Dealing With Timewasters and Lowballers When Selling Stuff.

H1w4yR1da

A long while ago, I had a friend who told me of his frustration after putting his Ducati Sport Classic up for sale. He was amazed at the amount of timewasting calls he recieved and meetings with tyrekickers and lowballers.

His quote was, as I recall "Put your bike up for sale if you want to meet a bunch <deleted>!".

At the time, I didn't appreciate what he was talking about.

But I do now!

During the past few months I've put some motorcycle equipment up for sale as well as some household appliances both on TV and B&S, and have been left shaking my head after dealing with some of the prospective buyers, all westerners I might add.

Here are some amusing and not so amusing stories.

1.Item for Sale- Textile motorcycle jacket. XXL/XXXL

I get a call from an Irish sounding lad who wants to try the jacket on before buying. Fair enough. I stress to him that I'm quite heavily-built and confirm he knows the jacket size. He's in agreement so I ride through rush hour traffic to Suanplu. He's not at home so I wait a few minutes and then I see a westerner approaching the apartments. The shocker is he is about 5'2'' and must weigh all of 100 lbs soaking wet. He tries it on and naturally it fits him like a tent. No sale of course.

2. Household appliance for sale.

The message is from a guy in Pattaya. He says he'll take it for a 1000 Bht less. I think about it and then agree. He arranges a Sunday pick up and I send him my address. He messages back saying he can't come until Monday. Okay but it'll have to be after work. We confirm.

A few hours before the time he calls and says he at another road with the same name but in a different part of town. I find this strange as the address I gave included the area, I mean Google Maps isn't a strange alien concept. He says he doesn't have time to get to me even though he still has a few hours. Ok, whatever...timewaster!

3. Superbike for sale.

I bring the bike through rush hour traffic as usual up to Thonglor Starbucks (naturally!) for the buyer to look over. He seems impressed but wants it in red. As I had supplied images in the ad showing it's color I found it a bit surprising but he seems eager for the bike. I say I'm flexible on the price due to the high mileage and we part on positive terms. He gets back to me saying he won't buy it due to the color and high mileage. Which were both shown clearly in the ad. A complete timewaster.

I bet there are those with better stories than mine. Let's hear them.

• Like 1

I think this is general all over the world. There will always be people asking for prices on things, they can in reality not afford...

One thing that is special for Thai-people is their need for "discount" when purchasing things. This is something that is somehow built into them. Not that it always gives them a good price, but it gives them a "happy" feeling.

In my eyes, it is very much a waste of time, since everybody knows the prices are inflated because of the "discount-need" before hand. But I think the concept is used, because it sometimes does give the seller a bit of extra money... and if there is something Thai-people love, then it is making "easy money" - or having the feeling they purchased something cheap.

Edited by khunpa

I think this is general all over the world. There will always be people asking for prices on things, they can in reality not afford...

One thing that is special for Thai-people is their need for "discount" when purchasing things. This is something that is somehow built into them. Not that it always gives them a good price, but it gives them a "happy" feeling.

In my eyes, it is very much a waste of time, since everybody knows the prices are inflated because of the "discount-need" before hand. But I think the concept is used, because it sometimes does give the seller a bit of extra money... and if there is something Thai-people love, then it is making "easy money" - or having the feeling they purchased something cheap.

Not sure about the other two, but I'm confident that the *Irish* guy wasnt Thai. OP ?

Not sure about the other two, but I'm confident that the *Irish* guy wasnt Thai. OP ?

Well, as said... it is all the same, all over the world. But IMO, Thai people do have a special need for "discounts"... So if you are selling something a bit expensive here, a good rule is always to add a bit extra onto the price. Because you will in 99% of cases, be asked for a discount.

Edited by khunpa

What do you mean? Cos of his small female size of 5'2 and 100lbs? He spoke with an irish accent i am sure.

Actually lowballing might work, myself i would not try it. I might go a bit under the asking price but not extreme.

The examples you named are crazy, i have sold a bike and loads of gym equipment, but i usually dont put up a high price so I won't go any lower as said.

I've sold dozens, if not hundreds of items/bikes/household stuff etc through private advertising. I figured out years ago that 50% at least are timewasters so I don't go out of my way for them. If we agree a time for inspection, then it will be a time that suits me, and I won't wait a minute longer if I want to be somewhere else. Piss me off once you get a second chance. Piss me off again and you're ignored.

Back in Farangland I much prefer to use ebay or similar.

Garage sales are the worst. If you have an item ticketed at 50 cents, someone will ask if you'll take 25 cents. Garage sales attract the hyenas of society.

I only endured the nightmare of selling stuff at a car boot sale once. It was like bloody Bartertown from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I kept expecting Angry Anderson to pop up at any minute.

My two particular favourites were being offered 10p for a hair dryer that was only 6 months old and 2, yes 2p for a set of headphones. I kid you not. 2 frigging p. <deleted>.

• Like 2

Last year i searched on Graigslist for a labrador puppy in BKK. Found some ads, one would give the pup for free if i would sure take care of well. He sent me a long letter, wait i will find it, i pasted it below. I replied him that i sure would take care of them well and so and so and then he wanted me to pay 200$ (or something like that) to send it in a box to me!

Another ad on craigslist, i will paste below again.

