Help needed: two USB modems, want 3G data service

wpcoe

I started this journey with an old USB modem, a ZTE MF627:

• HSDPA/UMTS
  • 3G 850/2100MHz
  • TOT, TRUE, DTAC
  • 7.2 Mbps

I will refer to this as the slower ZTE #1 modem.

Wanting a new data SIM/plan, I went to the local 7-11 but they didn't have any TrueMove-H "net SIMs." What exactly is a "net SIM," anyway? Are all SIMs created equal? i.e. Can a regular phone SIM (calls/sms/mms/data) be used in a USB modem?

I ended up buying a new TrueMove-H-packaged USB modem, a ZTE MF667:
  • HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS 850/2100MHz
  • HSDPA data service of up to 21.6 Mbps
  • HSUPA data service of up to 5.76 Mbps

I will refer to this as the faster ZTE #2 modem.

The TrueMove-H SIM included with the faster ZTE #2 modem was preloaded with a postpaid 30-day 1GB data plan, after which the speed shapes to 128 Mbps. I used up the 1GB, so returned to 7-11 to buy a SIM for prepaid use. Forgetting that AIS doesn't operate on the 850 MHz band, I bought an AIS SIM and put B500 on the account.

Putting the AIS SIM in the faster ZTE #2 modem, the red light illuminates, indicating no data connection is available. Putting the AIS SIM in the slower ZTE #1 modem, the green light illuminates, indicating a data connection is available. Why can't the faster ZTE #2 modem make a connection, when the slower ZTE#1 modem can?

The modem software for the slower ZTE #1 modem indicates the connection is normally "3G" but occasionally "HSDPA" with the AIS SIM. What's the difference between "3G" and "HSDPA?" FYI, speed tests show the data transfer rate of ~1.5Mbps down/128Kbps up -- does that sound right for a strong 3G connection on a 7.2Mbps HSDPA modem?

As always, a little knowledge is dangerous, but that's what I have, so welcome any corrections in my understanding of how things are supposed to/do work. In addition to the mysteries of the hardware making connections, the DTAC, AIS and TrueMove-H web sites are breathtaking experiences unto themselves with easy-to-follow, logical links to find data plans, prices and information. </sarcasm off>

PS: I'm in Jomtien.

Yes, Yes.

Suspect the faster ZTE #2 modem is auto-configured for TrueMove H. It should support AIS on 2100 MHz if properly configured but not even sure why you felt the need to get a new SIM? You could have used the TrueMove-H SIM included with the faster ZTE #2 modem. Just add value cancel existing plan and resubscribe to a new plan.

Doesn't matter. Every UI has different criteria for displaying network status. Some devices spin up and down based on data throughput. So if idling, not using data it might show "3G", if using data it might show "H", "H+", "HSDPA", etc. USer doc. might have notes o what these displays mean for your particular model?

Data throughput will be a function of many, many, many different criteria.

Service providers here are guilty of offering too many options, no question. For the savvy consumer this may be a good thing, but if you are easily overwhelmed or confused it can be a dangerous and frustrating thing.

I still can't figure out why you bought a new aircard, when you set out to buy a new SIM, when you didn't even need a new SIM?

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Ah, so True might have set the firmware to only connect to their own network. Darn. I was thinking I might go with a TOT "Storm" package with truly unlimited 30-day use at 2Mbps.

Why I ended up with the new aircard: On my first visit, when they said they had no "net Sims" for TrueMove-H, they showed me the new aircard for B990 which included a B299 package, so basically the new modem was about B700 and supported 3x faster speeds. This was after midnight at the 7-11, and I forgot to ask about DTAC net SIMs.

I ran out of the 1GB plan around midnight the next night. To change plans on my TrueMove-H SIM would require a daytime visit to a True shop, according to the True telephone customer service rep. Wanting to continue using 3G speed in the middle of the night -- I was engrossed in some Brian Greene videos on String Theory -- I just opted to get a prepaid SIM and swap out the postpaid SIM. Again, they had no TrueMove-H net SIMs, and forgetting that AIS might be incompatible, I got the AIS SIM.

To repeat some of my earlier questions: Are all SIMs created equal? i.e. Can a regular phone SIM (calls/sms/mms/data) be used in a USB modem? Could I have used a TrueMove-H non-"net SIM" in the aircard?

