Former top military brass calls PM to resign, back reform

Lite Beer

And here we go. Now can understand more of who is backing Super Suthep... No wonder!

I think its very clear where this comes from - and I don't think its necessarily support for Suthep, rather its anti - Thaksin. Like the present military senior ranks they were all appointed by the same person.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite interesting..... the serving 'top brass' feels quite rightly that it cannot come out and overtly support either one facation or the other, but there is nothing to stop retired 'top brass' from doing so. No-one should be naive enough to believe that there is no serious linkage between those serving and those retired. I reckn the writing is on the wall for the Sinawatras.

No, it means nothing. The REAL top brass has spoken. They will not let this descend into bloodshed and chaos, nor will they prejudice the international relationships of the country to satisfy the old guard's desires. Let the old boys have their five minutes back in the spotlight, sure...but that's as far as it will go

You reckon?

I think that is just you and your wishful thinking. Everyone on here knows your opinions, and I didn't really have to read your post to know what it was going to say and I was dead right. You have become very predictable, and quite frankly, predictable posting on any forum means 'boring!'.

If you think for a second that any of the current top brass give so much as a flying f*** for international relationships, you harbour another massive error of judgement.

The end is coming very soon, and it will just take one more spark of violent confrontation between protesters and whoever, and that will be it.

summary: disagreeing with anything you believe is boring, predictable, wrong. Yes, Suthep is your guy...

Actually its the other way around, you're the one who is boring, predictable and wrong. No wonder you like T

Well done! There should be reform in this country. But knowing the Shinwatras, they will do anything to cling onto power. Even if it means tearing this country apart.

No, let retired military top 'advice' about reforms, that is the way to go. They do not cling to power, do they (after 10-s of military coups)??

• Like 1

POLITICS
Defence perm sec dismisses call from retired top brass

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The permanent secretary for Defence appreciates the concern of a former Army chief, a former Navy chief and a former Air Force chief on the current situation but says that the military will comply with the charter and support the election, the Defence Ministry spokesman said Monday.

Col Thanathip Sawangsaeng, the spokesman, said Gen Nipat Thonglek, the permanent secretary for Defence, had received a letter signed by former Army chief Gen Wimol Wongwanit, former Air Force chief ACM Gun Pimarnthip and former Navy chief Adm Wichet Karunyawanit.

The three called on the caretaker government to resign and all sides to join the country's reform before an election.

They also called on the military to announce that they would stand by the people. The three, who also claimed to represent other retired military officers, said the armed forces could support the people without staging a coup.

But the spokesman quoted the permanent secretary as saying that the Defence Ministry would defend the Constitution and all operations and actions would comply with the charter.

Nipat was also quoted as saying that the military would be ready to dispatch troops to support the holding of the election holding if requested by the Election Commission.

Thanatip said Nipat also joined the forum held by the government on Sunday and pledged that the military would support a clean and fair election and would base all its actions on the charter's provisions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-16

And here we go. Now can understand more of who is backing Super Suthep... No wonder!

I think its very clear where this comes from - and I don't think its necessarily support for Suthep, rather its anti - Thaksin. Like the present military senior ranks they were all appointed by the same person.

So because they were appointed by Anand over 20 years ago, they remain incapable of independent thought about what is good for their country?

Just shows Suthep is of the 'past', just a puppet of the Amart. The retired 'Top Brass' nostalgically and longingly look back at the 'good old days' of the coups

*sighing* as they drink their bedtime cocoa hoping for one last Hurrah! before they fly upon the wings of angels to Nirvana bah.gif

As opposed to being a puppet to a criminal on the run.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Quite interesting..... the serving 'top brass' feels quite rightly that it cannot come out and overtly support either one facation or the other, but there is nothing to stop retired 'top brass' from doing so. No-one should be naive enough to believe that there is no serious linkage between those serving and those retired. I reckn the writing is on the wall for the Sinawatras.

No, it means nothing. The REAL top brass has spoken. They will not let this descend into bloodshed and chaos, nor will they prejudice the international relationships of the country to satisfy the old guard's desires. Let the old boys have their five minutes back in the spotlight, sure...but that's as far as it will go

"No, it means nothing".

Clearly you know little of Thai politics.

• Like 1

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/20951.html

As in the Game of Chess: "CHECK"

Suthep is the Public Mouthpiece. Playing a word game against the current Government's Position.

The more outrageous the Demands, The more it Forces the Military's Hands to Act Sooner than Later.

