Which Smartphone for email?

vspin134

My major beef with all those messengers is that everyone has his preferred one. To cater to all those Messenger disciples you need to install about ten of them, and that's only the most popular ones.

Sure enough, it is impossible to keep track who said what on which Messenger and even worse, the history disappears once in a while.

Email, that's something I can save as a separate file, print out, forward and archive..

But now back on topic please

B)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My major beef with all those messengers is that everyone has his preferred one. To cater to all those Messenger disciples you need to install about ten of them,

So true. I need Skype, Whats App, Viber, Tango in my phones. Painful.

Im happy in Europe Viber is becoming most preferred app, I like Viber more than all other messangers. In Thailand Tango seems to be most used. I really don't like Tango :/

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go on then, why hide behind not quoting me, I'm not afraid to say that I prefer the iPhone over the Samsung.

But a typical reply from a Samsung fanboy..

I didn't quote you because there was no reason to quote. On mobile device, scrolling and scrolling.... And then scrolling some more, thanks to endless quotes is no fun.

As for Samsung fan boy... Not really. I've owned only one, a Note 2, and I had it for 1 months, sold it cos I never liked the design. The phone itself was perfect, but Samsungs look like soap boxes, especially white versions.

I love the design of iPhone, but I think they are grossly over priced, and there is no excuse not to have a memory card slot. Apples business model to make customer pay $100 in order to have 16Gb step up for more storage is insulting.

So there, I do not like Samsungs plasticky design appealing, but they are very good phones.

This is typed on Sony Ultra, and for phone I use Sony Z1.

So no, not a typical reply from Samsung fan boy.

Apologies for calling you a fan boy, that was bang out of order.. Took the 'laughable' a bit too personal..

• Like 2

My major beef with all those messengers is that everyone has his preferred one. To cater to all those Messenger disciples you need to install about ten of them,

So true. I need Skype, Whats App, Viber, Tango in my phones. Painful.

Im happy in Europe Viber is becoming most preferred app, I like Viber more than all other messangers. In Thailand Tango seems to be most used. I really don't like Tango :/

Tango? Not played with it.

I dabbled with viber and found it not too bad considering it's cost. The 'pants call' that viber suffers from is a bit annoying though.

Skype served a purpose to connect with those on non apple devices. I do find FaceTime much clearer and solid to use on iDevices though.

I think Line is the most popular amongst my Thai family and friends - I personally don't use it anymore, I tried it but couldn't find a continual use for it and I resist the continual insistence to use it. Whatsapp provides a much easier platform to perform the same function.

How about palringo? Anyone still use that old chestnut? Hahaha

Line seems to be the most popular in Thailand, my GF and a lot of my friends use it, not sure about outside of Thailand.

I too refuse using any of these chat apps, I think this Line app is the most annoying thing ever, it keeps getting messages 24/7 on my GF'S phone. I use Skype only when I need to make an international phone calls, even then I recently switched to Vonage app as its a better quality calls (to Canada anyways) and it's easy to add call credits using the play store. Like I said I don't want to use any of the chat apps and I prefer emails instead.

For email apps I use stock Gmail for my Gmail account and Samsung email app for Hotmail and I have no complains. Email apps are really personal preferences so you won't know if you like them or not until you try.

Regarding phones, Samsung makes some of the fines phones as well as many budget models and it's just silly to ignore all samsung because you don't like their email app. I have a note 3 and the stylus is the best thing to write long emails.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Guys, shall we open a new topic about messengers? This here is about smartphones for email use..

Yes, guilty myself with one off topic post, but let's discuss messengers elsewhere

B)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Different makers add their own features, they start with clean Android, and then add their own stuff. There is no need to use any Samsung app that they preinstall on top of basic Android. Samsungs makes some of the best smartphones. That is universally recognized. At the moment all things considered, right now, Samsung Note 3 is the best phone for any money. That not my personal opinion, that is the opinion of most trusted tech review sites. At the moment nothing beats Note 3. Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing to do with apps. They build a ROM for specific hardware. And the initial release of 4.3 for certain Samsung models was so flawed they had to pull it.

