Lost my African grey parrot.

Hawk

My African grey flew away about 2 months ago over in the San Pee Suah area, close to the Ping river, which is sort of near to Ruam Chok(Rimping). I put up a bunch of posters offering a reward but the nice Thai people quickly removed them all.

I am certain that my bird is still alive and has been caught and caged but the area is too big to go around asking door to door. My bird is very tame, likes some humans, talks etc.

His wings were clipped, therefore I don't think he flew very far, and so I believe he is still in the area, possibility in the Pa Tan area now.

Can we keep this serious as my bird was special to me and I really miss his company. Anyone with news, have him etc, there is a reward not much as I am poor these days but I will compensate the finder. This forum is basically my last hope.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"His wings were clipped" <deleted>?

Your bird broke free. Lets hope he enjoys his freedom despite the fact that he was mutilated, though his chances are slim due to the fact that nature is survival of the fittest.

Your obviously not a bird person. Only 3-4 flight feathers on each wing is trimmed short not cut off or mutilated. Does not hurt the bird. The feathers grow back over time and are re-trimmed. Much like you getting a hair cut.

In this case it sounds as the birds feathers had grown back giving the bird some flight ability. As such it could travel a fair distance but not far. I hate to say it but your bird may have fallen prey to an animal. Dog or cat or even a large snake. It wouldn't know danger because it's tame. They are hardy birds and can survive in the wild if they escape.

I live in that area so will keep an eye out for it,problem is I have

a cat and she with catch anything with in reach,but I suspect a

parrot could put up a good fight for its life,with its beak and claws.

regards Worgeordie

"His wings were clipped" <deleted>?

Your bird broke free. Lets hope he enjoys his freedom despite the fact that he was mutilated, though his chances are slim due to the fact that nature is survival of the fittest.

I asked for serious replies but some idiot has to make a stupid remark, normal for thaivisa.com. Of course I only clipped a few feathers not the whole wing, I only used the word wing because when I speak to Thais they understand better. I do know about birds, as well as cats, dogs etc.and my bird was not seeking freedom at all, he was simply playing because he was free all day and night, he was not caged. Obviously you know nothing about birds, so, unless you know of his whereabouts, refrain from replying again.

regards Worgeordie

Thank you but I strongly suspect that my bird has been captured and caged because he would have sought out humans for food and water. Therefore I am seeking information as to a neighbour acquiring a new bird in the past couple of months, it could be a Thai or a foreigner who now has my bird. My bird is domesticated, we always ate together, worked together etc, at one time I had 12 cats and the cats were all afraid of him.

regards Worgeordie

Thank you but I strongly suspect that my bird has been captured and caged because he would have sought out humans for food and water. Therefore I am seeking information as to a neighbour acquiring a new bird in the past couple of months, it could be a Thai or a foreigner who now has my bird. My bird is domesticated, we always ate together, worked together etc, at one time I had 12 cats and the cats were all afraid of him.

Put the word out (verbally) that you are offering 2 or 3 thousand for its safe return.

It's amazing how things can suddenly turn up when decent money is offered.

regards Worgeordie

Put the word out (verbally) that you are offering 2 or 3 thousand for its safe return.

I am rather afraid of putting a said fixed price like 2 + thousand because some Thais will then realize that the bird is valuable and either try and sell him online or to some bird market. I have already checked those shops out by the cementary, the one near the airport but the people there are just to rude.

Bird has an identity ring so I hope nobody tries to remove it as they will break his leg or worse.

regards Worgeordie

I am rather afraid of putting a said fixed price like 2 + thousand because some Thais will then realize that the bird is valuable and either try and sell him online or to some bird market. I have already checked those shops out by the cementary, the one near the airport but the people there are just to rude.

Bird has an identity ring so I hope nobody tries to remove it as they will break his leg or worse.

No they won't, they wouldn't bother it's too much hassle.

For 'a bird' they would take the free money if it's substantial and probably take your arm with it!

They really would put into practice the "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"......guaranteed.

Edited by uptheos

regards Worgeordie

"Thais will then realize that the bird is valuable and either try and sell him online or to some bird market."

Happens a lot does it?

Earlier on the excuse was: "there is a reward not much as I am poor these days," but now it seems the problem is poor Thai people who will suddenly realize they're sitting on a goldmine and sell the bird online ... because there's a thriving online black market in parrots in CM amongst poor Thais.

Just amazing.

Too bad about the bird, but is there any thread that can remain free of gratuitous Thai bashing?

Edited by Suradit69

regards Worgeordie

Don't be afraid to put up B3000 reward, Thai's will beat the bushes to find him. I used to own a bird shop and when one of ours escaped they would climb trees, use nets to catch for that reward. They don't have a market to resell it nor do they have facilities or food to feed it and if they catch him will rush to get the reward. Another thing I can tell you is African Greys are some of the strongest flyers of the pet parrots and need their wings clipped regularly and deep to keep them from escaping. I even once had the fire department come out with a boom to get one of my Blue and Golds down from a high tree, they even refused to charge me.

Too bad about the bird, but is there any thread that can remain free of gratuitous Thai bashing?

I don't see any Thai bashing. He wants his pet back and does not want someone - Thai or foreigner - to sell it, rather than returning it to him. He mentioned Thas in particular, because they make up most of the population and are more likely to find the parrot.

regards Worgeordie

"Thais will then realize that the bird is valuable and either try and sell him online or to some bird market."

Happens a lot does it?

Earlier on the excuse was: "there is a reward not much as I am poor these days," but now it seems the problem is poor Thai people who will suddenly realize they're sitting on a goldmine and sell the bird online ... because there's a thriving online black market in parrots in CM amongst poor Thais.