The End Result would be nearly the same as what Suthep is Suggesting. Difference would be that If the Military did step in, then the Military would have to re-establish a Government. Same as in previous Military Takeovers.

The Caretaker Government is Hoping to hold out with public support for the Elections and Their Grass Roots Support.

The next Saga of this Drama is still to be determined.

But anyone living her long enough knows how it wil probably play out.

It is the Thai way of Politics. Can't truely evaluate Thailand or it's Politics without being a Thai.

Unknown for now who will be able to declare "Check Mate".

• Like 1

i am reading all these replies and what I see is that I guess in your country there is NO CORRUPTION Right??????? You all better wake up every country in the world has corrupt politicians that all they wants is power and money. So what is the difference here in Thailand? NO DIFFERENCE.

Yes, there's corruption then there's corruption on a scale so large people can't ignore it. PTP kind of corruption is costing this country trillions of baht and that kind of money is money this country can't afford to lose. I read about people in this present government crying and moaning about lost revenue from the tourists while they ignore the billions of baht lost because the rice pledging corruption scheme and then there's also the 2 trillion baht infrastructure bill. Yeah that's all about building up this country!

This has been known for sometime. It is why I have written that this is not about politics.

When you think of wealth in Thailand, it isn't in the military. The military is where the "high So's" want to keep their sons out of.

Clearly, there are a lot more in support than just these few.

Glad to see a poster who knows whats going on and why and also why it has to be now...shame on some of the others. This rotten apple Suthep is having the layers peeled away and now we see the 'enforcers using the .......... to give validation to their threats, We really need to expose the backers and their motives...oops sorry I know why

Well, sure the "retired"s will have a voice for Suthep, but they are not appointed besides influent.

And finally there is no speculations about who was behind the "Fool" and why he continued to push on.

We all knew he had an important back up and now we know who are them (or at least we know some of them).

Next move to all the appointed authorities.

Like a chess game, but with well more important and maybe tragic consequences.

@backtonormal, why to put shame on some posters? We all can have ideas... There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Well, sure the "retired"s will have a voice for Suthep, but they are not appointed besides influent.

And finally there is no speculations about who was behind the "Fool" and why he continued to push on.

We all knew he had an important back up and now we know who are them (or at least we know some of them).

Next move to all the appointed authorities.

Like a chess game, but with well more important and maybe tragic consequences.

@backtonormal, why to put shame on some posters? We all can have ideas... There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Apologies for my unintended insult. To those who are trying to understand Thailand...sorry. To those with agendas....couldn't care

• Like 1

..we are on the side of the people

does Anupong refer to the 15,000,000 PTP voters or the 91 PTP supporters who were murdered on his watch. Care for the people...my tradesmans entrance

Actually Anupong's name isn't anywhere on that communique. It comes from four different and rather more obscure retired generals.

• Like 1

The army should be with the people and disregard the majority voters that voted Yingluck and her coalition in.

Nice politics the army is playing.

Before Yinglucks resigns the caretaker government should be announced including all 400 people's that Suthep wants to have installed as the Politburo.

• Like 2

Yet again as I have stated previously'' the end game is not yet over.'' Yet another set of player managers it would seem is joining the team in this current game.

Whether we like it or not it seems as if the idea of a group of non elected individuals from assorted backgrounds to reform the current system politically and constitutionally might well be the only peaceful way out of the current impasse.

The alternatives are what ? A politically and socially divided society, a military coup, a despotic dictatorship of any political hue none of the aforementioned situations bodes well for Thailand nor its peoples

A ban on politicians of all parties for a two year period and a clean up of the corrupt practices may well be dramatic but as a spring cleaning exercise it is indeed well overdue.the concept of a Thailand run by a National Government without any political bias seems increasingly more viable if we are to see peace.

As a condition of a National Government none of the current politicians should be involved in the administration whether they be saint or sinner in whosoever eyes..

I suggest we all let our wives run the show as they ( the wives) are always rightwai2.gif . Well in our house that's the case.cheesy.gif

I don't get it. Last time there was a coup, didn't the military run the show for about a year, while extensive discussion and idea sharing took place on political reform and a new constitution. That was a few short years ago, so how come there is a need to go through the whole thing again? The vested interests that existed back then, still exist now, the same intellectuals that existed then, still exist now. So apart from inserting some kind of clause in the constitution that says anyone related to, aligned with, employed by, associated with in any way shape or form, or had any contact whatsoever with a certain member of the Shinawatra family, shall be excluded from participating in any political activity, what else do they expect to change?

Guess that one change will be enough for some.

• Like 1