Android device for the TV

bkkmick

I bought one of those Android thingys (Aconatic - cheap). The Bluetooth remote control is rubbish (the cursor rarely makes an appearance).

I paired my Android phone with the device.

I was wondering if I can stream video directly from my phone to the TV via this box?

Any ideas?

Edited by bkkmick

Im looking for some kind of cheap android device to plug into hdmi socket on TV

Possibility to use youtube and bit torrent, so ill guess itll need to plug to usb hard drive also

also would need to connect to bluetooth keyboard and mouse i guess

Would be good to be able to play a few games from android store. I guess they work with mouse and keyboard too?

Any ideas? - was thinking to get a mac mini, but its expensive

Edited by BuffaloRescue

The one I bought (THB2990) has a bluetooth keyboard (Toshiba) but it's not very good. A friend has the same device and suffers with the same problem with the keyboard/mouse. (mouse is on the keyboard). When I try to type in a URL I get wwwwwwwwwwwwww;ggggggggooo...etc.. maybe a better bluetooth keyboard will sort that out.

Possibility to use youtube and bit torrent, so ill guess itll need to plug to usb hard drive also

Would be good to be able to play a few games from android store. I guess they work with mouse and keyboard too?

I have been researching these boxes also. I have come up with the Roku and WD Live. They appear to be the most well known (and supported?), available in Thailand or via Amazon.com and are well priced with a Roku 2 selling around $88US. Take care with which model you choose as there is varying features such as external USB connection or not. Not sure about keyboards and mice on these either but with their remotes both do a good job.

I am now tossing up with using my PC as an iptv server but may purchase a roku2 as they are cheap and don't draw much power.

Good luck and do post your final choice as this is a confusing topic for many.

Edited by avander

For some reason I couldn't edit my initial post replying so adding another.

Why Android only? I have been researching streaming media devices also. I came up with the Roku and WD Live. They appear to be the most well known (and supported?), available in Thailand or via Amazon.com and are well priced with a Roku 2 selling around $88US. Take care with models as there is varying features such as external USB connection or not. Not sure about keyboards and mice on these either but with their remotes both do a good job.

Some time back I was recommended to look at a 'PI' device which is available here in Thailand.

I am now tossing up with using my PC as an iptv server but may just purchase a roku2 as they are cheap and don't draw much power.

Good luck and do post your final choice as this is a confusing topic for many.

I have the CX-919 Quad Core TV Player. Excellent, cost US$60 from AliBaba with free China Post airmail shipping to Phuket; no customs hassle at all . Connects to internet via WiFi, does browser and usual web functions. Also interface to my main computer, to play videos and audio (MP3 etc) stored on computer. Computer file access needs to have sharing enabled. Much recommended for this specific unit but beware because there are many different such devices and most of them are far less desirable per user comments on internet.

Airplay should allow you to stream music from a phone to the android box

not sure about video

In answer to the question Why Android?

Well it is a computer in its own right with a myriad of applications you can download

WD Live is a proprietary box with only one purpose, and rather long in the tooth these days

My Minix Neo X7 has a quad core processor. The standard remote is crap, but I have the

blutooth remote on order, hopefully arriving this week