Breaking point in Thailand

telldem

I'm not in a position to judge anybody's worth as a human being, but if he's actually super morbidly obese as it seems he is, my hope that he can find a way to get medical assistance for that remains (and that would almost definitely need to be surgery).

What does "super morbidly obese" mean?

Is there a weight to height formula for that, or is it a term that should only be determined by a medical practictioner.

Yes I posted it before. There is a BMI level, over that and you have that medical classification. I think unless this man is very tall he is easily into SUPER morbid obesity. The standard medical treatment is surgery but some patients are just too unhealthy otherwise to do the surgery.

Basically the levels are

Underweight (maybe there are other underweight levels as well, but off topic here)

"Normal Weight"

Overweight

Obese

Morbidly Obese

Super Morbidly Obese

Some people think you have to be a subject of a t.v. documentary and weigh 700 pounds to be SUPER morbidly obese. Not so.

Of course short of surgery eating a healthier diet and moving (within reason, such super obese people simply CANNOT do strenuous exercise) with a view towards some weight loss is definitely good, though that will almost never be a long term solution for people THAT fat.

What are your reasons for finding him at SUPER MORBIDLY OBESE level?

380 lbs is just about twice my body weight and I'm pretty thin. He appears pretty mobile and the weight does not appears to prevent functioning, but obviously it is a hinderance.

I would put him at between OBESE and MORBIDLY OBESE, not SUPER DUPER MORBIDLY OBESE!

Looking a the X-Mas video it appears that he has supportive family in Canada that can afford to send a small package at $80 postage and give gold watches. Even I go out of my way to send flat rate boxes. Perhaps they can help with an airline ticket.

Edited by donniereadit

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not in a position to judge anybody's worth as a human being, but if he's actually super morbidly obese as it seems he is, my hope that he can find a way to get medical assistance for that remains (and that would almost definitely need to be surgery).

Is there a weight to height formula for that, or is it a term that should only be determined by a medical practictioner.

Yes I posted it before. There is a BMI level, over that and you have that medical classification. I think unless this man is very tall he is easily into SUPER morbid obesity. The standard medical treatment is surgery but some patients are just too unhealthy otherwise to do the surgery.

Basically the levels are

Underweight (maybe there are other underweight levels as well, but off topic here)

"Normal Weight"

Overweight

Obese

Morbidly Obese

Super Morbidly Obese

Some people think you have to be a subject of a t.v. documentary and weigh 700 pounds to be SUPER morbidly obese. Not so.

Of course short of surgery eating a healthier diet and moving (within reason, such super obese people simply CANNOT do strenuous exercise) with a view towards some weight loss is definitely good, though that will almost never be a long term solution for people THAT fat.

380 lbs is just about twice my body weight and I'm pretty thin. He appears pretty mobile and the weight does not appears to prevent functioning, but obviously it is a hinderance.

I would put him at between OBESE and MORBIDLY OBESE, not SUPER DUPER MORBIDLY OBESE!

Looking a the X-Mas video it appears that he has supportive family in Canada that can afford to send a small package at $80 postage and give gold watches. Even I go out of my way to send flat rate boxes. Perhaps they can help with an airline ticket.

Oh geez!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/369944-super-morbid-obesity-body-mass-index/

It's based on a number, dude. BMI over 50 for super morbid obesity and 40 - 50 for morbid obesity and 30 - 40 for standard obesity and 25 - 30 for just overweight and not obese and 18 - 25 normal weight and under 18 is underweight.

These things are DEFINED. It's not based on your subjective opinion.

So at 380 pounds let's do the math:

If he's tall, at 6 foot 2" then he is MORBIDLY OBESE, BMI 48.8

At 6 foot 1" then he is SUPER morbidly obese, BMI 50.1.

And of of course less than 6' 1" tall, even higher BMI, also SUPER morbidly obese.

He's at least morbidly obese.

I guess I can imagine where you're coming from. Some people see the news articles about people needing a crane to remove them from their room from the bed they haven't budged from in years and think you have to be that EXTREME to be classified as SUPER morbidly obese. It is not so. BMI over 50 does the deed.

Edited by Jingthing

So Jingthing, based on your own logic above ... you're just guessing as you don't know his height ... rolleyes.gif

Is he a 'Super' Man ... or not

Not exactly. At 380 pounds there is NO DOUBT he is at least into the higher end of the morbid obese BMI category and more likely in the lower end of SUPER. You can tell by the picture he isn't a giant or a midget. BMI would be less relevant in case of body builder types but this person obviously isn't one.