Edited by tw25rw

And now all Samsung mobile devices should be disregsrded, incl the Note 3, overall the best smart phone available today?

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've already given my reasons as to why I intend moving away from Samsung. I'm not interested in a circular argument with you.

Well I've not used windows so can't comment on those. My experience with android email was as follows.

Gmail is fine as there is a dedicated native gmail app but try using the native mail app with day outlook.com or hotmail and you will quickly see what the issue is. Deleting items on the phone doesn't actually remove them from the inbox. Navigating around wasn't as tidy as well with poor folder support.

And now all Samsung mobile devices should be disregsrded, incl the Note 3, overall the best smart phone available today?

I've already given my reasons as to why I intend moving away from Samsung. I'm not interested in a circular argument with you.

Huh? circular?

You advise people to stay away from Samsung devices, that is bad advice, it wrong advice.

Samsungs make some of the best smart phones.

If we look at all smart phone makers, HTC, Sony, LG, Huawei and others smaller ones, no other manufacturer comes even close to Samsung smart phone line up.

No need to getting into circular or triangular anything.

Samsung now sells 1 million mobile devices EVERY DAY

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_sells_1_million_mobile_devices_iper_day_i-news-7082.php

So if you dont mind their all plastic design, Samsungs are best value.

For past 2 years every time Samsung comes up with new flagship phone, that phone is the best phone on the market, at that time. S2, S3, S4 were best phones on the market, regardless of price, when released. Same goes for all three Galaxy Notes. When first Note was released exactly 2 years ago, Samsung created a whole new device, a phablet.

Another poster advised you not even consider Samsung. Dont disregard Samsung, just cos some pre installed app sucks. Try some other email apps, and use which one you like.

Nexus 4 and now nexus 5 represent the best value by far for a high end smart phone.

Battery life is the only negative. Brilliant value and brilliant phones

• Like 2

Well I've not used windows so can't comment on those. My experience with android email was as follows.

Gmail is fine as there is a dedicated native gmail app but try using the native mail app with day outlook.com or hotmail and you will quickly see what the issue is. Deleting items on the phone doesn't actually remove them from the inbox. Navigating around wasn't as tidy as well with poor folder support.

Try setting up your email account properly and everything will work as it should. I have no issues with emails getting deleted from the server nor with managing the folders.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Nexus 4 and now nexus 5 represent the best value by far for a high end smart phone.

Yes!

For 15.000 baht, there is no better phone than Nexus 5, it is really great phone.

Every Nexus at the time of release is best value for money, and purest and latest Android, no bloatware added.

Yes!

For 15.000 baht, there is no better phone than Nexus 5, it is really great phone.

Every Nexus at the time of release is best value for money, and purest and latest Android, no bloatware added.

If they continue producing phones like this, I will never buy another phone than Nexus. Have tablets, I had nexus 4, and just got 5. Outstanding.

• Like 2

Huh? circular?

You advise people to stay away from Samsung devices, that is bad advice, it wrong advice.

Samsungs make some of the best smart phones.

If we look at all smart phone makers, HTC, Sony, LG, Huawei and others smaller ones, no other manufacturer comes even close to Samsung smart phone line up.

No need to getting into circular or triangular anything.

Circular as in going back over things I have already covered.

Yes!

If they continue producing phones like this, I will never buy another phone than Nexus. Have tablets, I had nexus 4, and just got 5. Outstanding.
their tablets aren't to shabby either. Simple but effective
  • Like 1

I'm not sure OP got an answer to his question.

I see a lot of confusion between manufacturers and operating systems.

HTC, LG, Samsung and many others use Android as their operating system. So in terms of application (and by extension of mail capabilities), they will all be on the same page because on all of them you'll be able to install a mail client from the "App Store" (in the case of Android, it is actually called "Play Store).

