Election postponement possible if parties agree: Thai EC

webfact

POLITICS
Election postponement possible if parties agree: EC

The Nation

30222331-01_big.jpg
File photo : Somchai

BANGKOK: -- Election Commission member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said on Tuesday that the EC is ready to postpone the election from February 2 if political parties reach an agreement to delay it and if it is permitted under the law.

Somchai was responding to representatives of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), who met with the EC to call for a postponement of the election.

But if the election date cannot be postponed, the PDRC should help campaign for a fair election and no vote buying, Somchai said.

Meanwhile, Foreign Ministry Spokesman Sek Wannamethee said advance balloting for the February 2 election for Thai expatriates will take place between January 13 to 26.

Sek said Thai embassies and consular offices would announce the time and places for advance ballots on the www.khonthai.com.

Advance balloting can be held at polling booths to be determined by embassies and consular offices or by mail, Sek said.

He said the Foreign Ministry has sent handbooks for organising the advance voting to foreign embassies and consular offices.

cannot be postponed, the PDRC should help campaign for a fair election and no vote buying, Somchai said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-17

UPDATE:

Election delay possible
The Nation

30222371-01_big.gif
Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, on a tour through several northeastern provinces, is greeted by admirers after her plane lands in Buri Ram yesterday.

PDRC meets EC to plead for postponement, as Democrats put off decision on whether to run

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission's new team says it could delay the general election from the scheduled date of February 2 while political parties prepare for the judgement day. Meanwhile, the opposition Democrat Party remains undecided on whether to field candidates.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689878-election-postponement-possible-if-parties-agree-thai-ec/page-2#entry7173685

"if it is in accordance with the rules"

A bit disconcerting when a member of the Election Commission as good as admits he doesn't know the rules governing Elections, and <deleted> was he doing responding to Sutheps jolly followers in the first place?

Would he make a statement if a member of the UDD (for example) asks the EC to delay elections?

• Like 1

A bit disconcerting when a member of the Election Commission as good as admits he doesn't know the rules governing Elections, and <deleted> was he doing responding to Sutheps jolly followers in the first place?

Would he make a statement if a member of the UDD (for example) asks the EC to delay elections?

At the end of the day it would take both parties to agree to postpone the election. I doubt PTP would be interested in doing that.

I think he was being careful, aware that if he said it would be legal, PTP would accuse the EC of being onesided. IMO!

A win-win statement for all parties.

no matter what opinion you have, what is wrong to tell that something is possible if the parties agree?

If Somchai from the rice field asks if the Elections can be postponed, the EC can say the same....yes if if the parties agree.

There may be nothing wrong with delaying the elections providing both parties agree- but what is frightening is that this man who should know more about election law than anyone in the country, is unsure of whether or not the law would permit this delay

post edited due to sloppy reading of original post.

THOUGH expecting the PDRC to be 'educating' those in the south to vote independently, regardless of kamnan's instructions- might be asking a bit much of even that august and impartial body.

OK- that's a bit sarcastic - but shoudn't he have asked ALL the players (including UDD) tohelp campaign for a fair election and no vote buying-- if only for the sake of appearing balanced and impartial?

Edited by blaze

But if the election date cannot be postponed, the PDRC should help campaign for a fair election and no vote buying, Somchai said.

Better tell them dems

Deputy Democrat party leader Alongkorn Ponlaboot in an interview that was broadcast on May 31, 2013 on John Winyu’s show (รองหัวหน้าพรรคประชาธิปัตย์กล่าวในรายการ “เจาะข่าวตื้น ตอน 99″) stated:

“Recently, if we speak directly, they [Puea Thai] use little money. I am not saying we [the Democrats] use more money than them [Puea Thai]. [host interprets with statement "they are using less money"]. It has become inverted [host interprets and says "They don't need to use so much money?"] I say if it is like that then don’t say we lost because of money”. “For the last election, it may be because we actually used more than them. Therefore, don’t talk about this issue anymore."

• Like 1

If PT were really serious about reforming the system for the good of the country and the people they would agree to postpone the election and join in to help improve things.

