What's !AWESOME! about Bangkok?

bkksiam

1. the village quality of the old district of Bangkok. Bangkok has a very low road density (as anyone who has tried to get around can attest). Consequently there are vast areas far off from any main roads. And these areas were once villages, and still resemble villages. Go off the Charansanitwong and walk into any soi to the east and see the old villages of Bangkok.

2. the commuting long-tail boats of the old klongs in west Bangkok. These are never mentioned in the English language internet, but there are large numbers of them criss-crossing the klongs every morning and evening. In the evening, they zoom past in the almost pitch black doing tight turns from simply the drivers past memories of the location of twists in the canals. Mesmeric to the eye.

3. the open doors/ entire walls of the old town houses. These--again-- are mostly on the west side of the river. A magical atmosphere of intensely close community lives. SImilar to towns in southern italy, and probably what England community life was like 200 years ago.

4. intellectual development. This city is paradise for an intellectual. Any book can be photocopied for almost nothing. Anything can be found, always somewhere warm and dry to ponder and read and discuss. Every academic and thinker is accessible.

Nice post and yes, the Khlongs are a very underestimated way to travel.

In response to the OP: 1. OK. Agred. lots of pretty bums. 2. Could be anywhere in Thailand 3. could be any market in Thailand. 4. Could be anywhere in Thailand 5. Same on SRT anywhere in Thailand. 6. could be anywhere in Thailand. 7. Are you kidding. Try Chiang Rai. 8. OK. I buy that one! 9. Could be anywhere in Thailand. 10. Could be a number of places in Thailand. After living here for 3 months, after nearly 10 years in Chiang Mai, I would say that Bangkok is an overcrowded, under-planned, shithole. Whose few redeeming features are: decent ale and a great regional airport (Don Mueang)to get out and see the great cities of Asia, of which Bangkok is assuredly not one!!

Bangkok "a shit hole" why make it sound better than it is biggrin.png I had 8 years there, working, thankfully I escaped to Chiang Mai.

Even when you have day of you spend hours travelling a few kms to enjoy it. Air quality is horrendous all year round, prices of food ,drinks in restaurants going through the roof unlike the rest of Thailand where you can actually have a life. Sukumvit has become a haven for indian and Arab spivs selling drugs ,watches and suits, only the still beautiful girls ease the visual pain.

2 years ago it was voted one of the worlds most liveable cities by some obscure organisation ,how much did that cost ?

As for drugs, you left out the African contingent.

Hot chicks everywhere.

Although the longer you're here the less hot they get.

I've become really picky and far less needy for sex.

When's it's on a plate you seem to crave it less. Anyone agree?

Afraid not and it should be on the list of attractions.

You probably havn't been here long enough. Give it another 5 years.

Lived here much more than 5 years lol

The cheap and tasty food every 5 yards selling at all times of day.

The cheap booze and party options.

The amount of beautiful women everywhere (and no I'm not talking about the ones you find in Nana plaza)

The fact you can live in a nice apartment with a pool and gym, have a maid and the sorts of things that you couldn't afford back home for dirt cheap.

• Like 1

The fact that no-one ever uses the word !AWESOME! out of context?

Seems I have used up my daily quota of 'likes'.

Not sure if 'awesome' should be banned as it never seems to be used in the right context.

It most certainly should be!

It is usually the mark of the uneducated that hasn't been taught any other adjectives.

Not sure if 'awesome' should be banned as it never seems to be used in the right context.

It is usually the mark of the uneducated that hasn't been taught any other adjectives.

Sad that something is either 'awesome' or 'whatever'.

Have kept standards at home but a lot of blame on our education systems.

Tell that to Neil Pasricha who has sold millions of copies of his "book of awesome" and whose blog has nearly 60 million hits and won numerous awards -not to mention the calendars etc. ted talks and the fact that the book of awesome has been optioned for a movie. The "awesome" list has been done around the world.The point was to do one for Bangkok.

Edited by bkksiam

Tell that to Neil Pasricha who has sold millions of copies of his "book of awesome" and whose blog has nearly 60 million hits and won numerous awards -not to mention the calendars etc. ted talks and the fact that the book of awesome has been optioned for a movie. The "awesome" list has been done around the world.The point was to do one for Bangkok.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it any less jarring. !AWESOME! bleeeuch...