Then there's the iPhone, Windows phones and Blackberry.

The latest Blackberry phones are actually pretty good but the app selection is pretty scarce. It's a bit similar (to a lesser extent) for Windows Phones. Windows phones are mostly made by Nokia however and they have a really good build quality with various screen sizes.

iPhone is a safe choice. They are dependable, the OS is reliable, but IMO, they are not amazing at productivity. Honestly, their screens are too small. Came from there, thought bigger screens were stupid, then got used to it in about a week and can't go back.

Now the good and bad side of Android is the quantity of offering. It's good because if you know what you want, you'll probably find it. It's bad because it's more complicated to choose.

In any case, don't listen to those recommending a specific brand because their email app is good because in any case, you can change it to whatever you like. Including very pro apps that can handle a lot of emails.

Here's a few example of the best Android email apps (which would therefore work on Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG,...):

K-9 Mail: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9

Maildroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid

Aquamail: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail

SolMail: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daum.android.solmail

In your case, I'd recommend a pretty big screen. Big screen means bigger keyboard and more of the email visible at the same time. From Samsung, the Galaxy S4 and the Note 3 are very good devices, sold in millions and well supported. You can't really go wrong with those.

Personally, I just bought the Google Nexus 5 (manufactured by LG) which is in my opinion the best price/performance ratio available currently in Thailand. You can get it for 16,900THB in Jaymart and others. Despite being cheaper than all the competition, it actually has a better camera, processor and screen than the latest Samsungs (Note 3 is about 23K, S4 20K) while having performances very close from the iPhone 5S (around 24K).

And if you have a friend in the US, he can buy it for you for $350 (yup, that's less than 12K THB).

• Like 2

I'm not sure OP got an answer to his question.

I see a lot of confusion between manufacturers and operating systems.

HTC, LG, Samsung and many others use Android as their operating system. So in terms of application (and by extension of mail capabilities), they will all be on the same page because on all of them you'll be able to install a mail client from the "App Store" (in the case of Android, it is actually called "Play Store).

Then there's the iPhone, Windows phones and Blackberry.

The latest Blackberry phones are actually pretty good but the app selection is pretty scarce. It's a bit similar (to a lesser extent) for Windows Phones. Windows phones are mostly made by Nokia however and they have a really good build quality with various screen sizes.

iPhone is a safe choice. They are dependable, the OS is reliable, but IMO, they are not amazing at productivity. Honestly, their screens are too small. Came from there, thought bigger screens were stupid, then got used to it in about a week and can't go back.

Now the good and bad side of Android is the quantity of offering. It's good because if you know what you want, you'll probably find it. It's bad because it's more complicated to choose.

In any case, don't listen to those recommending a specific brand because their email app is good because in any case, you can change it to whatever you like. Including very pro apps that can handle a lot of emails.

Here's a few example of the best Android email apps (which would therefore work on Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG,...):

K-9 Mail: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9

Maildroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid

Aquamail: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail

SolMail: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daum.android.solmail

In your case, I'd recommend a pretty big screen. Big screen means bigger keyboard and more of the email visible at the same time. From Samsung, the Galaxy S4 and the Note 3 are very good devices, sold in millions and well supported. You can't really go wrong with those.

Personally, I just bought the Google Nexus 5 (manufactured by LG) which is in my opinion the best price/performance ratio available currently in Thailand. You can get it for 16,900THB in Jaymart and others. Despite being cheaper than all the competition, it actually has a better camera, processor and screen than the latest Samsungs (Note 3 is about 23K, S4 20K) while having performances very close from the iPhone 5S (around 24K).

And if you have a friend in the US, he can buy it for you for $350 (yup, that's less than 12K THB).

Thanks for your input. Just got myself Q10 and I uses primarily for email and some available social media. But with iPhone 4S as secondary phone for all other stuff especially need to use LINE for Thai client.(gotta have it silly LINE since everyone seems to ask about this) stuffstustuddpost-116362-13891819544634_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app