Breaking point in Thailand

telldem

You can't diagnose a mental illness from a video. Sure he needs multiple kinds of help and a JOB and I don't see how that will happen.I was talking in general about the nasty tone of a number of posts here.Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm glad I posted this on here. A lot of people are offering to help him on his YouTube channel. But there are some very nasty comments as well.

I'm sure he's going to get the support he needs to get him back on his feet.

Wow. So you're the optimistic sort. Good on you.

You dont have to be so sensitive jingthing. I pm you because I just wanted to know If you were being sincere about your last post. Ct was a type o. Don't know what Ct means any way. You didn't have to block me.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why I posted this is to show how things can go pear-shaped in a hurry( not sure if that's the right term, I see it on here a lot), no matter how long you've lived here. And also to help this guy with some good friendly advice.

I was dumbfounded on how this happened to such a nice person and how his personality changed so dramatically....For those of you who have slow internet, this is a 27 minute video (and believe me, it will keep your interest throughout) of a portly fellow from the USA that has been living in Thailand for 13 years. From looking at his past videos on youtube, he seems to be a jolly, God fearing Christian,good husband, good father; someone who could easily be one of your closest friends. Anyway, Things take a turn for the worse when he loses his job, and depletes his savings. As if he didn't have enough problems, his unemployed younger brother comes over for a visit from the U.S to see if he can make it in Thailand like his big brother. After the brother had stayed a week, one night, the portly fellow goes up stairs and discovers the shock of his life, his younger brother trying to have sex with his wife, while his 3 kids are asleep nearby. He goes on a profanity laced rant throughout the rest of the video about how he's a "dead man walking", how all his friends deserted him by not lending him money and he hates his life, he hates living in Thailand and that its like a "prison." Basically, he wishes he were dead.

My advice to him is to stop spending all that energy feeling sorry for yourself and worrying about what other people have and just focus on your family. Go back to church and Have faith that things will turn around. From one of your other videos,your kids are adorable and did a Thai-commercial that was aired on TV. You could be their agent and get them more bookings, Tutor English, sell stuff on the street with your wife....

Anybody have anymore ideas?

. Go and pray to his god for help!,,.is he,or it ,gunna give him money? Get a life.

If you're depressed because your life is sheit that's not the same thing as a mental illness. It reflects your reality. Yes the man deserves compassion. He's got some really really big troubles and all some want to do is kick him down some more.

A man could let himself get this down and out without something diagnosable being wrong with him? His reality is that he let himself get into a situation with no plan B. Something was wrong with him that led up to that.

Look at the choices he made. Look where it landed him.

I do have compassion for him, and I wouldn't kick him when he's down, but so many on here have mentioned options for him and his preferred option seems to get on YouTube and rant.

Since this is just an internet forum and everyone has an opinion, my guess is that something was wrong with him before he made every decision in a long string of decisions that led up to this situation.

Well, How can anyone come to Thailand and start a family and not have some sort of financial plan? Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or anywhere. Yet people do. Many many people.

The fact that there are children deeply impacted by this man's extremely serious problems sure does make it worse.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, How can anyone come to Thailand and start a family and not have some sort of financial plan? Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or anywhere. Yet people do. Many many people.

Its not very wise is it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you're depressed because your life is sheit that's not the same thing as a mental illness. It reflects your reality. Yes the man deserves compassion. He's got some really really big troubles and all some want to do is kick him down some more.

A man could let himself get this down and out without something diagnosable being wrong with him? His reality is that he let himself get into a situation with no plan B. Something was wrong with him that led up to that.

I do have compassion for him, and I wouldn't kick him when he's down, but so many on here have mentioned options for him and his preferred option seems to get on YouTube and rant.

Since this is just an internet forum and everyone has an opinion, my guess is that something was wrong with him before he made every decision in a long string of decisions that led up to this situation.

In one of his utube videos he explains his depression as a result of taking an anti cholesterol medication, Crestor. He is under a doctors care for weight loss.

In one of his utube videos he explains his depression as a result of taking an anti cholesterol medication, Crestor. He is under a doctors care for weight loss.

Doctors can't do anything for such a super obese patient short of prepping them for bariatric surgery which he can't afford. There is no safe existing medication that results in long term large weight loss that doctors have to give. Perhaps some day but not now. Diet and exercise as therapy rarely work long term for regular overweight and obese people, for the super obese almost never. Not sure of a link between Crestor and depression but why wouldn't he be depressed?

