Anyone here knows anything on thai occult/magic practices.

ultimate weapon

Is this in a house or a hotel?

I've seen it done for rooms that house Buddha statues in normal houses, or above the main door if it is a new house.

The monks who are well studied in subjects of 'old thailand' may go further and write in one of the old scripts a yantra. In those pics though I couldn't make out anything, other than what looks like a 'na' as the first character.

There's a high chance it deals with good luck and things of the sort.

so why was this particular room selected for this?

Have an ask....in my experience maids love a good natter about all the weird stuff that has gone on in their hotels. Nip out, buy a few bags of grub for them, take it to their rookery and ask away....

Edited by camerata
  • Like 1

Thais believe in more than just Buddhism.

Animism, the belief in spirits and Phee or ghosts is as common as Buddhism and practiced by those who are Buddhist as well.

This is what all of the Spirit Houses at peoples homes, businesses and even at banks and airports are about.

Spirit houses are not related to Buddhism.

I have also heard of , but know little about magic in Thailand.

Things like women casting spells to find a good husband and things like that, but again, not Buddhist related.

The above posters are correct, the markings you found on the door are from blessings, usually by Buddhist monks.

It is very common for these markings to be found in vehicles and on houses.

When we finished building our new house, the local monks came and blessed the house and made the same marking above the front entrance to the house.

If you are really interested, I suggest you Google Animism and read a bit about it.

I found it very interesting.

I believe Wikipedia defines it pretty well.

The attached photos are of my brother and sister in law's new house being blessed a couple of years ago.

post-147745-0-63455300-1387079760_thumb.post-147745-0-77393500-1387079881_thumb.post-147745-0-27802600-1387080082_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As another poster replied, its just a blessing ritual. You'll also find this in a few vehicles as well.

And no, Thai Buddhism and black/white magic are not intertwined. Depending on where you are though it can be a part of the culture.

I would say they are. Not for every monk but sak yant for example can be extremely black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bizzle

• 4 weeks later...

I have those symbols etched into the ceiling of my car. Am grateful for any assistance when driving around Pattaya1

I had it done with a smile at our local Wat - Wat Buddharam in London - he saw we had a new car and a couple before had specifically asked for it. So he sat in the front seat and did soem chanting and made this clayey paste and did the pyramid of circles above the mirror. I then sat in the front seat and he sprinkled water on me with the brush thingy while I prayed and he chanted. With a knowing smile he said it's not a substitute for careful driving or mindfullness.

There should be a 5% Monk blessing insurance discount on my car insurance policy now that I am extra protected !

The following blog amulet is an interesting read which probably mirrors a lot of Thai thinking ......

http://siamgallery.blogspot.sg/

Edited by beautifulthailand99

• 2 weeks later...

..your opinion to declare that SAK Yant , which means a holy & blessed tattoo refers to black magic is completely wrong and false as everybody receiving it trough a monk ( not in a tatoo shop as souveinir) should at least keep the 5 preceipts and respects some other rules as well so please dont give any statement about if you dont even have a minimum of lay knowledge of what you are talking about as many people really RESPECT it as a holy thing and do it from pure heart ..

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You are incorrect so rather than carry on a back and forth perhaps you should look into sak yant history not just beliefs rather than losing your temper.

If you really believe I don't understand sak yant that's fine but please do not see sak yant as a traditional Buddhist practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..loosing temper is kind of bad speech as i didnt attack you personally there is no reason for..

im actually not ..and of course Sak yant is connected with buddhism practice like chanting buddha rezitations or what is the meaning of KATA , originally in Pali or samskrit as well in khmer?