What exactly does Suthep mean by political reform?

webfact

A clear-thinking Thai political scientist suggested that amendments to the Constitution require a super majority (2/3) to enact changes (which will prevent future abuses like the boondoggle amnesty bill). He also suggested that key legislation that cross a certain thereshold in cost follow the same requirements, which will make Easter eggs like the rice-pledging scheme a tragi-comedy neither side will be able to repeat, and the annual budget would become a shared process.

I was told neither side liked his idea (the idea of sharing power) and that both sides reserve the right to abuse the system when they are in charge. Sadly, I was not surprised.

As you describe it, that change wouldn't do anything for the rice pledging bill or the amnesty bill, as they aren't amendments to the constitution.

If you were to require a supermajority for all budget policy decisions you would essentially make the country ungovernable as the opposition will always block whatever the government tries to do.

To be honest the current system in the 2007 constitution isn't all that bad. With 50% of senators appointed and the opposition holding at least 1/3 of the rest by proportional vote, any bill that's really harmful ought to be blocked there. Definitely voting rules should be made stricter so that the top party can't sneak a vote through in the middle of the night. Require a quorum of at least 2/3rds of senators, that ought to do it. No more than that otherwise the opposition could filibuster any bill they want by just walking out.

Edited by Zolt

It is a tragedy.
Thailand does not seem to be able to organize unity and justice.
The division of the country appears deeper than ever before.
To find compromises, searching for a better fairer solution, appears alien.

The political system has many faults.
And, unfortunately, the so-called "elected" representatives of the people, take advantage shamelessly only for themselfs.

The necessary changes, reforms and the honorable work of politicians will this country never experience,
as long convicted criminals, corrupt people and only of themselves thinking people sit in Parliament and key positions.

Every Thai I've talked to, all like to be rid of these greedy cancer.
But they do not know how to do it.

As the greatest hope remains the Constitution Court
Hopefully the court judges with a variety of parliamentary requirements to be met in the future, no matter who is in power.
Like for all future budgeting processes they make it compulsory for all future governments, that
- the use of money for project proposals are accurately represented in detail and coherent on the last baht.
- the use of money for project proposals is described in detail for all people publicly documented and visible
- Public monthly or quarterly reports on Finance and project progresses.
- Public invitation for project proposals and at least three competitive compare offers.
- Project completion reports including all expenses with receipts.
- a strong supervisory committee composed of members is formed by all parties,
to control the entire investment process without disabilities and time delay restrictions.
The results of the process and progress checks are presented to the parliament.
The members of the supervisory body should rotate so that corruption is impossible or more difficult.
When public funds are used, then the public has the right to see what the representatives of the people plan to do with the money and how it was used.
It must be prevented that a country can be completely plundered by a few unethical people just because they are currently in power.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

I agree. Like I say in past forum, Suthep has no idea how it want it to reform and how he want the whole thing to stop. There is ways for political reform in the country, is just not he wants due to this will bring no benefits to him (etc: Transparency, anti-corruption, education and many others). When they have the chance in the government, they did not make any changes so people go back to other parties and this is the main down fall of the opposition. For me what I can see here is that Suthep doesn't want reform at all he want is to maintain power for himself and the people financing him. He started the rally with a good reason to push against for the amnesty bill, and after he saw the people support for him, he take the advantage to overthrow the currently government (the ways used has now gone to far) by selling promise and idea that the people wanted to hear. But the problem now back fire on him, after he start selling, he do not have an idea how to make the promise happen or end the things without losing the people trust, so he started with the people council and all other promise but himself know that this can't happen. A real politician doesn't ask to change this and that in the law, but how to used it to make them in power (by the end Laws is set by human and it will have it flaw). For me no matter how Suthep change the law, as long as it cannot bring power to him, he will no stop and all coming back to square one. As for Thaksin, I don't really agree with him, but at least now he is a little clever on how to play this game.

