'Huh?'

infinity11

I am asked this numerous times on a day to day basis mostly from thais.
Often times before i can even finish what it is i am saying.
Sometimes i don't answer and just wait only to find out yes they did hear me loud and clear after all.

But they still insist on asking; huh?
Cultural thing no doubt.
Any insights.?
If anything, Thais are curious and noisy but this one is beyond any logic or reason and more than annoying in my lesser moments and moods.

You can blame me but i speak much clearer than most and have been told so.

I have been told once they ask huh? so they can be sure what you are saying.

I think it might have to do with the 'lazy' and 'question' culture but that does not sound so nice. (sorry)
Maybe more on that last statement later.

• Like 1

chang_zpse0bfad37.jpg

cheesy.gif

can anyone decipher this post?

Yes, I can.

And if I would ask "Can anyone explain the connection between your post and the OP", your answer would be.... let me guess... eeuuhhh....

Some people have original ideas, others just imitate.

You're making as much sense as the OP...

• Like 1

Hard to mistake "eur" for huh?,,,, I have noticed this also, my take is that due to the nature of Thai language,(tonal and descriptive) misunderstandings are common, that is why people often repeat back to you what they understood you to say, just to make certain. I noticed when listening to locals converse, not uncommon to hear "huh?" then a repeated phrase.

• Like 1

chang_zpse0bfad37.jpg

cheesy.gif

can anyone decipher this post?

Yes, I can.

And if I would ask "Can anyone explain the connection between your post and the OP", your answer would be.... let me guess... eeuuhhh....

Some people have original ideas, others just imitate.

You're a barrel of laughs, eh... I bet your wife is stoked. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I think you mean the "Urgh" sound that Thais make and it signals an agreement,obviously to the speaker,you hear it all the time.

I have often wondered how to spell that one in English...your's is as good as any I have thought of. Thanks...I guess! lol

• Like 1

As another poster commented, are you sure they are not saying 'ugh' or 'er' ? That is Issan for 'yes' or 'go on'. So it means the listener is agreeing with you...

Yes that is what i was thinking about too, as far as i know its not real polite but among friends normal.

Secondly, If in a non tourist area they may have never heard a Falang speak Thai so our accent/lack of fluency totally throws them. Thais are just not used to hearing non-Thai speak their language. Unlike we Europeans who hear accents as varied as broad Glaswegian to sing-song Swedes speaking English and we can understand it.

Wow, you can understand Glaswegian? Impressive!

May I try ? You see my grandma had a short leg and then when the fire broke out she ran she ran. Well that only made the glass eye fall out. So she ran in circles because that is what you do with a short leg. I hope that helps you doo doo heads..

May I try ? You see my grandma had a short leg and then when the fire broke out she ran she ran. Well that only made the glass eye fall out. So she ran in circles because that is what you do with a short leg. I hope that helps you doo doo heads..

Hope it's not hereditary !

Hope it's not hereditary !

Or contagious .....cheesy.gif