Block Computer From Downloads - System Restore

george

I get so tired...

I have now reinstalled Windows XP Pro for the eighteenth time on a public computer that the kids are using. The problems is that they download programs, installs games and plays around with the settings, deletes system files etc etc all the time.

Is there some software out there that can create a very limited user account that:

- block *all* downloads and crap

- protect the system settings and system files to be touched

and an master account (for me) that:

- wipes and restores the whole harddisk and installs all the programs that shall be in there, word, excel, Norton Antivirus, Google Toolbar (to block pop-ups etc) etc etc with no need for me to spend alot of time doing all the tweaks and configurations.

If the kids computer f*cks up, I just give a command or two and the system restores itself.

I believe there must be similar software for internet cafes etc with similar problems. Please advise before I go mad!

Guest IT Manager

I heard that system restore was good as well, but I haven't actually used it.

Ghost is a good option but it isn't "one click" until it has been set up.

Do the machine as you want it, then do a ghost of it.

If it works correctly it does go back to what the ghost is but the first run, depending on the size/complexity of the hard disk, can take many hours.

IT

Hi george,

in general the system_restore works well, just set a restore_point when you installed a new application. If something goes wrong you are able to reset the system to an defined state.

But beside this I would recommend that you backup the system. Norton Ghost is the application of my choice. I use the remote_backup option, so I can backup the HDD or only some partions over the network. This procedure isn't "One Click" but "10 Click". If you want to clone your system (identical hardware required), you can setup a clone within a few minutes.

The problem of deleting systemfiles and installing software by unauthorized users you can manage in your systemsettings: add a new user with RESTRICTED ACCESS. Let this user automatically login after booting. Setup a strong Administratorpassword (only for your use).

Hope this will help a little.

Regards and greetings from sunny but cold cold Berlin!

exchange1973.

You shouldn't have to 'restore' or 'reinstall' everytime it ######s up. It would be easier to change the system slightly and make sure they cannot '###### it up'

First thing is to change their account from administrator to user, that way most programs will not be installable since 90% requires administrator priviledges (to change, go to control panel, user administration select their account and make sure they aren't administrator)

Secondly there are several ways to proteact your computer from all the spyware and such that the internet has to offer (remember, one of the definitions of spyware is that it installs itself covertly, that is without asking for permission or explaining what it does)

You can download and install Google toolbar (the english one) to block pop ups, it can be found at http://toolbar.google.com - it takes 5 minutes to install

You can also download Spybot search and destroy, which is a program that will help you clean your system of spyware and even has a imunizing feature, it can be found at http://security.kolla.de - once it's installed, be sure to seach for updates and download them, as the spyware information is frequently updated. Once the updates are installed, do a search of your system and remove all that it finds (be sure to allow it to run at startup if it asks) - After that you can select the immunize feature which will block some 500 pieces of spyware from being able to install itself covertly, you can also chose to block them silently, that way nobody will notice.

If you want even more protection, you can install adaware 6.0 which will detect spyware also, and works quite well with spybot, they each discover pretty much the same spyware, but sometimes one discovers more than the other, it can be found at: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Although these programs may seem daunting in the execution, they are quite easy to use.

I would recommend against using system restore for anything other than what it's meant for, to keep the system running.

You may also consider some rules for your children as to what they should and should not touch on the computer.. ie. the windows directory is OFF limits.

Good luck!

-Peter

I go through this every day cause my wife owns an Internet Café in Thailand and she comes to me daily crying for advice. :o In any case she had the same problems over and over and she is not that proficient. Of courses bringing someone in to do the work costs money and since I do not have a work permit, I stay away from the joint. However you solution for her and you is located at http://www.maxstore.com/product.asp?sku=2392250 and cost about 8,000 Baht. It is an external 120 GB Hard drive that will backup anything that you put in front of it.

Remember you can replace the hardware and programs but never the work. OH!!before I forget; do not leave that unit laying around. Make sure you store it is a physically different location from the computer.

Although system restore 'usually' works fine had it fail last week after a bad upgrade of Direct X files. It could not restore (tried a dozen restore points), internet access was gone, and CD was not recognized. Was able to get CD working by 'using last config that worked' during windows load but could never get the internet working again and Sp1 could not be reloaded so had to wipe drive and reinstall. I love computers tooo much! :o

LODUR Thanks for the tip on Ad-Ware. It is great. I have been using SpyBot but it was hijacked recently and loading bad critters. When you wanted to get rid of them the program referred you to another program that wanted $39.95 to help you with the problem. But they were riding on the name of SpyBot and Google even (I hope without intent) was sending customer their way that were actually looking for SpyBot but ending up getting another program site altogether. :o

I've been using Spybot S&D for quite awhile, no problems noted with it. The author of Spybot S&D has this to say on his website:

For the past two weeks, I got massive complaints from people who saw recommendations for Spybot-S&D on some TV show or heard about it on radio, and tried to go for it through the TV/radios website. Somehow, a bad link to Spybot-S&D is on its way and leading people to think that SpyHunter or SpyKiller would be the recommended Spybot-S&D. People downloading these two are forced to pay to remove spyware, and in the case of SpyKiller are even directed to us for support!

So my warning: please double-check what you've got before you pay anything!

Also, if you were mislead to SpyHunter or SpyKiller through Google AdWords, please contact Google. Google promised me some weeks ago they wouldn't do any more advertisement on my trademarked name "spybot", but I again receive complaints that they do, and this struggle with Google is going on for 4 months now.

Source: http://www.safer-networking.org/

There had been an earlier attempt by another outfit to market a product using a very similar name, but this was at least a year ago and I thought that had been resolved.

