Car Door Lock Mechanism Problem

My getting on in years CRV Is having a problem with its door lock mechanism. When the key is inserted and turned, it doesn't catch (or whatever it's supposed to catch is loose or broken) so that the lick or cylinder doesn't turn-over or engage and unlock the door. I have felfmthismfroblemmcoming on for sme time as for 6 mos or so, I've had to jiggle the key. Bit often to find/engage whatever pin mechanism is in there to unlock the door. Well, this morning, it seems to have finally given up for good as no amount of key jiggling would open the door. Only the drivers door is affected so its specific to that mechanism and not a system problem.

My question is in a case like this, is it better to take the car to a car repair/service center or call a locksmith?

Take the car to a car repair/service centre not a locksmith,

most likely will need to order and replace a broken part so i would

take it to a Honda dealer.

Try a local accessory shop that sell's center lock systems they normally have the part for 1/2 the price of Honda.

Take the car to a car repair/service centre not a locksmith,

most likely will need to order and replace a broken part so i would

take it to a Honda dealer.

Try a local accessory shop that sell's center lock systems they normally have the part for 1/2 the price of Honda.

Depends what is broken, and whether the part is unique to Honda or not,

and until someone removes the door panel to see what the problem is.

Also whether the OP wants genuine or after market components fitted to his car.

Have you got an unused spare key? Your key may be worn down and an unused one may just have that little extra metal in the teeth to work the lock.

Or get a new key cut, again the teeth may just be that little bigger with sharp edges to work the lock.

smile.png

Have you got an unused spare key? Your key may be worn down and an unused one may just have that little extra metal in the teeth to work the lock.

Or get a new key cut, again the teeth may just be that little bigger with sharp edges to work the lock.

smile.png

Thought of that and so used my master key that I keep in the safe to cut the key I use daily and same same...so it doesn't appear to be a worn down key problem.

smile.png

Thought of that and so used my master key that I keep in the safe to cut the key I use daily and same same...so it doesn't appear to be a worn down key problem.

Oh! well worth a try rolleyes.gif

Looks like you have to get to the lock. sad.png