I just re-read your last question: "I still can't figure out why you bought a new aircard, when you set out to buy a new SIM, when you didn't even need a new SIM?" I *did* need a new SIM when I first set out. The old "Mojo 3g" (TOT reseller) SIM that was in the aircard from years ago did not get a signal. i.e. Red light on modem. I had no working SIM, hence my first midnight raid at the 7-11.

Also, is a 1.5Mbps download speed reasonable on a 7.2Mbps aircard? I was hoping for higher.

Ah, so True might have set the firmware to only connect to their own network.

No. Just pre-configured the APN, but no experience with these branded products so who knows for sure? No need to buy these branded/promotions/subsidized products when there are so many standard unlocked version available.

To repeat some of my earlier questions: Are all SIMs created equal? i.e. Can a regular phone SIM (calls/sms/mms/data) be used in a USB modem? Could I have used a TrueMove-H non-"net SIM" in the aircard?

To repeat questions answered : Yes. Yes.rolleyes.gif

is a 1.5Mbps download speed reasonable on a 7.2Mbps aircard?

Yes.

I *did* need a new SIM when I first set out. The old "Mojo 3g" (TOT reseller) SIM that was in the aircard from years ago did not get a signal.

Honestly I didn't read your message that carefully as it was way too long-winded, but didn't see a mention of a MoJo SIM?

Could be, though SmartBro only have an MF626 listed on their website.

It looks as if they have customised the modems somehow; installing another firmware or Dashboard. Not entirely clear as I don't read Thai script.

If it is unlocked you should be able to install the Telstra M03 software...but none of this is particularly important now.

The AIS SIM may be connecting to AIS 2100MHz via the slow modem'. If it has the 'JOIN AIR' connection manager installed, it may attempt to choose the APN automatically, but fail.

You may need to add the AIS APN profile manually. Think you click on the 'cog' in order to do so and enter the details given to you by AIS.

For it to work with the new modem, you may have to do the same, but I don't know if it is locked or not.

Sorry that I can't help further, but I have a flight to catch. When I settle in in a day or two, I should be able to look a little more closely.

I assumed I was connecting via 2100MHz, because I thought the ZTE MF627 was only 850MHz/2100MHz capable and AIS didn't use 850MHz.

The modem software that auto-installs from the ZTE MF627 is AIS-branded. I don't think it is the "JOIN AIR" software. Going to Help > About AIS Super 3G(A): PC Software Version: PCW_AISTHAV1.0.0806

Under Tools > Network Settings, there are three choices for Band Settings: 3G 900M, 3G 2100M, and 3G 900M + 3G2100M. 3G 900M is pre-selected but the entire Network Settings window is greyed out -- no way to change the pre-selected settings. Quite strange. Band Settings locked in at 900MHz, when device specs show it's only 850Mhz capable?

post-33251-0-15126100-1387314896_thumb.g

PS: The sticker on the aircard with a bar code and the IMEI number, says MF627

I'm completely lost on all your SIMs and modems, but think the new AIS SIM would work fine in the the slower ZTE #1 modem, as I assume from your tale that it worked acceptably with the MoJo sim? And it should work with a TOT 3G SIM; you mention the "Perfect Storm" post-paid plan is under consideration.

In that AIS UI you should may be able to create a New Manual configuration or profile, which would give you access to those settings required for just about any SIM/service provider.

In theory, if you purchased the MF627(C?) from Truemove H then one hopes it would support both 850 MHz and 2100 MHz 3G.

It sounds like the AIS SIM is working in the slower ZTE #1 modem with 2100 MHz 3G, as you mention "1.7 Mbps", so also assume you subscribed to some sort of "unlimited" mobile data plan?

What are your goals going forward?

I have two aircards:

• a faster one = MF667, branded by TrueMove-H
  • a slower (older) one: MF627(C?), branded by SmartBro

I have two SIMs:

• TrueMove-H with a postpaid 1GB plan, already shaped to 128Kbps
  • AIS prepaid, still within its 1GB high-speed

I would like to use the faster aircard, period, but it apparently only works on TrueMove-H.

