Suthep To Face His Critics At Military-Organised Forum

Lite Beer

What would you suggest Khuhken- this is a serious problem-- one that many of us have debated for twenty odd years in this country- how could Thailand become a fully functioning democracy- without coups, without street violence- with governments permitted to serve their terms-- without the perception of corruption (albeit unproved in most cases)--

Is it the system that needs changing- or is it the very culture from which the system derives- OR_ is it a case that the whole notion of liberal democracy as practiced (on paper) is incompatible with Thai culture?

If that is the case, what systemic changes would YOU initiate?

Yes it is a serious problem and the first step would be to take it seriously. No, I don't think that liberal democracy is incompatible with Thai culture. Local culture is not static, nor is it the same in all parts of the country.

What must change is the attitude towards the laws of the country which is not a cultural facet but why corruption is endemic in Thailand, as it is in many other developing nations. It needs to be tackled from both the top & bottom. At the top proper sharp-toothed bodies are needed to control (impossible to eliminate) corruption by politicians, bureaucrats and the police. The latter needs total reform together with the DSI.

From the bottom, the education system needs a wide cleansing with more schools to reduce classroom numbers, fair & effective exam results & no buying of places in desired schools & universities.

I could go on - land taxation, subsidies, bail system & more. It's not a short term job but an evolutionary task for an independent body.

I am geninely pleased to be able to agree with this.I would add some points

1.Justice system needs to be strengthened wirth genuine independence, free of political influence.Judges too often bear the impression of the last person who sat on them.Courts should be very clear where their role ends and role of legislators begins.

2.Education system needs to detach itself from the "wai khru" mentality as society itself becomes less deferential.Students should be encouraged to question and be suspicious of received wisdom.English and Mandarin languages to be given high priority.

3.Tax regime to be overhauled.End capital gains exemption on sales of listed equities.Bring in land tax on lines Korn suggested.

4.Local governors to be elected.One of the few Suthep suggestions I like.

Ok. Real world, how many lifetimes do you think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, great. Now threatening foreign journalists. Is anyone surprised? Anyone doubting the anti-foreigner sentiments associated with this movement should pay close attention.

I would very much like to know who is bankrolling this pot bellied little dictator! someone with deep pockets is egging him on! but we will probably never know and he sure does dot give a dam about the Thai economy.