Edited by Jingthing

Doctors can't do anything for such a super obese patient short of prepping them for bariatric surgery which he can't afford. There is no safe existing medication that results in long term large weight loss that doctors have to give. Perhaps some day but not now. Diet and exercise as therapy rarely work long term for regular overweight and obese people, for the super obese almost never. Not sure of a link between Crestor and depression but why wouldn't he be depressed?

He explained in the video that a Thai doctor had prescribed him Crestor to lower his cholesterol and when he mentioned that he was getting depressed and had a lot of new pain the other man told him he had the same thing when he was taking Crestor. You can go through his videos and check for yourself but I think I am being accurate.

I'm sure he must be reading this thread by now. Someone would have told him. I wonder when he will make an appearance. I wonder how many TV has pushed over the edge?

Edited by thailiketoo

I have no reason not to believe you. Crestor of course is not a treatment for obesity. Only for cholesterol levels which is influenced by obesity but not the same thing. As said, doctors have no safe medication in their arsenal to effectively reverse obesity, especially for the super obese. Imagine how much the drug companies could make if they DID have such a medication!

Edited by Jingthing

Being that obese is a significant obstacle to employment even in a western country where there are decent jobs.

Many employers would not want to be bothered to accomodate for size unless you bring significant skills to the picture or there are no other applicants.

His back up plan was probably to get another job in this situation. Don't know too many people who have a back up job on tap in case they are made redundant, but it's a good idea for the extremely safe, I suppose.

I wonder what this guy was like when he first arrived and whether he put on weight here do to complancency. I have noticed a lot of expats that get real lazy when they settle in, just sit around and drink or what have you, because they can and because things seem cheap at first. Also, because they don't have to keep appearances up as much for ladies. Then wake up years later and realize the were not seizing opportunities like they would have in their home countries due to economic pressure.

I am only guessing he has reached a level of SUPER morbidly obesity. Maybe not that bad, not sure, seems almost definitely morbidly obese. There are different levels, just overweight (generally not a serious problem for most as far as health or even socially), obese (more serious), and then into morbid obesity, and then the SUPER morbidly obese. In any case, he's up there at least based on that tub video that kind of severe obesity for anyone would be life threatening and of course also a higher degree of social issues with employment. At first I only saw the head shots and didn't realize this. He needs more than positive attitude, folks. Also even with surgery you still need good nutrition, care, and support and if you're living in great poverty, I don't see how that happens.

Edited by Jingthing

I am only guessing he has reached a level of SUPER morbidly obesity. Maybe not that bad, not sure, seems almost definitely morbidly obese. There are different levels, just overweight (generally not a serious problem for most as far as health or even socially), obese (more serious), and then into morbid obesity, and then the SUPER morbidly obese. In any case, he's up there at least based on that tub video that kind of severe obesity for anyone would be life threatening and of course also a higher degree of social issues with employment. At first I only saw the head shots and didn't realize this. He needs more than positive attitude, folks. Also even with surgery you still need good nutrition, care, and support and if you're living in great poverty, I don't see how that happens.

The SUPERS are more in the 400+ range. After reviewing the vid in detail he said he was 380 lbs and recently lost about 7 lbs. He is still mobile, though indicates he stays in his room a lot and the pains he has are likely weight related.

Maybe the vege diet and no meat is a blessing in disguise. Although I would not wish such an extreme menu on anyone, I'm sure there are plenty of monks and other aesthetics around that subsist contently on his current diet.

I know that I can go days on plain white rice (no soy sauce) and water if I'm in the right mindset. Sometimes I have to have soda water and my coffee however to keep from getting cranky.

Just as an aside, I think the vid is too whiney and seems like something is amiss in his personality. Could just be stress, or an episode where he let it all hang out and he's not like the normally. Can't really tell.

One thing I do know is that a MAN is always getting off. He could be raw veges, going through a traumatic relationship issue, or even working out. It does not really matter what the activity is. So whining like a baby is not that great. Asking for handouts on a personal level is also non-doable, though for a cause or someone else maybe a legit request.

Edited by donniereadit

All the guys problems come from him being him.....he is probably at a point in his life that he is near the point of selfreflection of his whole life.....he has a long road ahead of him to clear his problems.....introspection comes with being in big sh.it.....good luck for him.

380? Depending on height, excellent chance he is at super morbid obesity. Solving that problem doesn't mean all the other problems instantly go away, sadly, but that problem is quite life threatening (high morbid obesity or super morbid obesity, seriously it's well beyond a minor problem).

Example, 5'9" 380 is BMI 56.

Super morbid obesity is defined as BMI or exceeding 50 or ideal weight by 225 percent.