This guy is gonna get loads of paypal donations due to all the publicity he is getting on here. It'll be like Walt Jr. watching the screen for his dad's Lung Cancer appeal.

Yes, I imagine the telephone operator at Pizza Company is quiet busy today.

More low blow fat-shaming tripe. One of the last few socially acceptable (even promoted) areas of discrimination among westerners. Of course in Thailand many more areas of discrimination are socially acceptable, but this is an expat forum.

What's wrong with simply say he's a fat arse?

In the west it's so bad. How many asians do you see that are morbidly obese? An asian would be called fat just for having a protruding tummy and western ppl are allowed to balloon like that?

Don't have time to listen to the whole VDO, but really! When he didn't have a meter, why didn't he put aside some money each month to pay for it when they did fix the meter? If the meter wasn't broken did he think he wouldn't be paying out every month, and 3,000 baht for 13 months- that's not much. Then to say it took his entire savings- ONLY THREE THOUSAND BAHT.

I guess some people are grasshoppers ( remember the kids story? ).

But seriously, if he can't afford to pay his electricity bill, what was he going to do at visa time????????????

He mentioned 3,000 U.S. DOLLARS (100,000 baht-ish), not 3,000 Thai baht. facepalm.gif

BTW, sad to say a huge portion of Americans also wouldn't have 100,000 baht-ish in ready cash reserves.

Next ...

Don't even have 3k USD on hand. Pathetic.

whistling.gif Oh lord imagine trying to create a new category like adding an adjective "super" to morbidly obese. When someone is obese that is bad enough but there were people much fatter than that so they put in morbidly to obese but seems like there are still even fatter people so they put in super morbidly obese and i am sure they have super duper morbidly obese cos as you know obese isn't really that bad in the first place.

There isn't really a label beyond super morbidly obese other than ... DEAD. I can see a possible use for one though for the category of fat person that is so super morbidly obese that they can't ever leave their house and need industrial equipment to get them out!

Basically the levels are

"Normal Weight"

Overweight

Obese

Morbidly Obese

Super Morbidly Obese

A minor point but if you watch the video again pay attention and you will hear him say the package was sent by their friends Randy and Pat from Canada. No where is their any mention of a family in Canada. I would suspect that that "gold watch" was only gold in color, still pretty decent of "Randy & Pat to send the gifts and cash.

What he talks about in some of his youtube videos is hard to believe. In one he talks about how he goes to the houses of neighbors who have recently moved and takes the items that they've left behind. In another he talks about how his neighbors "own cars and houses" and that he doesn't. He also talks about a neighbor who took his family to Japan for a few days vacation and he'd like to do the same.

He probably already knows he's fat, so tying to make him feel better by telling him he's "Super Morbidly Obese" may not work.

Perhaps sending him a link to this thread would cheer him up...

That's a good point. Fat people already know they're fat. Abusing them isn't helpful. I don't know that he knows these standard categorized labels based on BMI though that give some general information about the relative escalating health risk of the different LEVELS of being fat. Motivation to change ultimately needs to come from the person themselves ... external fat shaming doesn't provide the motivation.

Edited by Jingthing

Why is the emphasis on him being fat. I have an over weight friend who is active and productive in life.

You are correct that many overweight (not yet obese) and obese people live good lives. Yes people can be fat and healthy. However, once you get to the point of morbid obesity and super morbid obesity the harsh reality is that your very life is seriously at VERY HIGH risk. Also of course already existing (and related) serious diseases like diabetes. Because of that, I think the focus makes sense.

Edited by Jingthing

I reckon this guy has a trust fund or inheritance stashed away somewhere. He has been in Thailand for what, 15 years, and has 3 kids and an expensive lifestyle, air con, house, etc. There is no way you could pay for all that doing acting work here. No way. I have plenty of friends who have done all kinds of acting work here, international movies, Thai soaps, ads, and always the pay rate is abysmal and is almost always just by the day. i.e. you get maybe 6 days' work if you're lucky and that's it.

His crying poverty has more holes in it than an old pair of underpants. This is baloney. He is pretending to be poor so other people don't ask him for cash.