But Thaksin would never agree to that as it would lessen the opportunities for benefiting from corruption and prevent him nuteralising all the checks and balance mechanisms all things he needs to fulfill his ambitions.

As has been said before there are already 3 reports on reform gathering dust and they should be used as a starting point for constitutional, legal, election and educational reform.

However if there is always going to be one party saying "wait we will do it later" it will be an uphill battle.

• Like 2

no matter what opinion you have, what is wrong to tell that something is possible if the parties agree?

If Somchai from the rice field asks if the Elections can be postponed, the EC can say the same....yes if if the parties agree.

If somchai from the rice field asked he wouldn't have been granted a reply from a member of the EC. Get real. Ever heard of the phrase "oxygen of publicity" ? Despicable woman but a useful phrase.

Pheua Thai don't want reforms for sure.

Here is a a party run by one man, dictating all decisions. Undated letters of resignation from every Pheua Thai MP are in his pocket.

If the country reforms, he and his family's influence are finished.

Do you have a link to these "undated letters of resignation"?

I googled away and found nothing except 4 separate entries, all pointing to thai visa posts, one of them being yours dated 4th August 2011.

No official or substantive mentions anywhere. Just another of the "if I post it often enough on TV people will believe it's gospel" myths.

Please prove me wrong.

• Like 1

Better tell them dems

Deputy Democrat party leader Alongkorn Ponlaboot in an interview that was broadcast on May 31, 2013 on John Winyu’s show (รองหัวหน้าพรรคประชาธิปัตย์กล่าวในรายการ “เจาะข่าวตื้น ตอน 99″) stated:

“Recently, if we speak directly, they [Puea Thai] use little money. I am not saying we [the Democrats] use more money than them [Puea Thai]. [host interprets with statement "they are using less money"]. It has become inverted [host interprets and says "They don't need to use so much money?"] I say if it is like that then don’t say we lost because of money”. “For the last election, it may be because we actually used more than them. Therefore, don’t talk about this issue anymore."

Very interesting post- thanks. (Suthep once made a similar statement- that the 'vote buying' by the PTP is not of the cash in envelope variety anymore- but rather populist policies.

Edited by blaze

Better tell them dems

Very interesting post- thanks. (Suthep once made a similar statement- that the 'vote buying' by the PTP is not of the cash in envelope variety anymore- but rather populist policies.

Just read this Suthep. Coming from your friend Korn.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/19554/korn-on-the-democrats-in-the-northeast/

Here is a a party run by one man, dictating all decisions. Undated letters of resignation from every Pheua Thai MP are in his pocket.

I googled away and found nothing except 4 separate entries, all pointing to thai visa posts, one of them being yours dated 4th August 2011.

No official or substantive mentions anywhere. Just another of the "if I post it often enough on TV people will believe it's gospel" myths.

Please prove me wrong.

It was news prior to the last election, both in the Thai and English language press. Thaksin was afraid he would be betrayed again as Newin and his group did to form the Apisit government, so to prevent any defections he demanded letters of resignation from all Pheua Thai candidates before the election.

Election postponement possible if parties agree: EC

EC is ready to postpone the election from February 2 if political parties reach an agreement to delay it and if it is permitted under the law.

Election Commission Chairman Supachai Somcharoen said Monday that the EC has no choice but to hold the February 2 election as required by the law and the House dissolution royal decree. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689726-ec-chief-says-ec-has-no-choice-but-to-hold-feb-2-election/

I wonder if the EC know anything about the election laws in Thailand.

Please prove me wrong.

It was news prior to the last election, both in the Thai and English language press. Thaksin was afraid he would be betrayed again as Newin and his group did to form the Apisit government, so to prevent any defections he demanded letters of resignation from all Pheua Thai candidates before the election.

So that's a No then. You haven't got a link but it was news, which conveniently has disapeared into the ether. It's strange that you didn't give a link back in August 2011 when you were writing that post - it would have been fresh in the mind then. The other three tv posts mentioned in my search didn't give a link either, just some vague mentioning of Thaksin and regsignation letters. Sounds like

Yet another TV myth....................