Just amazing.

I believe in my opening post I asked for serious replies and not stupid assinine remarks. If you realized how much I have lost over the past few months, like in home, possessions etc because of a nice Thai person stealing from me then you may understand why I am now financially on the rocks. And for your information it was a Thai who told me about the online market, and also birds are being sold over in that market near Airport Plaza, the one opposite the crematorium.

So if you are as ignorant as your post suggests, just keep away from this thread.

I don't see any Thai bashing. He wants his pet back and does not want someone - Thai or foreigner - to sell it, rather than returning it to him. He mentioned Thas in particular, because they make up most of the population and are more likely to find the parrot.

Thank you.

regards Worgeordie

Don't be afraid to put up B3000 reward, Thai's will beat the bushes to find him. I used to own a bird shop and when one of ours escaped they would climb trees, use nets to catch for that reward. They don't have a market to resell it nor do they have facilities or food to feed it and if they catch him will rush to get the reward. Another thing I can tell you is African Greys are some of the strongest flyers of the pet parrots and need their wings clipped regularly and deep to keep them from escaping. I even once had the fire department come out with a boom to get one of my Blue and Golds down from a high tree, they even refused to charge me.

I will try again then, but there's no place to put up posters over at Ruam Chok, as someone there makes themselves busy by quickly taking them down, normally in the space of a few hours. I have already been to all the schools, temples and government offices in the area but nobody has seen my bird. I haven't given up, its just that I'm lost in where to try next.

Why not post your parrot's picture here, clearly showing its identity ring?

Its name would also help in capturing it, or calling it to roost while you make a mad scramble to be with it...how's that going to happen?

Folks here may then be of help.

Rimping near Narowat bridge has a bulletin board with rather dated notices; wonder why 'Ruam Chok(Rimping)' is odd man out here. Possibly speak to management. Also why not distribute to schools in the area, having first spoken to school authorities - students are plentiful and resourceful .

I'm curious as to why the pet shop owners, you'd spoken to, were rude.

Good luck with your pet's recovery - I had lost many over the ages by allowing them free access. Never have been one to cage an animal, so now I keep no birds.

As an aside, I'd suggested to my barber shop owner that the 20-ish old daughter should free the tropical fish rising to gasp for air in a glass of water, then sinking, continually - as karma may visit her with a vengeance. Fish had died within the week. Not sure if Karma kares...

Why not post your parrot's picture here, clearly showing its identity ring?

Its name would also help in capturing it, or calling it to roost while you make a mad scramble to be with it...how's that going to happen?

Folks here may then be of help.

Rimping near Narowat bridge has a bulletin board with rather dated notices; wonder why 'Ruam Chok(Rimping)' is odd man out here. Possibly speak to management. Also why not distribute to schools in the area, having first spoken to school authorities - students are plentiful and resourceful .

I'm curious as to why the pet shop owners, you'd spoken to, were rude.

Good luck with your pet's recovery - I had lost many over the ages by allowing them free access. Never have been one to cage an animal, so now I keep no birds.

As an aside, I'd suggested to my barber shop owner that the 20-ish old daughter should free the tropical fish rising to gasp for air in a glass of water, then sinking, continually - as karma may visit her with a vengeance. Fish had died within the week. Not sure if Karma kares...

I also dislike the caging of any animal or bird. I cannot post a picture because the Thai who stole my home, also has my computer, scanner and photos of my bird etc. Ruam Chok does not have a notice board unfortunately.

Lost your parrot, that's a shame.

But Mr. Hawk, who's to blame?

If Polly loved you true,

she would have stayed with you.

Your visceral dislike of Thais,

made you look small in Polly's eyes.

She didn't like you, thought you rotten.

Now she's gone and best forgotten.

Polly was only playing as he also did, waiting for me to come and pick him up, and Polly knew that there was only one Thai I hated because that Thai was nothing more than a lazy piece of shit, and so the only person best forgotten is you.

Are you sure that the Thai bird that shafted you didn't sell the African bird as well?

It was her son who took me,he was/is blackmailing me, so when she got seriously ill the son seized the opportunity to make a land and possessions grab. I only managed to take my bird and a few clothes with me, and when I attempted to get in while he was out I found that the locks had been changed, and he had a few friends guarding the place. Answer your question.

Bit of a run of bad luck there.

Why only 2 or 3,000 baht?

If it was my bird, I'd offer 20,000 baht to try and get it back.

One of my favorite quotes from Billy Madison that feels relevant to your situation.

Billy Madison: [to Miss Lippy] Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f____g dog.

One of my favorite quotes from Billy Madison that feels relevant to your situation.

Billy Madison: [to Miss Lippy] Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f____g dog.

Actually I have been out there looking nearly everyday for the past two months, even when it was raining, and the days I didn't search was because of ill health. I do not live in or even close to San Pee Suah/Pa Tan area, the day my bird felt like flying I was just passing through and took a short break by the school because I had injured my shoulder and was in pain. I put him on a table while I went to my motorbike to get a snack for the both of us, he flew to me but simply forgot to stop and went past, down to the end of the lane and turned right, then I lost sight of him. When I was driving he liked to stand on my leg in the day(too sunny), and in the evening/night he would stand on my shoulder, loved riding around with me on the bike. Edited by Hawk

Actually I have been out there looking nearly everyday for the past two months, even when it was raining, and the days I didn't search was because of ill health.

Well, why don't you offer here and now a BIG reward for it's return?

There are a lot of members in your area with Thai connections and they can spread the word quickly.

Just make a commitment now and anyone who has any luck can pm you