Base language for protesters 'will backfire'

Lite Beer

Are these " lewd homophobic and misogynistic expressions" so nasty that they can't print a few examples of them?

I mean, are they calling each other 'katoey' or what? coffee1.gif

if i remember well, Thaskin himself did call katoey the generals who ousted him in a press conference.

But on the others hand, these last few months and weeks, the yellow shirt did call Yingluck a prostitute, a bitch, etc etc sorry.gif

Good, well thought out article criticising all sides use of discriminatory language. Lets hope the rest of the thread carries on in the same manner. ;-).

Well, it's always important to have hope, but..

Ummm.. You do realize that this is TV, right?

Thus speaketh the PC Brigade.

"Even if Thailand now have a sitting woman prime minister, we still look down on women," she said.

This may have a lot to do with how she became PM, her qualifications to hold the position, and the perceived results. If somebody competent had gained the position through her merits and gone on to be a great leader, it may well have helped raise the status of Thai women. Yingluk has done the opposite.

The culture of viewing women as a sex slave is not limited to Thailand. It is the general perception in the Far East.

Singapore even legalize them. I.e. nothing wrong with that.

You only have to review the endless misogynist sneers and slander that the pro-Bangkok elite posters here have heaped on YS since the day that she won the last election. No chance has been missed to spew bile and invective at her whatever she did. It reminds me of the initial contempt shown by the patrician old-guard in the Consevative Party to Mrs Thatcher. That is, until she proved that she was more of a man than those chinless wimps ever could be.

I would like to take this chance to say that Yingluk has excellent taste in clothing, though I draw the line at B2.5 million accessories, and Burberry boots for flood walks.

Perhaps you can remind us of her remarkable successes that we may sing her praises?

I can't think of any. In fact, most of the time she can't even manage to show up.

"Even if Thailand now have a sitting woman prime minister, we still look down on women," she said.

This may have a lot to do with how she became PM, her qualifications to hold the position, and the perceived results. If somebody competent had gained the position through her merits and gone on to be a great leader, it may well have helped raise the status of Thai women. Yingluk has done the opposite.

Sign me on for the brigade.

Are these " lewd homophobic and misogynistic expressions" so nasty that they can't print a few examples of them?

There are words in Thai that describe a women in such terms that she is worse than a whore. There are no English terms for these words. These are the words AV used to describe YS. It now has rubbed off on his supporters and they are degrading women by using these terms/expressions. The writer are warning that it may backfire on the Dems if they continue to degrade women.

Yingluck is not a feminist. She didn't get her PM job in a feminist way. Misogyny and homophobia are both despicable in any case. I suppose they are related and its not news to me that they are used as attack tools in Thai politics. More traditionally, the homophobia, but its predictable that the misogyny increased when Yingluck became PM.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

There are words in Thai that describe a women in such terms that she is worse than a whore. There are no English terms for these words. These are the words AV used to describe YS. It now has rubbed off on his supporters and they are degrading women by using these terms/expressions. The writer are warning that it may backfire on the Dems if they continue to degrade women.

I think you'll find the writer is condemning all sides, as they are all guilty of this type of abuse.

• Like 1

Good, well thought out article criticising all sides use of discriminatory language. Lets hope the rest of the thread carries on in the same manner. ;-).

Well, it's always important to have hope, but..

Ummm.. You do realize that this is TV, right?

yes the cynics and those of dubious intent and even less knowledge will all have a "little" to say on these pages, but as you said "we can always hope"

I think you'll find the writer is condemning all sides, as they are all guilty of this type of abuse.

Yes you are correct, it started when AV called YS names and since then it has spiralled out of control on both sides on social media. Unfortunately AV is the only politician that used these terms in public. He also did not retract his statement which has opened the door for both sides to abuse these terms on female supporters on both sides. The attitude is if my leader can use these terms why can't I and on the government side if you use it on my sides females I can use it on your female supporters. There are very little self control on social media at the moment and no objectivity.

The culture of viewing women as a sex slave is not limited to Thailand. It is the general perception in the Far East.

Singapore even legalize them. I.e. nothing wrong with that.

Prostitution is legal in the UK, though soliciting is not.

yes if she would be like thatcher (like her or hate her, but no one every thought she is a silly girl) no one would look down on her. From the small to medium size companies in Bangkok a majority is controlled by women. It might have to do that the wealthy men are more in the club drinking and f......

A great deal of this bad language comes from the police. When they were firing tear gas and water cannons at the protestors, they had loud speakers and were shouting all kinds of bad things at the protestors ( much like during the Korean war ). Since Yingluck gave them an extra 'bonus' in the form of 3 million baht distributed between the police at government house and the bridge and since it was handed over personally that morning by Mr. Thoopkrajang with a message that is was a 'present from Yingluck', it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they also had instructions 'try and make them angry so they will do something silly and make themselves look bad, then we can legitimise violence against them'. Speculation I admit but PT are so low I put nothing past them....

Yes you are correct, it started when AV called YS names and since then it has spiralled out of control on both sides on social media. Unfortunately AV is the only politician that used these terms in public. He also did not retract his statement which has opened the door for both sides to abuse these terms on female supporters on both sides. The attitude is if my leader can use these terms why can't I and on the government side if you use it on my sides females I can use it on your female supporters. There are very little self control on social media at the moment and no objectivity.

It started way way before AV made his ill conceived joke about the Smart Women reality show. AV is by Thai standards very polite. Remember previous Thaksin proxy Samak asking female reporters about their sex lives. Or Yinglucks tourism minister blaming female tourists for being raped and the PM ignoring his remarks. A close examination of Yinglucks record would indicate that if AV was trying to imply that she is a bit dumb then he wasn't far from the truth. Hardly misogynist of him to make pertinent comments about his political opponents abilities.

Why would the Dems degrade women in general? Women are the backbone of the Thai economy,

are smarter than the men, and I suspect make up well over half of the crowd at these rallies.

The Dems are degrading Yingluck, do not translate that into an attack on women in general....

They simply mean that Thai politicians do not communicate in a professional manner.

It's their lack of understanding of the political process that drives them to accusing each other of corruption rather to present arguments of opposition that can be analyzed and responded to in a coherent manner.

It started way way before AV made his ill conceived joke about the Smart Women reality show. AV is by Thai standards very polite. Remember previous Thaksin proxy Samak asking female reporters about their sex lives. Or Yinglucks tourism minister blaming female tourists for being raped and the PM ignoring his remarks. A close examination of Yinglucks record would indicate that if AV was trying to imply that she is a bit dumb then he wasn't far from the truth. Hardly misogynist of him to make pertinent comments about his political opponents abilities.

In general AV is the politest of them all unfortunately he did call YS names that was utterly uncalled for, it was not only her gray matter but he called her worse than a whore. If he was a politician in any western country he would have been forced to appologised and in most countries would have been kicked out of politics. Khun Voranai in the Bangkok Post wrote an opinion piece about this, balanced reading. After this people on both sides became very degrading towards women on Thai social media.