Place To Play Pool In Bangkok

Can you guys help me with some good places to play pool here in Bangkok? I love the Swan Bar near Nana Plaza on soi 4, but would like something away from that place when I go out with the wife. It gets old when some drunk lout hits on her with me standing right there....

I would appreciate any and all recommendations!

Thanks,

Craig

The new Ball in Hand beneath ground level in the Times Square Building, next to the Sheraton on Sukhumvit. Top quality everything (as in: Sardo racks). I recognize several of the girls on staff as former hostesses at other beer or pool bars, but the Ball in Hand runs pretty professionally.

The "sister" Ball in Hand venue upstairs off the Rajah Hotel parking lot is about the same - but you have to walk the Nana Tai gauntlet to get there. The Times Square venue is just 100 meters or so from the Asoke BTS Station - opposite Robinsons.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

Red Parrot on Suriwongse Road, between soi Thaniya and Patpong. In soi Pavillion Place something.

Hey, I know that place. I played there before with some babe! :o

congratulations. you must be so proud.

Ball in Hand near the Sheraton sounds awesome! Sounds like Mega Break in Pattaya. Love that place. I am no where near an expert, but do appreciate good equipment...and will to pay for it!

Thanks so much!

Craig

The ball in hand is good, some great players there but I always feel a bit squahed in when it's too busy so always end up playing in the Hilarys Bar across the car park. I will be checking out the Times Square ball in hand soon though, I've heard a friend of mine manages it now and it's that bit closer to my home and saves me a walk through the 'jungle' afterwards. :D

Best thing about these places, they have the good equipment and it doesn't cost more than your average pool bar with the bent cues and hilly tables. :o

Can you guys help me with some good places to play pool here in Bangkok? I love the Swan Bar near Nana Plaza on soi 4, but would like something away from that place when I go out with the wife. It gets old when some drunk lout hits on her with me standing right there....

Thanks,

Craig

You have that problem too, do you? I hate that

How about Thai Visa pool competition?

My main game is snooker, but I am always ready to put up some cash for a pool competition.

Tables are not good in the Swan bar, and I got hassled by "dtang bpoeng" country girls. The next one down is better. Pisses me off when the girls keep coming when I'm playing a serious game of pool. If there's no money involved fair enough.

How about Thai Visa pool competition?

My main game is snooker, but I am always ready to put up some cash for a pool competition.

Tables are not good in the Swan bar, and I got hassled by "dtang bpoeng" country girls. The next one down is better. Pisses me off when the girls keep coming when I'm playing a serious game of pool. If there's no money involved fair enough.

Ah, but there is money involved...the money you give to those girls!

I remember my first week in Bangkok many years ago, playing pool at that place with water that comes down the front window...Soi 7 I believe...just down from Park Hotel. The deal was, at least then, if you won, your game was free. I beat the first girl, so they brought in another. Beat her, then they brought in the shark. After being brutalized 3 games in a row I left...man, she was good!

Red Parrot on Suriwongse Road, between soi Thaniya and Patpong. In soi Pavillion Place something.

It was an inside joke, rookie!!!!!!

Hey, I know that place. I played there before with some babe! :D

The manager wont put the air con on in that place unless the temperature goes above 40c, this is while hes loafing about in sandals, shorts, and a T-shirt :o

so you say now.

i reckon you could have done better

I remember my first week in Bangkok many years ago, playing pool at that place with water that comes down the front window...Soi 7 I believe...just down from Park Hotel. The deal was, at least then, if you won, your game was free. I beat the first girl, so they brought in another. Beat her, then they brought in the shark. After being brutalized 3 games in a row I left...man, she was good!

Nickname, the waterfall... yeah stil there, loser leaves Baht 20/ private bets? Not allowed by law :o

Otherwise, try Gulliver's Sukh Soi 5...

The manager wont put the air con on in that place unless the temperature goes above 40c, this is while hes loafing about in sandals, shorts, and a T-shirt :o

That's true. It was really hot in there. Cheap bastard!

so you say now.

i reckon you could have done better

Better? Why am I even responding to you?

Went to Ball in Hand at the Times Square Building last night. Great place!!!! Equipment was excellent. Had a great time. Lots of very good players in there. I think it was league night as the place was packed and everybody knew each other.

Thanks for the recommendation!!!!!

Craig

Either of the ball in hands are quite respectable with excwellent equipmanet as others have said. service is very good as well.

bullies (between suk soi2 and 4) is also pretty good, with new cuetec house cues (18 oz, very similar to the ones at ball in hand) tables are soveregn coin-op, but well maintained.

The crowd isn't that bad either, especially by gullivers and wave bar standards.