Please prove me wrong.

It's already apparent that these letters of resignation don't exist (see my previous post) but just for a laugh lets say they do. How would Thaksin use them to prevent defections?

Somchai MP (PTP) threatens to defect to the dems.

Thaksin - "I have your signed undated letter of resignation in my pocket"

Somchai - "And?"

Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

Please prove me wrong.

So that's a No then. You haven't got a link but it was news, which conveniently has disapeared into the ether. It's strange that you didn't give a link back in August 2011 when you were writing that post - it would have been fresh in the mind then. The other three tv posts mentioned in my search didn't give a link either, just some vague mentioning of Thaksin and regsignation letters. Sounds like

Yet another TV myth....................

No Fab 4, it was certainly in The Daily News and other Thai newspapers two and a half years ago

I don't make things up.

I like to read the news to find out what is going in the world, I'm sorry if it appears 'strange' I didn't give a link at the time, I must have had some ulterior motive such as being absorbed in the news or I had to get on with my work in the bank.

I do apologize but

Please prove me wrong.

It's already apparent that these letters of resignation don't exist (see my previous post) but just for a laugh lets say they do. How would Thaksin use them to prevent defections?

Somchai - "And?"

Yes, you are. By filling in the date confirming the resignation of the MP, that ex MP can no longer defect. If he was a party list MP, Thaksin would lose nothing as the Pheua Thai candidate, next on the list to be an MP would automatically become an MP.

If he was a Constituency MP he may be liable to pay for the cost of the by-election.

Please prove me wrong.

Somchai - "And?"

Yes, you are. By filling in the date confirming the resignation of the MP, that ex MP can no longer defect. If he was a party list MP, Thaksin would lose nothing as the Pheua Thai candidate, next on the list to be an MP would automatically become an MP.

If he was a Constituency MP he may be liable to pay for the cost of the by-election.

So Somchai has now been fraudently made to resign, he keeps quiet about it as Thaksin has this mesmeric hold over Somchai. He is now an ex constituency MP and free to join whosever party he likes. When questioned as to why he resigned by the EC who are looking to get their by-election costs back, Somchai resolutely refuses to name Thaksin as being responsible (despite the world and his dog knowing about these resignation letters, apparently) and meekly pays up....................

..............and then joins the dems who have either given him a big brown envelope to cover expenses or alternatively a prime job on the cabinet, as let's say, Interior Minister and given a large budget for infrastructure, like, perhaps, a Dust Free Roads Project or something similar.

But,no you're right, that version couldn't possibly happen, what with the dems being so virtuous and all that and Thaksin being the Evil Controller of Minds that he is.

is this actually PR-talk for buying more time (for whatever reason)?

Yep, more time for New populist policies and new vote buying, and possibly delay until the 180 days of Amnesty bill delay days are over and it can be reintro-reconciled-duced again, and PING, PHEU THAI is back with a vengeance and with the rights to continue their rice pledging and water-project SCAMS and the Democrats and their Anti-government supporters can kiss their behinds goodbye.... and Yingluck's Hawaii trip is more than sponsor-guaranteed...giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Please prove me wrong

Well I know you are struggling to get a grasp of what is happening but really you expected to find those letters of resignation on Google.

You might as well look on the walls in the men's room. The answer is not on Google it is in what is write and what is wrong. Remember that they let murders walk free while still obeying the law. Does that make it rite. You will not find the answer in the law books. Maybe for 50 years ago but not today.

I see no reason for not waiting for reform so that they can have a fair election. The PTP will still probably win as they really don't seem to have any backers who can think past today. This will change when the education system becomes a viable reality here in Thailand. In the mean time the Myth of Saint Thaksin lives on only tarnished a little bit and the PTP will not have the power they enjoyed in their head long drive to free Thaksin of all punishments for his crimes. the military has spoken finally. They say that Thailand deserves a fair and honest election.

