Anyone out "in the sticks" with TOT aerial internet connection?

CharlieH

Anybody have this type of set up ? A large aerial that relays wireless internet into the home from TOT mast. (not a sim card set up). If you have this or know anything about it please post your experience and cost etc.

Thanks

My school is deep in the sticks and receives a long range ToT wifi signal originating some 10km away via an aerial atop a small old pylon. The signal is then distributed around the school and the strength is good. The day after I went to the nearest Tot office about 60km away an engineer came to see if long range wifi was possible and about three weeks later it was set up and running.

My school is deep in the sticks and receives a long range ToT wifi signal originating some 10km away via an aerial atop a small old pylon. The signal is then distributed around the school and the strength is good. The day after I went to the nearest Tot office about 60km away an engineer came to see if long range wifi was possible and about three weeks later it was set up and running.

Do you know the costs involved ?

I have what you describe. I'm about 70k East of Nakhon Sawan but also 10 East of the main Village. High speed internet from the cable companies do not extend their wiring to my more remote Village so I had to settle on the dish. I've had it for about 3 year and it's a TOT set up. I think I paid a refundable deposit for the equipment but the monthly cost is outrageous. I figured I could hide it in the rear of my small property but TOT actually determines where the best signal comes from, so of course it was in front of the house and if I wanted the best signal I had to settle on this placement. The dish is huge and unsightly but over time it blends into the surrounding (not really but I pretend it does)

The speed if iffy day to day, but much better than an air card or any other gadget that operates from those satellites. It's certainly not high speed internet. I think I get 1 or 2 mg download speed as opposed to 5 or 10 with wired systems from the line poles. You can buy a wireless router from TOT before the setup. They did all the installation and wiring in a few hours.

Monthly internet bill is 3000 Baht as opposed to 600 for real high speed in the town. It's a tortoise as compared to the hare but if I want internet it's what I have to do. Our school has a room full of brand new computers but no internet.

Here's a pic.

post-39303-0-48936400-1387051077_thumb.j

I have what you describe.

Actually, you do not have what we are discussing. I'm guessing you have TOT Satellite Internet service. aka IP Star: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632390-tot-satellite-internet/

We are talking about a wireless point-to-point (2.4/5 GHz) service, TOT Wi-NET, AIS AIrNET, which uses a small antenna with line of sight to nearby tower to deliver high speed internet.

The pricing ranges from 590 baht/month (installation can range from a promotional fee of 1,000 baht up to 4,000 baht, for the AIS service anyway), up to ~ 1,200 baht.

We are supporting several AIS AirNET customers in new housing developments in metro-Bangkok, in developments which have not yet been wired with fixed-line broadband. The service is working pretty well so far, but it is dry season and probably not too many customers using it, and robust back-haul up from the tower.

http://www.ais.co.th/airnet/th/product_home.html

Edited by lomatopo

The TOT WiI-NET is line of site transmission, so there can not be anything blocking the signal from the tower to the antenna on your house. They checked mine in the sticks but unfortunately there was a small "mountain" between my house and the tower.

The installation in post #19 is IP-STAR but when I inquired they really admitted that it was expensive and unreliable.

Last January they updated the lines and installed a line extender amp 1 kilometer from my house. I now get 5MB and am in heaven and it won't get any better.

If you live in the sticks like I do you have to weigh the pluses against the minuses, and I can live with 5MB forever rather than move elsewhere.

This is exactly what I want but at our local TOT office, or the one in our provincial capital no-one speaks a word of English & I have no idea how to ask for this in Thai & I can't make my Thai Wife or any other Thai who speaks any English locally understand what I want... any help would be much appreciated.. BTW sry for hijacking this post but it is the same subject...