Speaking English: Thailand vs Philippines

pinkpanther99

After reading this article yesterday about Thailand lagging behind in its English levels, it seems that these kind of stories are in the news every couple of weeks or so.

It got me thinking. What does Thailand do so differently or so much worse than say the Philippines when it comes to teaching, learning and speaking English? There are plenty of good Filipino English speakers teaching English in Thailand why doesn't Thailand follow the Philippines lead?

I've never been to the Philippines but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has taught English over there and in Thailand and share their experiences of how the two countries differ in their approach to studying and speaking English.

Is it that the Philippines set more budget aside for this part of education? Do they hire better/more qualified foreign teachers? Does the Philippines pay better wages? Is the education system more professional and less corrupt than in Thailand? I'm just thinking out loud (so to speak) but there must be some reason for it?

I don't want this to turn into a Thai bashing session but would rather hope to have an interesting debate.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Panther sir one reason may be, go to google and type, "List of countries where English is an official language." Thailand is not on there, I don't think. Philippines is on there I think, Check it out,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_English_is_an_official_language

If you really didn't now the Philippines was a US colony and had thousands of Americans stationed at naval bases in the country for years after that.

The Philippines fought on our side during WWII and the Thais on the other side.smile.png

ok ok pedant anonymous member here,

but Philipines was colonised that is why they are catholic , or some branch of Christian and all speak bludy good English

I've just come back from a trip to Bali,Indonesia and guess what?Everyone speaks perfect English there as well,at least as good as the Philippines if not better without the silly accent!

The truth is it's just not cool or "Gangsta" in Thailand to speak English and that suits the governments just fine,keep 'em stupid,uneducated and therefore much easier to manipulate!sad.png

What has not speaking English to do with being stupid and uneducated? Silly accent? Oh God we need a thread on that. biggrin.png We could have a poll what is the most difficult accent to understand as opposed to the silliest accent.

• Like 2

other than all the reasons stated so far from this stupid question.. I just wanted to add out of my frustration just an hour or so ago at lunch. the bloody Thais sometimes are just so scared to face a foreigner they dont try comunicate at all. I had a waitress walk away from me 3 or 4 times everytime I was about to open my mouth to order and I was going to speak Thai. which I can do moderately well, certainly when ordering my lunch, only to have a note pad thrust at me 10 minute later. I only wanted Paad Thai <deleted> .

Mr Panther sir one reason may be, go to google and type, "List of countries where English is an official language." Thailand is not on there, I don't think. Philippines is on there I think, Check it out,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_English_is_an_official_language

If you really didn't now the Philippines was a US colony and had thousands of Americans stationed at naval bases in the country for years after that.

The Philippines fought on our side during WWII and the Thais on the other side.smile.png

ok ok pedant anonymous member here,

but Philipines was colonised that is why they are catholic , or some branch of Christian and all speak bludy good English

Yeah, it was a Spanish colony before. Then the US took it over. I have met some people from there who speak Spanish (along with English and Tagalog). They have a saying about it...don't remember. Ask a Filipino and they will probably know it. Several have told it to me and laughed.

Not long ago, my daughter, who is in the final year before university. She came home, and explained, that now she had a good English teacher .. because that person could also speak the language ... English ...

I guess the problem in Thailand ... No one speaks English, but know a lot of grammar ..

We had a parents meeting not long ago. On this metting I took the liberty to ask, why all this grammar, and no spoken english language ..

The former teacher said that the importance of grammar, that was greater than to speak the language English.

I took the liberty to ask her, how she had learned herThai language .. Did she Learned gramma first, before she learned the speakeing language ..

There was silence from all the parents who attended the meeting ...

wrong

• Like 1

It is not just The Philippines that is more proficient at speaking English. I was in SIem Reap last week and the Camobdians speak much better Enlgish than Thailand. I know there are many more NGO's and foreign volunteers in Cambodia per capita than in Thailand and believe that the lack of enough native speakers in Thailand along with the poor education system keep Thailand lacking in so many ways.

• Like 1

I've just come back from a trip to Bali,Indonesia and guess what?Everyone speaks perfect English there as well,at least as good as the Philippines if not better without the silly accent!

The truth is it's just not cool or "Gangsta" in Thailand to speak English and that suits the governments just fine,keep 'em stupid,uneducated and therefore much easier to manipulate!sad.png

Sorry, you are so wrong about it not being "cool" to speak English in Thailand. All you need to do is frequent the places that the "landed gentry" and "money come lately" groups hang out and you will find them speaking English to each other in the restaurants etc to show their "status". Sadly, it has not perculated that far down the the social ladder.

"

"Thailand vs Philippines?"

I asked my self the same many time, also asked Thai people, why is Thai people so bad in English, even those with university education? There's many answers, but school systems and the facts that most of other countries speaks native and English, but in Thailand they speak Thai-Thai and English-Thai, not Thai-English (if you understand:)

I had the pleasure to work in both Thailand and the Philippines last six years. In Thailand very few farangs speak Thai-Thai, some are good in English-Thai (bom bom, teerak, Sa bai dee mai, Sawasdee ............. and so on:) I smile every time I ask a shop assistant if they have something in stock: "do you have battery for this ....." and she/he look at me and don't know what I mean. Asking again, do you have ..... So then I say: You don't have this? Still no answer. Then I turn it around and say: "no have ....?", then she/he smile and say: NO HAVE :) Kind of cute:)

In the Philippines I love to work and stay mostly because there they speak/read/write English better than UK and US people - If you don't believe, read this and you also find much more stuff confirming this: http://ph.news.yahoo.com/ph--world-s-best-country-in-business-english.html

Girls and beaches - Same same, but different

leif

• Like 1

wrong

Please elaborate. It may help me understand your one word response.

There are 171 languages in the Philippines. People need a lingua franca. It used to be Spanish, now it's English. Thailand already has its own lingua franca. It's called Thai. India, and several African countries, also use a lingua franca for similar reasons to the Philippines; it may be English but could be French or Portuguese, for example, or a pidgin.

Tell me the differences in languages - Thai and English - don't make acquisition more difficult, both ways. Not saying it's the only reason, but it's a major impediment. Pinoy dialects use most of the alphabet that English uses and pronunciation is closely consistent. Many English, and before that, Spanish and Portuguese words were adapted into all dialects. The Pinoy learner of English doesn't have to put on a much different mind set to learn... and no tonal factors. The Thai child learning thai pays attention to a much different set of cues that the Pinoy child whose cues are much closer to the cues of the child learning english. Only 8 sounds end syllables. Multiple consonants produce same sounds, tones notwithstanding. Stress is tone related. Words, not stress provide emphasis. I'm convinced that minds are organized differently by language and from language to language. Who but a Linguist and Anthropologist would know how much these differences affect second language acquisition but motivation alone could not account for all the variance. And whoever uses the "stupid" or "lazy" brush to paint Thais is culturally blind.

• Like 2