I reckon this guy has a trust fund or inheritance stashed away somewhere. He has been in Thailand for what, 15 years, and has 3 kids and an expensive lifestyle, air con, house, etc. There is no way you could pay for all that doing acting work here. No way. I have plenty of friends who have done all kinds of acting work here, international movies, Thai soaps, ads, and always the pay rate is abysmal and is almost always just by the day. i.e. you get maybe 6 days' work if you're lucky and that's it.

His crying poverty has more holes in it than an old pair of underpants. This is baloney. He is pretending to be poor so other people don't ask him for cash.

Probably had an inheritance. I think it ran out a while ago by the looks of it.

Edited by MJP

Why is the emphasis on him being fat. I have an over weight friend who is active and productive in life.

You are correct that many overweight (not yet obese) and obese people live good lives. Yes people can be fat and healthy. However, once you get to the point of morbid obesity and super morbid obesity the harsh reality is that your very life is seriously at VERY HIGH risk. Also of course already existing (and related) serious diseases like diabetes. Because of that, I think the focus makes sense.

So can I interpret his situation to be solely based on the fact that he is morbidly obese?

So can I interpret his situation to be solely based on the fact that he is morbidly obese?

You can interpret his situation however you like. From my POV, he has presented multiple serious problems, some very direct threats to his life. Depends on how your brain filters priorities. In my world STAYING ALIVE is gonna be tops. There is little doubt that his actual real life problems including most likely mental depression have contributed to more severe obesity but of the course severe obesity fuels mental health / physical health / social / employment / financial problems as well, kind of a vicious cycle. I have never suggested that addressing the severe obesity magically solves all problems. In a case like this ... where do you start ...

Edited by Jingthing

You can interpret his situation however you like. From my POV, he has presented multiple serious problems, some very direct threats to his life. Depends on how your brain filters priorities. In my world STAYING ALIVE is gonna be tops. There is little doubt that his actual real life problems including most likely mental depression have contributed to more severe obesity but of the course severe obesity fuels mental health / physical health / social / employment / financial problems as well, kind of a vicious cycle. I have never suggested that addressing the severe obesity magically solves all problems. In a case like this ... where do you start ...

You start by dieting doing something pro- active. The guy has clearly lost control of his life..something we probably have all felt at dome point.

BemVk4s.gif

pKTLcTo.gif

Edited by ultimate weapon

You start by dieting doing something pro- active. The guy has clearly lost control of his life..something we probably have all felt at dome point.

Yeah I bet he hasn't thought of that ... dieting.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

. Keep in mind different people have different metabolic systems

No, they don't. This old chestnut constantly gets batted around, but the equation is desperately simple. If you eat more food than you expend in energy requirements, you will put on weight. If you eat less food than your energy requirements you will lose weight. Thats it.

Going back to the theme, I may well have had more sympathy if judd took responsibility himself, instead of blaming others. It must have taken a decade or more of overeating to get to that size - but I am to blame?? I am greedy??

I think not.

Yeah I bet he hasn't thought of that ... dieting.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like that reply but I was stating the obvious though..

but like everything..does nothing other than go on you tube..which seems very narcissistic for someone who has weight issues.

You clearly emphasis with this guy. I would like to but at the end of the day you have to take responsibility for yourself first to be capable of looking after others..this isn't an overnight development..

• Like 1

No, they don't. This old chestnut constantly gets batted around, but the equation is desperately simple. If you eat more food than you expend in energy requirements, you will put on weight. If you eat less food than your energy requirements you will lose weight. Thats it.

Jingthing is correct. Different people have different "energy requirements" and some can eat anything that they want without putting on weight. Others can eat very little and still remain fat. Scientist are starting to think that it can be because of the type of bacteria in ones guts.

http://science.time.com/2013/08/29/you-are-your-bacteria-how-the-gut-microbiome-influences-health/

Jingthing is correct. Different people have different "energy requirements" and some can eat anything that they want without putting on weight. Others can eat very little and still remain fat. Scientist are starting to think that it can be because of the type of bacteria in ones guts.

http://science.time.com/2013/08/29/you-are-your-bacteria-how-the-gut-microbiome-influences-health/

No ... please Noooooooooooooooooooooo

There is a whole sub forum dedicated to that subject ... im-too-fat-forum ... a whole <deleted>' Forum!

We don't need to open that chestnut here!

Bash it out there ... no need to cross seed this OP with that diatribe.

• Like 2