There is a small freelance crew, but they low key and not likely to offend anyone you take there.

ts

@TRIPxCORE

yes you could have done better, it seems no one else found your 'inside joke" funny either. that is if not even a single smiley o lol is any indicator. perhaps it was just too far "inside". i may actually have saved you from the dreaded "thread killer".

To answer why you felt the need to respond, god only knows, but it would seem you did.

As to why i bother, i have to get those post numbers up so i too can become a respected member of the community (like greenwanderer) and, well, you were pretty easy pickings although you did sting me to the marrow with the dreaded "newbie label". ouch.

ts

TS, over half of your post count is involved in a petty squabble which was initiated by your response to a lighthearted comment. Imagine the scene in a classroom full of kids, or an office full of white collar workers. Many of them have been there for at least 2 years , some more, some less.

Enter the new lad/lass , within minutes of his inclusion he is picking holes in the way a more established member speaks , or phrases his jokes.

You will not reach 500 posts.

But I guess you already knew that.

:o

it seems no one else found your 'inside joke" funny either.

Would it be called an "inside" joke if so many people knew about it?

And it's MY post that he originally quoted. You do the math. :o

By the way, you are now the dreaded thread killer. Can we now get back to the pool table please? :D

Edited by LovelyCutie

it seems no one else found your 'inside joke" funny either.

Would it be called an "inside" joke if so many people knew about it?

And it's MY post that he originally quoted. You do the math. :o

By the way, you are now the dreaded thread killer. Can we now get back to the pool table please? :D

Lads, the comment about the post count was meant to be ironic, next time i will spell it out more clearly.

likewise was the thread killer a comment on another thread.

Whether or not i reach 500 post is immaterial, though i agree highly unlikely. Time is a valuable commodity indeed.

Simply put it was a troll, a manner of testing the TV waters. As such it was, for me, a success. I now have my own gague of the cliqueishness and sense of humour of the board.

Some of you may note i did contribute a suggestion of a decent place to play pool. take it or leave it.

out of respect for those of you who have spent years building post counts well into the thousands i will leave off here. perhaps i will be allowed to continue, perhaps i wont.

all the best

Simply put it was a troll, a manner of testing the TV waters. As such it was, for me, a success. I now have my own gague of the cliqueishness and sense of humour of the board.

all the best

Imagine that..... :o

Anyone ever found the bar in BKK where the girls play strip pool with the customers? ( you win = they remove an item of clothing, they win = u buy them a drink )

I had 2 tidy 22yr old birds down to their nickers the other night and only had to buy the opening round :o

I forget exactly where it was tho :D

t.s: I forgot about Bullies! I believe Paul is still the part time manager there? He is great friends with my wife. Have to stop by and say hello and play a few games of pool there.

Joey Boy: wow...would sure love to find that place! After I get a little better and can come up with a good excuse to get away from the little lady!

Thanks,

Craig

The Swan has phased in new tables, a bit bigger (8'?), over the past six months although a few of the older, smaller tables remain. The larger, newer tables are 30 baht per game, and the older, smaller tables remain 20 baht per game. I spend a fair amount of time there and have never seen anyone act inappropriately towards someone who was not in their party. In fact, I'm often amazed at how courteous everyone is towards each other, especially at adjacent tables. People seem to watch out for each other and know when to wait for someone to finish a shot at an adjacent table.

In the interests of variety I too would like to find some alternatives. I found this thread while doing a search for other possibilities! There must be some large pool halls with/for primarily Thai clientele?

The Ball-in-Hands (or would that be Balls-in-Hand?) are OK, and the Brunswick (was also on Soi 4, next to The Swan) is no longer in existence.

The Red Parrot does sound interesting but they have what, ten tables at most?

Pool bars

How is this Absolute 7 ?

Edited by lomatopo

If you are into snooker there are quite a few places i play in around suk soi 7, you never see farang in these places, as they are only frequented by taxi drivers and the police, but as i know quite a few of the coppers, i usually hang in the club they play in :o

Forgot to mention they also have a great little prawn fishing place round the corner, and the last time we were there they had a huge western food festival on, with the singers and all that as well, i also believe it was attended by some of the big international schools who put shows on :D

Edited by daleyboy

I hear ya on the Swan Bar...have been going there for years. Even the new tables are crooked. I had to switch two times last week and finally gave up...just had to deal with all the balls heading to one side of the table. And the cues are not that great. The staff is great...I know many of them personally...and the customers are great. My main problem is getting there from the Skytrain with my wife. I hate walking that "gauntlet" near NP. Now if I was going there solo, that would be a different story! ;-)

The new Ball in Hand (Times Square) is awesome. Great equipment. Fantastic tables. Was there Saturday night...again. Had a blast. I will try the Red Parrot next time for sure.

Regarding Thai places. I have tried to get my wife to go, but she just does not want to. Not 100% sure why. She did say something about them drinking way too much and getting rude. Oh well...Ball in Hand is great for me now!