The AIS SIM only works in the slower aircard, so I am currently using the slower aircard. I will use the AIS SIM in the slower modem (at up-to-1.5Mbps speed) until it shapes down (to 128Kbps?)

I foresee relying on 3G service as a frequent backup for my home internet access. (If you can't follow *this* thread, please don't ask the reason why.) I thought a good compromise would be the TOT Perfect Storm, truly unlimited 2Mbps plan. Easier than repeatedly canceling plans when they reach FUP limits and buying a new plan.

If I go the TOT Perfect Storm route, I'd "like" to use the faster aircard, since 2Mbps would be nicer (33% faster) than the up-to-1.5Mbps that I get with the slower aircard.

Since I have no assurance the TOT SIM will work in the faster aircard, I will also consider relying on TrueMove-H plans that I keep canceling/subscribing to once they reach their FUP limits.

I was able to create a new network profile for AIS for the faster aircard..

However, with the AIS SIM in the faster aircard, I never get a green light indicating a 3G connection is available, and a pop-up box appears saying "SIM/USIM is invalid,sofware will quit." I don't think it ever gets as far as considering a network profile.

FWIW, on the slower aircard, even if I create a new network profile, all the options on the Network Settings are greyed out, identical to the screenshot posted above.

Seems you have been abandoned. smile.png Never mind, I will help you. You may need either to 'unlock' the new Aircard for it to work with another Network or use another Connection Manager with it.

So we should check firstly if it is 'locked' or 'unlocked'. So inserted the AIS SIM in the TrueMove Aircard and with the modem plugged in, download and run the DC Unlocker Client

You are looking for a report along the lines of this:

selection :

manufacturer - ZTE modems

model - Auto detect (recommended)

Found modem : MF667

Model : ZTE MF667

IMEI : 860014014381560

Firmware : BD_SMTVOMF667V1.0.0B01

Compile date / time : Oct 23 2012 10:15:11

Chipset : Qualcomm MSM8200A

NAND Flash : HYNIX_HY27SF081G2A

SIM Lock status : Locked (Card Lock)

Allow me to see your result.

AFAIK the MF627 is a 3,6 MBit/s down, 384 kbps up USB modem. I have two of them.

Might be an idea to use the DC Unlocker software to identify the modem in the same way as the 'new' modem and to report back.

We can install a new Firmware/Dashboard/Connection Manager to the old USB modem in order to unlock more options, once the modem has been correctly identified.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Thanks!

The link you posted led to a "File not found" error, but I did a search on their download page for "MF667" and found dc-unlocker_client-1.00.0913.exe:

post-33251-0-60598800-1387895195_thumb.g

But after inserting the TrueMove-branded MF667 with the AIS SIM and starting the DC Unlocker Client, I am greeted with: "The instruction at 0x10644c7c referenced memory at 0x00000006. The memory could not be read."

(FWIW, I got the same error with that aircard with the TrueMove SIM in it, and with the MF627 with the AIS SIM in it.)

I suspect that file only works for a non-branded MF667, no?

Searching the DC Unlocker page for "MF627" all I found was a listing for a customized Philippines ZE627, so I thought "Maybe....?":

post-33251-0-28602400-1387895088_thumb.g

But, after uninstalling the first DC Unlocker version and installing this second one, nothing happens when running the client with (or without) the ZTE MF627(C?) modem inserted.

Oh, well. It seemed promising!

[edited to correct wording of the error message]

Edited by wpcoe

You could have simply chosen the 'Go back' ink on the page which would have led you to dc-unlocker_client-1.00.1074, the latest version. No need for over-complicated searches.

Anyway, it's here

Of course you'll need to install DC Unlocker before inserting the modem and running the program.

