7/11 vegetarian food with soy meat, where else to buy fake meat ?

questionsreplies

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt mind the 7/11 vegetarian meals over the vegetarian period this year, wife gets simialr from Tesco and Big C, lots of it around when you go looking(as long as you can read thai or have a translatorsmile.png ) Should add that it is flavoured all tofu, bloody nice actually

Edited by seajae

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a small grocery store at Baan Ari, near the Ari BTS station. Exit the BTS station on the west side of Phahonyothin Rd. and walk south, past the Mercedes dealership. The sign might say Banana Court or Banana Family Park. There's also an all vegetarian food court there.

If you're interested in eating vegetarian, check out www.happycow.net. There you'll find a complete list of all the vegetarian and vegan restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

• Like 1

My goodness, every western supermarket in Chiang Mai has a section with various types of tofu next to the produce area. Every larger Thai fresh produce market has a vender selling several types of tofu. I had no idea there were so many types of tofu or so many ways to cook it until I enrolled in a one-day Thai cooling school at a Chiang Mai vegetarian Thai restaurant mainly because I liked the owner, not because we're vegetarians. I learned so much about the different types of tofu and ways to prepare tofu dishes. I use it 3 - 4 times weekly now, often adding it to dishes with small amounts of meat. The meat just serves as flavor, much like a spice.

Edited by NancyL

I thought fake meat (stuff made to look/taste actually similar to meat) in Asia was mostly based on WHEAT GLUTEN not soy. Tofu is a thing in itself and a wonderful thing. I would be so HAPPY to find Indonesian tempeh for sale here, but no luck.

post-37101-0-75882300-1389888472_thumb.j

I would be so HAPPY to find Indonesian tempeh for sale here, but no luck.

Someone is making it in Chiang Mai and a number of restaurants have it. I don't see why some people like it so much. I prefer tofu, but, apparently tempeh is healthier.

Now that you mention it tofu is the classic neutral food -- you can spice it up anyway you like. Tempeh actually tastes like something so fewer ways to use it.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To buy dish in TH at 7/11 ???

My God my Buddha.

They sale every BST under CP brand name.

Congratulation for your high active fantasy.

Just leave the 7 and look around outside! You will find every dishes which you miss, vegetarian too.

Ye, Ye, there are not microwave, but they give you fresh and hot mails.

P.S. around every October there is a 10 day vegetarian festival in Thailand, veggie foods become widely available in street stalls and the supermarkets sell a much wider variety of meat substitutes. So when that time comes around, stock up.

• Like 1

Thank you, i found protein kaset, but are you sure that they are bad? fat and msg?

I think only the "J festival type" ready-meal are not very healthy.

A meal made from raw protein kaset will be as good/ bad as you make.

Thank you, i found protein kaset, but are you sure that they are bad? fat and msg?

Protein kaset is not at all bad. He was referring to the flavored meat substitutes that are canned or frozen, these have had fat and chemicals added to try to produce a meat taste.

The protein kaset is fine.

Here is the nutrition summery for Ground Beef

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/ground-beef-with-textured-vegetable-protein-cooked

Basically the main ingredient over half of the product is FAT 56%, but not just normal fat, processed fat that is going to be really hard to digest and be clogging your arteries just like meat eaters.

Secondly you have 40% protein but your body only needs 8 to 12% so your kidneys are going to work extra to get rid of it.

Nutrition summary:

Calories
Fat
4.19g
Carbs
0.75g
Protein
6.72g

There are 69 calories in 1 ounce of cooked Ground Beef with Vegetable Protein. Calorie breakdown: 56% fat, 4% carbs, 40% protein.

TVP or kaset is produced by thermoplastic extrusion of defatted soy protein flour with a protein content of 50%.

What this means is that when proteins in our foods are subjected to high temperatures, whether it be through simple cooking or industrial heating, they are prone to losing the original shape and function they had.

Soybeans are routinely processed with hexane (a petroleum chemical), in order to convert them into TVP. Various amounts of hexane are regularly found in processed soy food products. To elaborate further, according to a report from the Cornucopia Institute:Hexane is a byproduct of gasoline refining. Soybean processors use it as a solvent—a cheap and efficient way of extracting oil from soybeans, a necessary step to making most conventional soy oil and protein ingredients. Whole soybeans are literally bathed in hexane to separate the soybeans’ oil from protein

http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/what-you-need-to-know-before-you-eat-textured-vegetable-protein-tvp

Edited by Kitsune

Here is the nutrition summery for Ground Beef

[...]

TVP or kaset is produced by thermoplastic extrusion of defatted soy protein flour with a protein content of 50%.

[...]

Thanks for this, but what are you saying here?

What is the connection between beef and defatted soy protein flour?