• Like 2

I agree. Like I say in past forum, Suthep has no idea how it want it to reform and how he want the whole thing to stop. There is ways for political reform in the country, is just not he wants due to this will bring no benefits to him (etc: Transparency, anti-corruption, education and many others). When they have the chance in the government, they did not make any changes so people go back to other parties and this is the main down fall of the opposition. For me what I can see here is that Suthep doesn't want reform at all he want is to maintain power for himself and the people financing him. He started the rally with a good reason to push against for the amnesty bill, and after he saw the people support for him, he take the advantage to overthrow the currently government (the ways used has now gone to far) by selling promise and idea that the people wanted to hear. But the problem now back fire on him, after he start selling, he do not have an idea how to make the promise happen or end the things without losing the people trust, so he started with the people council and all other promise but himself know that this can't happen. A real politician doesn't ask to change this and that in the law, but how to used it to make them in power (by the end Laws is set by human and it will have it flaw). For me no matter how Suthep change the law, as long as it cannot bring power to him, he will no stop and all coming back to square one. As for Thaksin, I don't really agree with him, but at least now he is a little clever on how to play this game.

You have under estimated the force.

The dark force.

If you want reform it is quite easy start doing political education in the north areas around PT. Do not do it as a party thing. Just start going over different things that both parties are doing wrong and how they can be changed for the good

The first thing that should be done is get rid of the appointed MP's either you win a seat or you do not there is no extra seating. This will make the government smaller and remove all the favoritism and nepotism.

It will also allow for a better discussion as the people elected will be responsible to the people and to to the leadership be it AV or Thaksin.

Imagine if an MP was chosen by the people and was responsible for gong back to the people to explain why he screwed up the rice deal, or why they kept getting flooded.

• Like 2

A real democracy would have the entire population over the age of 18 voting on every single issue, this can be done over the internet.rolleyes.gif

There would be no need for political parties, only state administrators.thumbsup.gif

Thailand would be perfect for this new and real democracy.smile.png

BUT...facepalm.gif

Problem is... there would be no room for the rich corrupt politicians to become richer.w00t.gif

So its not going to happen, any time, ever. bah.gif

Shame isn't it sad.png

Suthep is the jester bringing the message to the people. He was instructed and have done as asked. Even if this folly brings his type of political system into power he will never be the ruler, but he would be even richer than now.

You have under estimated the force.

The dark force.

You mean the family of 200 that said before the real protest started "we only need 20% of the people to support us". This was in an article in The Nation, that have since disappeared from their website. After this statement suddenly the protest became alive. As seen from the quote they are not interested in democracy but the support of 20% of Thai's to force their way to power. Thailand need reform but within a democratic system.

• Like 1

"An undemocratic route will never install democracy."

correct

NOT QUITE TRUE. We can see evidence of DEMOCRACY coming to power from autocratic rule in General Franco's Spain and now there is a democracy and a Monarchy and a robust healthy debate for the future of the country

Why doesn't the newspaper here in Thailand take the lead on this reform question? Why doesn't the newspaper start publishing informed thoughtful opinion on how Thailand should reform - What steps should be taken in phase 1, phase 1, phase 3 ... and how those reforms should policed and governed. The newspaper should be speaking to informed editorial on ridding Thailand of police and military corruption, transparency, regulation, complinace, and education.

The newspaper should eliminate all this meaningless empty dribble that merely circles the wagons around and around. The newspaper needs to campaign for freedom of the press so that they are free from threat, reprisal, and charges so that they can start doing some meaningful investigative journalism. The press should be calling out known acts of corruption, law breaking with impunity, and calling for the prosecution of those involved. Without a free press and a press driving mindset for reform, Thailand will never change and is doomed to repeat their failures over and over.

Because they are a THAI Newspaper and do not think. It is always easier to POINT OUT THE OBVIOUS and suggest nothing as suggestions means you need to have a brain to think.

Sadly lacking here in Thailand. Too many people say we need to think and ask this and that and this and that is wrong, but where are the LEADERS with suggestions? Hiding away looking at how they can fleece and steal from more Thai people and foreigners without DOING ANYTHING constructive. thats where they are..

This opinion piece should put to rest claims that the Nation is pro-yellow. I find the paper most often in support of the democratic process. With regards that the Thaksin clan will continue to enrich themselves, well yes, but if not them then who? The Democrats? Doesn't matter who is in power, corruption runs down both sides of the isle.

The odd opinion piece in the Nation that is pro or leaning towards the PTP does not suddenly absolve it of the extreme bias it usually exhibits. There is a long way to go before this opinion piece and a few articles by Pravit transforms this rag into something worthy of the journalistic trade.

• Like 1