What is your problem with that?

no, no and no

don't give into the mob - hold elections as agreed by Royal Decree and give power back to the people (who will trounce the Dems yet again at the polls)

You seem to have a real fear of reform. Any particular reason for it?

reforms hold by someone who fear new election? dont bother to answer, i know why...whistling.gif

POLITICS
Election delay possible

The Nation

30222371-01_big.gif
Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, on a tour through several northeastern provinces, is greeted by admirers after her plane lands in Buri Ram yesterday.

PDRC meets EC to plead for postponement, as Democrats put off decision on whether to run

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission's new team says it could delay the general election from the scheduled date of February 2 while political parties prepare for the judgement day. Meanwhile, the opposition Democrat Party remains undecided on whether to field candidates.

"We are willing to delay [the election] for three months, six months, one year to two years. But first things first: The political parties have to reach an agreement. The second thing is whether it [a delay] is allowed by the law. We, the EC, are the third factor," EC member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said.

He made the remarks after representatives of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protest group met with the EC yesterday and submitted an open letter calling for a postponement of the election. The representatives were Sathit Segal, Somsak Kosaisuk, Somkiat Pongpaibul and General Preecha Iamsuphan.

Somsak also read an open letter from PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban said that the demonstrators want to reform the country before an election is held.

In an earlier statment, Suthep said the national reform may take a year and a half to complete.

Somchai said he admired the good intentions of the PDRC to see national reform but there were some legal limitations for the EC.

The government can issue an executive decree to postpone an election if there is an emergency situation, he said. For example, if there were a national disaster or a war, nobody would go to the polls. But such a postponement needs approval from the EC, Somchai said.

If the election date cannot be postponed, he urged the PDRC to help campaign for a fair election without vote-buying.

However, the EC accepted the letter from the PDRC and said it would consider the demands therein. The commissioners asked the group to recognise that it was their duty by law to organise the election.

'No blocking of process'

The EC has set December 23-27 for party-list candidates to submit their applications to run in the election. Caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan said the government would not allow protesters to break the law by blocking election procedures.

Charupong, Pheu Thai Party leader, said he had been informed that protesters would be trucked from the South to Bangkok to block registration by party-list candidates.

Meanwhile, the interim government yesterday approved a Bt3.885-billion budget for the election.

Chalitrat Chandrubeksa, deputy government spokesman, said that to ensure transparency, international organisations and media would be invited to observe the nationwide poll.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday declared she would not yield to the PDRC demands that she step down.

"I came to power through an election two years ago. If I have to go, let me go only through an election,'' she said.

In another development, the opposition Democrat Party had yet to resolve whether to contest the election, although it completed the appointment of a new executive committee. Abhisit Vejjajiva was reappointed as the party's leader.

The decision will be made by the former and current board, by this week.

Several former Democrat MPs said their party could not take a position on the election quickly because it was a very important issue for the party.

"If we announced that we were ready to [participate in] the election, we would lose credibility with many people at the rally sites. Yet it would have a bad effect on the people's movement," one of the sources said.

Former Democrat MP Pichase Panvichatikul said it was a tough decision given the currently volatile political situation.

"In principle, the party should compete in the election, but [in terms of the impacts from doing so], the party should boycott it, because [taking part] would only alienate political allies.

After yesterday's Cabinet meeting, Yingluck embarked on a trip to the Northeast, starting with Buri Ram. The stated purpose of the visit is to inspect government work.

Last week, Yingluck spent five days in the Northern region, another Pheu Thai vote base.

Although the schedule has been set for her visit to nine provinces - Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Yasothon, Roi Et, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin, Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Bueng Kan - between now and Sunday, the details of where she would go were kept secret, as was the case with last week's tour.

Reasons to postpone

_ A poll can be delayed by 30 days via royal decree if there is civil unrest, floods, fire or other eventualities (according to Article 78 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ If the ballot papers are damaged or lost (according to Article 85 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ If only one candidate is elected in a constituency and receives less than 20 per cent of the total vote (according to Article 88 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ A constituency has no MP candidates;

_ The number of MPs is less than 95 per cent of 500 - the compulsory figure that is needed for the House of Representatives to convene (according to Article 93 of the Constitution).

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-18