Falling satellite carrier expected to land in sea off Phang Nga

webfact

Falling satellite carrier expected to land in sea off Phang Nga
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Boats and aircraft passing through the Andaman Sea region have been warned to watch out for parts of a satellite-launch vehicle falling to earth, the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) said yesterday.

The agency announced that at least one part of GSLV-D5-II, India's Geosynchronous Satellite-Launch Vehicle, could fall very close to Thailand, because it will pass over Phang Nga, Surat Thani, Krabi, Phuket, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang and Phatthalung, during the launch of India's communications satellite GSAT-14, between December 15 and January 14.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch the communication satellite from its Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) with the help of GSLV-D5-II. The launch vehicle will then break up and fall to earth. The launch date has not yet been finalised, as the ISRO has to take into account weather conditions and some other relevant factors.

The GISTDA confirmed that it received information about the satellite launch from the Indian government and used the information to project the launch trajectory.

"We believe one of the falling parts from the satellite vehicle will fall about 260 kilometres off Phang Nga's coast and may be in an exclusive economic zone," the GISTDA said.

It has advised boats and planes to be on alert, if they are passing through, or are close to that particular zone. According to the GISTDA land-based people are not at risk. The GISTDA is said it was receiving regular updates from Indian government on its satellite-launch plan.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-14

I can see the picture in front of me. How a big truck comes crashing down, sort of like the whale in "Hitchhiker´s guide to the Galaxy", and landing on some poor fishermans longtail boat. shock1.gif

And the natural aftermath of getting a bunch of monks there to drive the ´Pi Dheks´ away. ph34r.png

I know this is not the case, but that´s the picture I got after reading the article. smile.png

Gentlemen.

It,s not a joke.

Nothing to do, but hope nobody will he wounded, or any cities will be targeted.

The parts will come in to the atmosphere wery quickly, and it,s no chance to se anything, maybee more same flames.

Pray, nobody get hurt.

It,s not a joke. Nothing to do, but hope nobody will he wounded, or any cities will be targeted.

I wonder who did the targeting! could it be kamakazi Thaksin Looking to take out Sutheps house!giggle.gif

Gentlemen.

It,s not a joke.

Nothing to do, but hope nobody will he wounded, or any cities will be targeted.

The parts will come in to the atmosphere wery quickly, and it,s no chance to se anything, maybee more same flames.

Pray, nobody get hurt.

Seems to me that a minor miscalculation could see it crashing on to land.

Will the Indian government pay for any damages caused?

Im sure ALL insurance companies would claim it an Act of God and weasle out of paying.

I am preparing a claim now for my boat that sank after the satellite hit it whistling.gif

I am not sure this is an act of god, but rather the act of an incompetent space program from India.

** <deleted> should allow this kind of dangerous act to occur without recriminations?