at that restaurant they can achive it to cook BAD Thai food. Now I have decided that never again. It is a big shame, because it is a lovely restaurant, great setting in the river. Good staff etc. but bad bad food. Anybody knows why? By the way, of the tables available les than 10% was occupied and when we left at 9.00 PM we were the only ones. Poor singer (who is fantastic) was singing just for us and after that just for the staff. Shame!

So, you enjoyed the fantastic singing, great location on the river, great staff, and your friends....

Why should the crap food keep you from enjoying all the rest? :o

Last time I ate there they served up large portions of everything and the bill for the two of us was 900 baht just for food. Admittedly we didn’t specify small or medium portions but the waiter could have noticed that there were only two of us. The food wasn’t that great and it is unlikely that we will eat there again.

However, everything else is great so we will continue to visit occasionally when we are east of the river.

Food was ok 3 months ago, but what pissed me off was the tall "waitress" with the deep voice padding the bill for an extra 400Bt on a 1000bt bill. Had even put a small sticker over the total on calculator printout with the new total hand written on top. Diners beware....

So, you enjoyed the fantastic singing, great location on the river, great staff, and your friends....

Very entertaining and spot on Ajarn, the food was c r @ p, so why patronizing? Don’t you (especially you!) think that having all the successful ingredients of a great restaurant (ambience, music, location) and the food lets it down . . . sad? And when referring to a restaurant what “light” should illuminate . . . food, isn’t it? Maybe you read the topic again without condescending the writer.

Very entertaining and spot on Ajarn, the food was c r @ p, so why patronizing? Don’t you (especially you!) think that having all the successful ingredients of a great restaurant (ambience, music, location) and the food lets it down . . . sad? And when referring to a restaurant what “light” should illuminate . . . food, isn’t it? Maybe you read the topic again without condescending the writer.

If you think my remarks were condescending, you are a fool...

The Brasserie is known for its music, not food. I can go there and enjoy the scene without eating the food. Why can't you?

If you think my remarks were condescending, you are a fool...

Now - Now

The Brasserie is known for its music, not food. I can go there and enjoy the scene without eating the food. Why can't you?

Yes - We would always eat elsewhere first then go and relax over drinks and the odd snack while being transported by Tuk's astonishing guitar work.

Still think your reply was condescending. You were insinuating that with all the positive attributes given to the restaurant, me and my friends should have overlooked the fact that the food was bad. How is one supposed to enjoy the place if each mouthful of food is lousy? Or just chuck it into the river? Can you really be serious with your reply and just pretend that it is delicious or “mai pen rai” And yes, that kind of attitude is haughty.

By the way, the music starts at 8.30 PM and is just the girl singing ballads and the like, great voice, reminiscent of Norah Jones. And think she sings just for an hour or so. So how you can say you “go for the music” beats me . . .

I still think your reply was condescending. You insinuated that with all the good benifits that I mentioned the fact that the food was bad, should not have stopped myself and my friends from enjoying ourselves. Well, how is one supposed to if of the 5 dishes orderd 5 were louzy and every mouthful is disgusting? Is that not a valid statement to make then? And no, like you, we're not fools, are we?

Listen, I made a reasonable suggestion, in a reasonable tone, with no hidden motives except friendliness. You come along with your reading between my lines, making ridiculous comments...

Maybe you should take a chll pill, dude, and enjoy the music at the Brasserie. You seem like you need some enjoyment. :o

The Brasserie is famous for one thing only - the astonishing guitar playing of Tuk, the owner. He is widely recognised as one of the best guitarists in Thailand.

He generally starts playing very late, so those in the know go very late to hear his music.

When he is onstage, cotton wool and sawdust tastes good!

It puts me in mind of good old Ronnie Scott's club in London some years back. The best Jazz in the UK and food so bad no plate was ever finished. Some people still ate there though even though Ronnie himself couldn't understand why.

Now for that damned Moderator hat thingy - where did I put it.

Lads - Please let this lie now with NO more trading of comments/insults/flames or any further posts in repost or I may have to take action and give a holiday or something. There is no need for it.

No where is that bl00dy hat?

Doesn't seem like it would be much harder to make the Thai food taste good. We are in Thailand here! :o

Some places just don't have "it". Amazing how things as simple as a burger can vary so much from place to place. :D

Old Ronnies club - most of the food came from plastic bags, reheated in a microwave. They still succeeded in making it taste either unbelievably vile, or completely flavour-free. You really couldn't taste the difference between chicken, fish or potato.

Doesn't seem like it would be much harder to make the Thai food taste good. We are in Thailand here! :D

Some places just don't have "it". Amazing how things as simple as a burger can vary so much from place to place. :D

Old Ronnies club - most of the food came from plastic bags, reheated in a microwave. They still succeeded in making it taste either unbelievably vile, or completely flavour-free. You really couldn't taste the difference between chicken, fish or potato.

I hope that there were no peanuts in the cookies/bisquits... :o

Doesn't seem like it would be much harder to make the Thai food taste good. We are in Thailand here! :D

Sounds quite similar to airline food :o

I hope that there were no peanuts in the cookies/bisquits... :D

Bisquits? :D:D:D Didn't serve any :o

Peanuts only came in packets or the peanut bowl on the bar.

The music was excellent though and generally started very late. I used to go after work, 1 or 2am.