Steering Dampers

Gweiloman

Are they really necessary? Serious question. I do a fair bit of long distance touring as well as some track days, on both my Versys and Ninja 1000. I also have a KLX 250 with which I hope to start having some off road experiences. Having spent quite a bit of money on bikes and of course valuing my life a bit as well, would fixing steering dampers increase my safety level? If yes, how so?

I put one on my bike, even though it's pretty stable up front- I had a serious tank-slapper on a CBR900RR once and nearly crashed at a pretty high speed, and I was lucky to have gotten out of it- a steering damper would have lessened or prevented the incident entirely- it's (somewhat) cheap insurance against a potentially dangerous issue.

I haven't needed mine yet, and I hope I never do, but I'm happy it's there.

That said, I wouldn't ride on the track or in the dirt without one- a light front end or areas of poor traction can cause a tank-slapper- you won't see many pros riding without a damper.

• Like 1

I've got the Hyperpro:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You been nicking the spare hot what taps off the janitor? biggrin.png

Devil pre-load adjusters- I'm always screwing around with my settings, and they let me change them from the saddle without tools.

The left one just managed to fit with the damper bracket- there's maybe 1mm of clearance. wink.png

Edited by RubberSideDown

steering damper is needed for any sport bike if you ask me.

it prevents always unexpected tank slappers and it is needed for the bikes with a light front end - like my cbr500r.

If i were you, i install one especially to the ninja1000.

you never know when a tank slapper happens and a steering damper is not that expensive. Also, it keeps you not getting worried about a tank slapper means a nicer ride.

Are they really necessary? Serious question. I do a fair bit of long distance touring as well as some track days, on both my Versys and Ninja 1000. I also have a KLX 250 with which I hope to start having some off road experiences. Having spent quite a bit of money on bikes and of course valuing my life a bit as well, would fixing steering dampers increase my safety level? If yes, how so?

I've done a lot of long distance riding in Australia in the past and they are definitely a plus to have for that time you hit a pot hole in the road, getting hit by a sudden gust of side wind, corrugated dirt roads etc. Not just for high speed or coming back down to earth from a wheelie :)

• Like 1

I put one on my bike, even though it's pretty stable up front- I had a serious tank-slapper on a CBR900RR once and nearly crashed at a pretty high speed, and I was lucky to have gotten out of it- a steering damper would have lessened or prevented the incident entirely- it's (somewhat) cheap insurance against a potentially dangerous issue.

That said, I wouldn't ride on the track or in the dirt without one- a light front end or areas of poor traction can cause a tank-slapper- you won't see many pros riding without a damper.

Oops, I responded a bit late mate. You basically said it already :)

it prevents always unexpected tank slappers and it is needed for the bikes with a light front end - like my cbr500r.

you never know when a tank slapper happens and a steering damper is not that expensive. Also, it keeps you not getting worried about a tank slapper means a nicer ride.

Hey LL2, where did you get your CBR500r dampers? and how much? I wanna install one on my upcoming CB500F, will they fit on the 500F ?

cheers.

edit: a year ago I had a real scary headshake at 110km/h, when a ass**** pressed the brake so hard on his pickup, I had to overtake the car on an emergency manoeuvre to avoid hitting the back of the pickup. After overtaking I almost lost control, regained after braking with front brakes shortly. it was partially my fault because I shouldn't be going that fast.

the front well wobbled like crazy a snake.

big lesson for me...

Edited by brfsa2

I have pretty much made up mind to get the VFR 1200 DCT so I will be looking for the steering damper for this bike, for me it will be purely because of the huge holes in Thai roads, you can still have problems at low speeds so it will be a good investment!

