What is the expiry date on my phone number?

ultimate weapon

Mate, I don't know the answer but ...

I used to suffer from the SIM card run out of date when I left Thailand.

So I got a Thai person to call the telephone company and it cost something like 12 Baht to extend that SIM card for about 6 months.

They simply took the fee from the available pre-paid credit.

All done with a phone-call.

Might be able to do it in English, but I've never had to try.

I have a TrueH SIM and my balance enquiries and validity messages are displayed in English by default. I think there is a code to dial to ensure this but I dont know what it is as True did it for me in the shop when I got the SIM.

Pre-pay credit validity is 2 months from the last top-up or from the last outgoing phone call or SMS. Presumably the number is lost some time after that.

Either way the simple way to retain validity is to make one short call every two months. To be on the safe side (and so that I dont forget) I call myself every first of the month via the 0060 prefix and it only costs me a few satang.

There is a new version of the iServices app (Android, iPhone) which is really slick. It can be set to English and shows your expiry/balance clearly in English.

This looked interesting so I installed it and ran it. A nice page in English comes up inviting me to login. But I have no TrueID. No problem, there's a button to create one. I follow that and from there on it's all in Thai. Something about one-time-passwords by SMS (OTP) and I managed to get one sent to me but I've no idea what the rest of it said regarding what to do with the OTP once I had it, or whether I need to create a new password or how. Shame.

I shall go into the True shop in BigC and let them do it for me. They can turn off my voicemail at the same time as I never found a way to do that from the phone either.

To check balance/expiry: USSD: #123# Send, IVR: *9302 Call

https://www3.truecorp.co.th/cm/support_content/2256?ln=en

You can use iServices Android or iPhone app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truelife.mobile.android.trueiservice&hl=en

or use IVR: * 9000 press 2, then press 5, or USSD: *900# Send,

or send an SMS to 9789, with a single, lowercase "b" in the body

Literal translation is "You have 269.18 Baht until 12/January/2104"

Usually this refers to the money left in your pre-paid phone/SIM.

12 January 2014 smile.png

Not US style. Thai date format is day/month/year (same as in most European countries) where year can be bhuddist era or christian era (quite randomly). In systems that are internationally connected (flight reservation/timetable, passports and many others) the christian era is used.

The year is usally not shortened, but always 4 digits (2557 or 2014).

2557 - 543 = 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

I am quite certain that the language of the messages can be changed to English.

Don't know how to do for TRUE.

Literally it is a very simple text:

คุณมี 269.18 บ. ถึง 12/01/2557 -> you have 269.18 Baht until 12 Jan 2014

Edited by KhunBENQ

I know with AIS, if you top up one time with B1500, your validity for all subsequent top-ups from then on is one year.

Maybe in the olden days of yore? Nowadays all service providers here have rolling, non-cumulative 60-day maximum validities, including the new AIS subsidiary, AWN. So if you've switched from the old One-2-Call to the new AIS 3G 12Call, you may or may not have brought forward your old, one-year maximum rolling expiration.

I think DTAC still offers the "Day-Give-away" promotion... http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html which allows one to purchase extended validity.

Also be sure to review the terms of your plan/promotion, as there may be a usage requirement: originate a completed call, top-up every 60 days in order to maintain validity.

post-9615-0-48317300-1387352931_thumb.jp

Guys thanks for helping out but i am rather disapointed that my extension was only up till 12 jan cos when i last topped it up it was valid till 26 dec of this year. i had around 900 bht in it and i used the one day internet plan and made phone calls and everything and i just have exprity up till 12 jan of next year. I am using a tourist sim card and i understand you can extend expiry on true by making phone calls and everything but is it just a few days?

Guys thanks for helping out but i am rather disapointed that my extension was only up till 12 jan cos when i last topped it up it was valid till 26 dec of this year. i had around 900 bht in it and i used the one day internet plan and made phone calls and everything and i just have exprity up till 12 jan of next year. I am using a tourist sim card and i understand you can extend expiry on true by making phone calls and everything but is it just a few days?

Read my post number 8:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689975-what-is-the-expiry-date-on-my-phone-number/#entry7173997

Read my post number 8:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689975-what-is-the-expiry-date-on-my-phone-number/#entry7173997

mine definitely isn't 2 months. I used the unlimited function daily mind you which is around 52 bht everyday and it was this month the 4th of this month until 9 days later and i made calls on my number. The last time i checked the 12th of jan of next year isn't 2 months from this month. It's only 1 month.

These TrueMove H (new) Tourist Inter SIMs - note there are three different versions: free, 49 baht and 299 baht

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/2258

are targeted for well, tourists, so these may have different and unique top-up/expiry characteristics.

A quick review of the terms and conditions seems to indicate that these SIMs all have a 30 day maximum, rolling, non-cumulative expiry - which sort of makes sense when one remembers the target customer. (They may desire to turn these numbers over more frequently for re-use as everyone is running out numbers.)

You should be able to extend/maintain the 30 day expiry simply by completing an out-going call, topping up or maybe, using data (?).

Otherwise maybe get a real SIM?

Most standard, regular pre-paid TrueMove H SIMs have a rolling, non-cumulative 60 day expiry based on usage (top-up, completed out-going call), at least that's how all the one's I've worked on function.

Edited by lomatopo

I know with AIS, if you top up one time with B1500, your validity for all subsequent top-ups from then on is one year.

Maybe in the olden days of yore? Nowadays all service providers here have rolling, non-cumulative 60-day maximum validities, including the new AIS subsidiary, AWN. So if you've switched from the old One-2-Call to the new AIS 3G 12Call, you may or may not have brought forward your old, one-year maximum rolling expiration.

I think DTAC still offers the "Day-Give-away" promotion... http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html which allows one to purchase extended validity.

Also be sure to review the terms of your plan/promotion, as there may be a usage requirement: originate a completed call, top-up every 60 days in order to maintain validity.

I switched over an AIS legacy account with established one year validity to an AIS 3G account and continue to receive one year validity on every top-up regardless of the top-up amount.

continue to receive one year validity on every top-up regardless of the top-up amount.

That's good to hear. AIS has always been pretty good at "grandfathering" existing customers and plans

But, I've heard from a few people that this was not the case with DTAC/Happy to Tri-NET, TrueMove to TrueMove H and AIS-One-2-Call to AWN, and that they moved to the new scheme of 60 day max. expiry when they ported out/in to the new subsidiary.

FWIW, you're not really getting one-year validity for each top-up, and this is a challenging thing to explain, but you are adding value, and expiry up to the maximum before such time as the expiry has dipped below 335, or 305 days. That is to say, if you were to wait nearly 12 months, then top-up you'd only receive 30 or 60 days, rather than another 365 days. The question remains if you can then build up (accumulate) validity?