A rice only diet is a HORRIBLE choice for anyone even more so a super morbidly obese man.

You don't have to be psychic to realize he will never be a healthy weight man with diet and exercise.

I really think he needs to get back the U.S. and find a way to get on Medicaid for surgery.

Tragic for his family but get real, super MORBID obesity, get the key word there?!?

I'm saying that but of course a man that size is going to have problem getting into an airplane seat, assuming he can buy a ticket.

Edited by Jingthing

380? Depending on height, excellent chance he is at super morbid obesity. Solving that problem doesn't mean all the other problems instantly go away, sadly, but that problem is quite life threatening (high morbid obesity or super morbid obesity, seriously it's well beyond a minor problem).

Example, 5'9" 380 is BMI 56.

Super morbid obesity is defined as BMI or exceeding 50 or ideal weight by 225 percent.

A rice only diet is a HORRIBLE choice for anyone even more so a super morbidly obese man.

You don't have to be psychic to realize he will never be a healthy weight man with diet and exercise.

I really think he needs to get back the U.S. and find a way to get on Medicaid for surgery.

Tragic for his family but get real, super MORBID obesity, get the key word there?!?

I'm saying that but of course a man that size is going to have problem getting into an airplane seat, assuming he can buy a ticket.

Good call on that one.

Airlines will require that he purchase 2 seats if he cannot fit into a single slot. (i.e. He can't go in and raise the armrest and 'suggest' the neighbor move further afield).

He could purchase one economy seat and hope the seat next to him is empty. Raising the armrest is allowable during take-off and landing, I believe, as long as the seat belt is fastened.

They also have a diabetic option for meals now on most airlines at no added cost. He should request one of these.

Another issue is whether the seat belt would fit over his torso, not sure on that one. If you get 2 seats I think they can combine seatbelts so you get added girth.

Looking a the tub and the intro on each video where he is standing there in that long shirt, it's clear that he would not fit into an airline seat. So it's either upgrade to business/first class where they have the big seats/beds that would fit him, or get 2 economy seats.

I think he is American. That's going to be pretty expensive to the US, at least 2k thereabouts.

Listened to approximately 30 seconds of your BS. Life is good if you make it good. I think you

are a total scam looking for sympathy and some free money from some innocent people willing

to help out the needy....get off your fat butt, get a job, eat less, your family will have more food or

head back to "the States" where you can live off the welfare system.

• Like 2

Listened to approximately 30 seconds of your BS. Life is good if you make it good. I think you

are a total scam looking for sympathy and some free money from some innocent people willing

to help out the needy....get off your fat butt, get a job, eat less, your family will have more food or

head back to "the States" where you can live off the welfare system.

Life might be good for this guy someday but it really can't be good any time soon in his current multiple problems condition. To suggest things will get magically solved for someone who is already super morbidly obese with such tired moralistic platitudes reflects major lack of understanding of the extent of the issues obviously presented. Also it's not as if getting his family back to the US would mean an easy life either. Far from it. But I'm thinking without the surgery to give the chance of recovery, then I'd rather not state the obvious again. Just my take. Also worth mentioning not all super obese people are healthy enough to even be considered for the surgery.

Sometimes things ARE as bad as they appear but yes where there is life, there's hope.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder if he exercises, he has plenty of time. I really can't understand how he can spend so much time at his computer yet can't get a job teaching English. If he's been here 13 years, he must have some Thai friends who could help him get a job. Looks like a con to me. He should cut out rice and live on raw pappaya for a while.

I wonder if he exercises, he has plenty of time. I really can't understand how he can spend so much time at his computer yet can't get a job teaching English. If he's been here 13 years, he must have some Thai friends who could help him get a job. Looks like a con to me. He should cut out rice and live on raw pappaya for a while.

You don't get it.

He is beyond normal dieting.

All the morality scolding is just cruel where he is at now.

He needs REAL help.

Also as far as his REALISTIC employment prospects, let's break it down:

1. No degree (as reported here, can't confirm that)

2. Appearance issues

3. Either morbidly obese or super morbidly obese (yes OF COURSE such people experience severe employment discrimination in ANY country)

4. Long term unemployed

5. Quite likely OTHER health conditions in addition to the EXTREME obesity

Now honestly realistically how do you rate his chances? coffee1.gif

http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/trial/88869/Bariatric-Surgery-For-Morbid-Obesity.html

Bariatric surgery remains the only proven long term treatment of morbid obesity.
Edited by Jingthing

You don't get it.

He is beyond normal dieting.