Well, dang. I had thought that there were multiple versions of the unlocker client for specific devices, but NOW I get that there is ONE unlocker client, and that what I was looking at was a changelog listing which revisions added which device. Khor tot. wai2.gif

With the AIS SIM in the TrueMove-H aircard:

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1074

Detecting modem :

selection :

Found Applications port COM5
Found Diagnostics port COM3

Found modem : MF190
Model : ZTE MF190
IMEI : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Firmware : BD_MF667V1.0.3B04
Compile date / time : Aug 19 2013 20:45:24
Chipset : Qualcomm MSM8200A
NAND Flash : HYNIX_HY27SF081G2A
Voice feature : unknown(read failed)
SIM Lock status : Locked (Card Lock)

With the TrueMove-H SIM in the Smart Bro aircard:

DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1074

Detecting modem :

selection :

Found Applications port COM8
Found Diagnostics port COM7

Found modem : MF627
Model : ZTE MF627
IMEI : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Firmware : BD_3GHAP673A4V1.0.0B02
Compile date / time : Jan 13 2009 16:21:01
Chipset : Qualcomm MSM6246
NAND Flash : HYNIX_HYCOSEHOMF3P
Voice feature : unknown(read failed)
SIM Lock status : unlocked

I censored out the IMEI numbers -- not sure if that would have been a risk to display publicly?

The software identifies the TrueMove-H aircard as "MF190", but the modem itself (and the box it came in) clearly identify it as MF667:

post-33251-0-68378700-1387962066_thumb.j

Both the AIS and TrueMove-H SIMs already work in the Smart Bro aircard, but if we can connect faster than 1.5Mbps, that would be a bonus. However, a bigger bonus would be to unlock the TrueMove-H aircard so that it could use TOT or AIS SIMs.

Thanks, yet again.

However, everything is on hold temporarily. Last night, the FUP limit of the AIS data plan kicked in, so rather than buy another plan for that, I bought a new prepaid True SIM to replace the postpaid True SIM.

With the new True SIM in the True aircard, all I could get was EDGE, though True had a strong 3G signal on my iPhone sitting right beside. Called True customer service and after a battery of tests, they advised me the aircard was faulty and to take it to a True office for replacement.

With my own experiments, using the new True SIM (with a new 3GB FUP plan):

• in the True aircard, only get an EDGE connection & selecting manual network selection did not display True 3G as an available network
  • in the Smart Bro aircard, it makes a True 3G connection
  • in my iPhone, it makes a True 3G connection

I *used to* get 3G connections in the True aircard, but now even with the old True SIM in the aircard, it only makes an EDGE connection.

Once I get to a True shop (hopefully tomorrow) I'll resume this adventure.

After reading the last two links you just posted, I will comment that I have *occasionally* seen the "Please enter the unlock code" prompt from the modem software with the AIS SIM in the True aircard, but not always.

For now, I'm using the new True SIM in the Smart Bro aircard, barreling along at blazing >1Mbps 3G speed.

Edited by wpcoe

Update: Went to True office in Big-C Pattaya (Sukhumvit) and was advised it was a "small True shop" and didn't have a computer to verify if the aircard worked or not. Need to go to "big True shop."

Went to "big True shop" and they never even bothered to check if it was working, so not sure why lack of computer in "small True shop" was relevant.

They only exchange an aircard if within seven days of purchase. I was on day #13, so the only option was to have then send it in for repair in Bangkok. It would take "at least two to three weeks." Guess they found something even slower than Thai Post, who can get a package to Bangkok from Pattaya within 24 hours. Or, there is such an enormous amount of defective aircards that there is a several-day backlog?

Anyway, the condo WiFi has been "up" more than 50% of the time since Friday, so I just put the aircards in a drawer.

Later on, I will attempt to unlock the True aircard just for the experience.

Don't fear, I won't be back with any more posts that are too long to read for the sound-bite generation.

Personally I would just get a real, unlocked, un-branded, un-subsidized USB aircard - you can get a decent 7.2 Mbps/5.6 Mbps model for 990 baht which supports 850/2100 MHz, then you can use it with any SIM. But that's me, I like simple, easy, quick, universal solutions.

FYI, I didn't know this but, it is not legal to sell carrier-locked subsidized phones here (in Thailand), but apparently there is no restriction on data-only devices.

Obviously the OP didn't know. Shouldn't cost anything to unlock it anyway. I've certainly never knowingly purchased an unlocked, un-branded, un-subsidized USB aircard.

Did purchase one, but it was by accident, as they gave me a 1600 baht discount on a 1960 baht package. :)

In addition the OP has a 21 Mbps model for less than the price of an 'unlocked and unbranded' 7.2 Mbps one.

Just a shame that it appears faulty.