Spectacles ( Glasses )

pop3

If like me you have to wear glasses then the chance is you've been rolled bigtime on the price, My Thai wife wear's glasses and a pair for her is 400/700bht for me 5000/7000 bht, if she goes in to buy my glasses I get them for 400 bht but the problem is sometime's I must go in for the eye test, same thing again, an example Bangkok pattaya for eye test, 500 bht for my wife and 5000 bht for me, Ok I know about two tier pricing but the diference on spectacle's is ridiculas, also when a farang goes into the shop they alway's try to sell you plastic lense's, because there lighter, they say there more expencive, there not for the Thais, my wife alway's get's plastic because there cheeper !

......an example Bangkok pattaya for eye test, 500 bht for my wife and 5000 bht for me

They obviously had their glasses on and saw you coming :D For my periodic eye checks I only pay 5/600 baht and have done for years. Also Thais ane not too fussy about the frames, and that's where a good deal of the cost is.

5000 baht for an eye test is excessive to say the least. :o

If like me you have to wear glasses then the chance is you've been rolled bigtime on the price, My Thai wife wear's glasses and a pair for her is 400/700bht for me 5000/7000 bht, if she goes in to buy my glasses I get them for 400 bht but the problem is sometime's I must go in for the eye test, same thing again, an example Bangkok pattaya for eye test, 500 bht for my wife and 5000 bht for me, Ok I know about two tier pricing but the diference on spectacle's is ridiculas, also when a farang goes into the shop they alway's try to sell you plastic lense's, because there lighter, they say there more expencive, there not for the Thais, my wife alway's get's plastic because there cheeper !

Save yourself money by going outside tourist areas! I live only 30 k's from Pattaya and have never paid other than thai prices for optician, hospital, doctor, pharmacy (20 baht per prescription), etc.

......an example Bangkok pattaya for eye test, 500 bht for my wife and 5000 bht for me

They obviously had their glasses on and saw you coming :D For my periodic eye checks I only pay 5/600 baht and have done for years. Also Thais ane not too fussy about the frames, and that's where a good deal of the cost is.

5000 baht for an eye test is excessive to say the least. :o

Was it Bangkok pattaya where you have been paying 500/600 ? my friend tried it after me telling him they wanted 5000, they told him 5000 too, it would pay me to give you 500 for your trouble and go along with you !

A pair of cheap reading glasses may cost 500 baht, but more complex prescriptions with decent frames do cost more.

I had my eyes tested overseas as I wanted to be sure it was done correctly.

How do you tell a Thai speaking tester which lens combination is marginally better/worse than the previous?

Then I had the prescription filled in Thailand.

Titanium frames, varifocal lenses with auto-tinting, for 10,000 baht.

Would have cost a lot more elsewhere.

yeah they do cost more but not the vast diference that their charging, Just another word on the eye test at Bangkok pattaya, in the past I have had eye test's there for 500 bht, but it's the last two time's Ive been there they want 5.000 bht, The interesting thing is this, when I enquired the price the first girl said 500 bht, I thought ah, we're back to the proper price again, but one of the other girl's overheard us talking and came over and said she'd made a mistake and it's 5,000 bht ! I'll let you decide what's going on there, it was a few day's later that my friend went back to enquire as he was sure I had made a mistake, they told him 5,000 bht too.

Well, what would be a a good address to get glasses in Pattaya (or surrounding area) without getting robbed just just because one qualifies as a "Farang". Among other things,this is something I will be looking for during my next stay.

5000 Baht for an eye test is highway robbery. That is some 30 times the minimum daily wage. To place it in perspective, this would be like paying $1200 dollars for a similar test in the USA. I have seen these for free in Bangok.

Free as long as you buy their glasses ! but be careful because there's two problem's with getting a good eye test in these small shop's, 1 the machine's are not alway's very acurate, 2 finding somebody who realy understand's how to operate the machine, that's why I wanted Bangkok pattaya to do the test because I have compleat faith in the machine and the very good eye doctor there, but 5,000 bht when Thai's pay 500 is just taking the piss too far.