• Like 1

Hey LL2, where did you get your CBR500r dampers? and how much? I wanna install one on my upcoming CB500F, will they fit on the 500F ?

cheers.

edit: a year ago I had a real scary headshake at 110km/h, when a ass**** pressed the brake so hard on his pickup, I had to overtake the car on an emergency manoeuvre to avoid hitting the back of the pickup. After overtaking I almost lost control, regained after braking with front brakes shortly. it was partially my fault because I shouldn't be going that fast.

the front well wobbled like crazy a snake.

big lesson for me...

i dont have one.

rsv racing install scotts monster 795 steering dampers on cbr500 abd it fits.

18 k though.

A buddy bought a brand new 2010 ZX10R and the supposed Ohlins steering damper was either defective or made ineffective for the bike. I had my 999S parked beside his and had basically the same design Ohlins damper with one big difference. Every click of the adjuster increased the dampening to the point the steering was almost locked up. His damper didn't do zip. Placebo

Edited by Garry

A buddy bought a brand new 2010 ZX10R and the supposed Ohlins steering damper was either defective or made ineffective for the bike. I had my 999S parked beside his and had basically the same design Ohlins damper with one big difference. Every click of the adjuster increased the dampening to the point the steering was almost locked up. His damper didn't do zip. Placebo

I remember reading somewhere that the bog-standard Ohlins as fitted to the ZX10 is nowhere near as adjustable as the aftermarket Ohlins. The standard one cannot be ramped up to race tight as you described.

Probably a safety feature - don't want a newbie to set it race tight and then drift off the road at his first bend.

There's a lot of dumb things they do to make bikes idiot proof and it's a waste of time considering there's a million horsepower at the wheel.

I mean, what's with the throttle that you have to twist twice around (exaggerating) to get WOT. They should be fitted with a 1/8 or 1/5 throttle at the factory. And the Japs got the one down/five up shifter wrong from day one, it's just wrong in my opinion. And then they started with the detuning modes for alleged safety - if you can't ride a bike properly and need to detune it to ride in the wet, or just don't want it to give the curve it was designed to give, there's something wrong.

Anyway, rant over. I won't even talk about the 299klm limiter, the clutch in to start, the tip over sensor, the long 1st gear, the crappy brake pads etc. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

The GPR steering damper is worth a look- I quite like my Hyperpro, and it was a great deal at a bit less than $500- it also leaves the steering stem free for a GPS mount.

^

I agree with your rant- I dumped my 299kph limiter, brake lines/pads, and safety modes/mild stock tune (via ECU reflash) the first week I had my bike.;)

• Like 1

But seriously, his damper didnt do show any sign of resistsnce at all. I thought as you that it was like this for newbs, but go through the full range and nothing. He fitted a HyperPro and as expected it was night & day. My Middle East spec 2004 R1 was fortunately unlimited, but the clocks did stop at 299kph even though the tacho kept climbing (must have been clutch slip eh!). It had a quick throttle, no second grip required like a lot of bikes.

Be careful as it takes some getting use to. When i first had mine i almost lost it at slow turns from stop lights. Maybe it was set to stiff. I never had one in the past and under normal conditions probably not needed.

Under normal conditions definitely not needed- it's the abnormal stuff that gets you.;)

I followed the HyperPro recommendations- I added a click or two every ride until it felt 'right'- I'm six clicks in, and that's where I leave it unless the road is complete crap.

Snap! unfortunately for me I did crash, it was on a RRW, 98 model, had the front wheel in the air and got a tank slapper when the wheel hit the ground, various broken bones. Absolutely 100% a steering damper would have saved it.

To the OP, it will only really be necessary for aggressive riding, casual riding it isn't needed, but for peace of mind its well worth it, not sure why most bikes dont come with one as standard...

For the track my Ohlins damper is set at 7-8 clicks (the higher the number, the higher the damping). Maximum is 15 clicks, which will just about lock up the steering. For the street 5-6 is more than enough, as I need to articulate the steering more for slow manoeuvring.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

My hyperpro has like 25 clicks i originally started around 20 and went down to about 7

To be honest, I wish at times that my Ohlins had a more incremental range like the HyperPro's for that fine tuning.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by Garry