Jeepz

I use Partition Magic.

I keep a "hidden" good copy of the system and occassionally copy it over the top of the "active" partition.

If I want to install anything I do the following steps.

1) Copy hidden partition over the active.

2) Perform install.

3a) If everything is working OK and I want to keep the software, then copy the active partition over the hidden.

3b) If everything is not OK or you don't want to keep the software, then perform a fresh copy from the hidden.

Hi again,

popup_blocker, anti_spyware.......

There are good and bad apps.

To remind on the initial question:

Build an image of a clean disk, or clone the disk (for a simple exchange of HDDs).

Image or clone, whatever ..... if things go wrong you have a functional backup (Clone_disk or restore the Image).

Set proper permissions for your system. XP supports a detailed permissionset.

Use it, let not anyone work with Admin-permission. Use Users with RESTRICTED ACCESS. And set up a strong Admin-password.

Regards!

exchange1973

backup backup backup .. and ghost is far to be the best, Drive Image!

but it's my choice :D

anyway, under XP the system restore is a pain in the a## ...

space-waster ... and for quite no result if the system is too damaged.

use the ASR instead, Automatic System Recovery, need a floppy to boot and then follow the onscreen instructions ... even better than a backup, sometime ... :o

francois

ps; just need a (at least) 2gb partition to use ASR decently :D

Could a second harddisk be the best and cheapest solution? Just copy from the "original" harddisk to the production harddisk when somethings goes wrong and the system needs to be restored.

the best is two disks mounted in raid 1, mirroring and safe :D

francois

if motherboard doesn't support raid setup, buy an add-on card :o

performance in SATA in raid is nice :D

I have done this for years with all the windows OS's, in school. cafe and office environments.

I have found that for computers in this type of environment it is best just to restore from the ghost back-up without wasting any time trying to fix the problem.

Assuming that your hard disks are large enough - split the hard disk into two partitions,

Set up windows XP (or other OS) accounts for users that do not allow them to change settings etc - however - in practise there are always ways round this but make it as difficult as possible.

Once you are happy with the set-up use Ghost to copy the partition to an image file, store this image file on the second partition and hide it -chage the ttributes to +s+h - (you can use compression (if you are struggling for space - but bear in mind that the more compressed the image file is the longer it will take to decompress.

If your xp pro installation become corrupt - you can create either a bootable floppy or cd that will run ghost, and then use the partition to partition copy option to replace your corrupted partition.

In practise on a modern pc assuming a partition size of installed files etc of @ 12 GB, this will take about 20 minutes or so depending upon the compression used.

If you have multiple machines that have the same hardware configuration or you do not have enough space on your hard disk for an extra partition, Norton Ghost will allow you to write an image file of the partition (or entire drive) directly onto CD-R. It will span the image over as many CD's as is required.

This is slower -both when creating the initial back-up and also when restoring - but gives you the advantage of being able to store the image safely - in case the hard disk is trashed etc.

Also to be considered when using a single image to restore multiple pc's, is that before you reconnect them to your network - you will have to rename the specific pc - boot into safe mode (F5) (without networking) otherwise you will encounter problem with the same computer name being used etc.

Another option you mat want to consider is setting up ghost to recover over your network uising the boot option of your LAN Card (if you have the boot ROM option)

I have found the Norton Ghost image to be the quickest and most reliable of all the imaging software available.

Gorge

Wow how far from the question can we go with this thread with great Ideas. You asked two questions.

One: Is there a way to prevent the kids from downloading xxxxx etc…

Yes there are some simple ways. The best one has been mentioned change the user level to from Administrator to USER. The first poster gave a good explanation of this. It really does work.

Two: Sick or rebuilding it…

As said the system resort works really great. All you need to do is after the system is perfect. Then do a backup. Name it something and put in your Documents. The one other little trick is to right click on it and make it read only. Should be around 2 – 4 GB depending on what you install.

That way it can’t be changed from some process. Note: you may have to reverse this when you need to use it.

All my friends who are really prone to XXXXing up their systems. Have found this to be a great solution.

It’s simple and free and no real tweaking...

There are also programs like Win Tweet that you can change the policies in XP for the users. This can get a little strange and cause some issues if you are not used to it. Try the user level access then if you still have issues buzz me and I can give you some more details on setting up polices.

I get so tired...

I have now reinstalled Windows XP Pro for the eighteenth time on a public computer that the kids are using. The problems is that they download programs, installs games and plays around with the settings, deletes system files etc etc all the time.

Is there some software out there that can create a very limited user account that:

- block *all* downloads and crap

- protect the system settings and system files to be touched

and an master account (for me) that:

- wipes and restores the whole harddisk and installs all the programs that shall be in there, word, excel, Norton Antivirus, Google Toolbar (to block pop-ups etc) etc etc with no need for me to spend alot of time doing all the tweaks and configurations.

If the kids computer f*cks up, I just give a command or two and the system restores itself.

I believe there must be similar software for internet cafes etc with similar problems. Please advise before I go mad!

Let that be I give a command... Fix It.

You don't mention the kids ages so this may be totally silly thought. Teach the kids to load the software and some of their creative genes will be used up in the process.

I suspect that if they were saddled with the responsibility to make it work again that would take some of their desires away to download everything that looks intgeresting. I hate computer games, but am one of the rare ones for sure, but I think that if they owned the responsibility to make it work again they would be a bit more cautious.

A few days spent trying to get it back working would be good for them and you would be able to relax while they fight the problems that they created.

Good luck.