All the morality scolding is just cruel where he is at now.

He needs REAL help.

http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/trial/88869/Bariatric-Surgery-For-Morbid-Obesity.html

Bariatric surgery remains the only proven long term treatment of morbid obesity.

Lets cut to the chase here, he didnt wake up like this one morning, no one gets into this shape overnight.

This guy has been a train wreck waiting to happen for years and for reasons known only to him chose to ignore it.

Too be honest, I have seen far worse than him.

Gawd knows what shape his joints are in, never mind internally, could he even be considered to be in a fit enough condition to undergo such radical surgery?

Of course this condition didn't develop overnight. However, at this point blame is irrelevant. What can be done to possibly begin the healing? Only a competent doctor could evaluate the risk of surgery but then there is the risk of no surgery. It is true that in some cases, not even surgery can be ethically done due to the risks.

It is also my impression that under some health care systems (such as the British National Health) patients are usually required to show personal commitment to their weight loss process by FIRST losing a first chunk of their weight themselves before the state pays for the surgery. Not sure about U.S. Medicare's policy on this. The point being that the surgery isn't magic. The patient still needs to work at it before and after surgery. The point is in the real world some people are just beyond being helped.

Edited by Jingthing

In Usa there is a program on tv called OBESE. It deals about people who are motivated to loose weight. For men with a weight of over 200 kgs of what i have seen. They are on a rigid diet and need to work out alot under the guidance of a personal coach. It takes motivation and discipline to loose around minimum of 30% weightloss. The people who succeed than have to remain around a year of approx similar weight before their loose fat on the body can be taken away.

The problem i think the guy has, has nothing to do much with his weight. That is just an underlying problem. Selfesteem, selfconfidence is i reckon a bigger issue for him. However all what is written on here, he has kids to take care of and thus a family to feed.

If he was seeking real help the rant on youtube was wrong IMO but on whatever way he would request help the majority of people would still judge him and.....well u know.

It doesnt take much to open ur heart people.....be happy that u dont need to ask for it.

Life can be a b..ch

People can argue about the morality issues of fat people till the cows come home, but once a person reaches morbid obesity or super morbid obesity, the thing that really MATTERS is the medical issue.

If someone posted who had lung cancer from smoking would you be lecturing and shaming him about the mistakes he made in the past that created his condition? For what purpose? All I can see is CRUELTY.

I understand people are rubbed wrong by the video but considering his medical condition perhaps this is a cry for help. I'm not saying he is likely to GET adequate help but crying out for it, even very clumsily, is also certainly understandable.

Humans have flaws. You might think you are strong and invincible but you will experience suffering in your life too. Do you want a pack of human hyenas lecturing you at that point?

I think a lot of this ugly reaction to this suffering man is a reflection of people's OWN insecurities. They FEAR such a a fate themselves and want to believe such bad things could NEVER happen to them because of their superior morality and greater control over their lives. But deep down they know a downfall CAN happen to anyone.

Edited by Jingthing

yes axcatly a very nice loyal wife,i dont know about kids nothing and no one has brought kids up as far as i know.But i dont blame he's thai gf no money no honey.I would doubt if she would have any reservations about leaving him tomorrow,considering he's brother might be a keeper 5555.

People can argue about the morality issues of fat people till the cows come home, but once a person reaches morbid obesity or super morbid obesity, the thing that really MATTERS is the medical issue.

If someone posted who had lung cancer from smoking would you be lecturing and shaming him about the mistakes he made in the past that created his condition? For what purpose? All I can see is CRUELTY.

I understand people are rubbed wrong by the video but considering his medical condition perhaps this is a cry for help. I'm not saying he is likely to GET adequate help but crying out for it, even very clumsily, is also certainly understandable.

Humans have flaws. You might think you are strong and invincible but you will experience suffering in your life too. Do you want a pack of human hyenas lecturing you at that point?

I think a lot of this ugly reaction to this suffering man is a reflection of people's OWN insecurities. They FEAR such a a fate themselves and want to believe such bad things could NEVER happen to them because of their superior morality and greater control over their lives. But deep down they know a downfall CAN happen to anyone.

No sorry not true yes a downfall can happen at any time but you are in control of your own life destiny.life gives you lemons make lemonaide im sure you can relate to that,if you let yourself go and have no self control then who do you blame??? if you are insecure enough to continually blame other people circumstances then you are beyond any decent self respecting help and you dont deserve any.If you jt wer'e heading down that path would you stand up and be counted or would you subscribe to the mai pen rai mentallity.