This guy Vin Johnson asked me 1000 questions as well and sent some cute pics of the dogs. He was in BKK he said first but when i wanted a dog they were in Myanmar he wrote. I had to pay for shipping and then they would be delivered. Then i new i was being scammed and checked his IP number which was somewhere in Florida. I checked that area on Google maps and wrote him some story that i knew who and where he was and i would come to get the dog myself in Florida! He never replied again, then i checked his ip with google and found he was a famous scammer, loads of bad reviews i found about him.

Anyway we still don't have our labrador and we don't need one anymore. Now we walk the dogs of neighbours who are to lazy to do that and that's perfect.

They wasted a lot of time from me and my wife and i wonder how many people would really pay and have been waiting for their puppy to be delivered by a courier!

Dear friend,
greetings and thanks for interest in my
puppies .Let me tell you about my female and male puppies Shanie and
Harley.I know you will love these puppies .They are 14weeks old now
and registered and they are currently on all shots,when ever i call
them up they will run up to me like a three year old kid .They have
been raised in our home with lots of love and care, and they are well
socialized with a wonderful temperament,they are vet checked and up to
date on all shots and are very fine among kids and other pets like
dogs,cats.birds etc, they will make very fine house pets.they are
just too adorable.

These little puppies love to run and play,they like to stop and smell
flowers.They are a pleasure to have around,They are very
friendly,playful and has a very good behavior and very good
temperament.These puppies are eager to learn, fearless, friendly, and
sociable. their high energy level may overwhelm new owners who are not
prepared for it.My puppies are not prone to excessive barking, but
their tendency to bark at suspicious activity makes them excellent
house pets.They love to be cuddle, but they are not overly demanding
of attention.

I am giving Shanie and Harley out for adoption because their mum was
knock down by a car and i don't have much time to spend with them
now.I am having a new occupation that takes much of my time,so i want
to send them to any loving and caring home,that they
will be spoiled rotten with love.

They will bring so much love and joy to your family,you will get just
the best from these puppies.They need lots of love and affection,lots
of kisses and hugs,sure you will give
all this to them ? Health wise their health is guarantee as they had
proper veterinary check ups.worming and they took the following
vitamins.3V-Caps for development of Skin and Coat,NEW Glycol-Flex
Stage 1 for Development of Joints. Before you adopt Harley and Shanie
i will like to know the following from you

1-Have you been around dogs or is your first experience?
2-Are you a pet lover or simply a fan ?
3- Do you have children because these puppies has high affection for
children?
4-we will like you to describe your home environment?
5-where are you located ?

I am asking all this questions simply for the well being of the bundle
of beauty you are about to bring into your home.

Thanks and waiting for your reply soon.

Mr. Damian M

This one is from Vin Johnson,

Subject: Labrador retriever puppies for sale..

Thanks for the mail of interest as concern of my puppies,
their names are
Female:::::Paris
Male:::::::Max

They are , vet checked and vaccinated,
home and toilet trained and will be coming along with all their
necessary papers and 1year health guarantee and others like, eating
boll, pet blanket, play toy and food menu, they go along with other
home pets and love the company of kids mostly, very friendly and
socialize, they are very healthy, smart and playful,
We are looking for families (an individual is a family of one though)
who can commit to a forever home for the dogs, and seem to us to have
the right stuff to love our puppies. We claim the right to deny any
prospective person our puppies and will always choose the home we feel
is best for the puppies. Please do let me know the following:
-Do you have a vet center near by?
-Do you promise to give them all the
love and attention?-How soon do you need them?
-How many puppies will you be taking?
-Were precisely are you located???
-A proof that you will be able to take care of the puppies?
-Do you have space in your apartment for the dog to play around
?-How many of you live in your home?
sorry for too many questions just that I will really like to know the
kind of home my babies will be going to ok,
Immediately i get all that requested, I shall then determine the
family to give my puppies to. Your case will be treated immediately you
respond positively and promptly.
We will allow just a day for that and will let you know by the end of
the day if you will be the one to take home the puppies. Hope you do
get back asap and exercise some patience while we decide on who to be
these puppies next parents.
We shall be waiting to read from you soonest.

My regards to your family.

I've got a car for sale at the moment (the one in my avatar).

The first words of every single call (except one) so far, 'I haven't got the finance yet but ....'.

I've learnt to reply with 'give me a call when you've got it approved'. None have called back yet.

Oh yeah, the (except one)? ..... a dealer who offered me $12,000 for a car advertised at $28,000 !

• Like 1

Last week i discovered some new big motorbike shops at the corner of Rama 5 and Nakhon inn road. I stopped there and asked some shops if they had a big scooter for me. Some couldnt speak enlgish but then one shop had a used black Honda Forza for sale. I checked it and had 3 sales with me who all couldn't speak english. It was 8 months old, 2500 km, perfect condition and for 120k baht. I examined everything and it all looked good. Then i saw the backwheel discbrake which was really badly damaged from at least driving 15.000 km. I showed this to the sales and then pointed at the 2500 km on the clock. They looked at eachother and 1 walked off and the others become very silent suddenly.

Don't try to cheat me khrab, setting back the km-clock and cheating this farang is not going to work....i 'm a motorbike expert.

Shared a house with two ladies in Sydney a few years back, and one of the conditions when I moved out was that I pay for an ad to find another flatmate. This clown rings up wanting to speak to the girls, clearly excited by the fact that he would be sharing with two women. When I told him he would need to deal with me initially, he proceeded to give me graphic details of the sexual positions he'd like to try with the girls. When that didn't get the response he wanted, he told me what he'd like to do with me, clearly expecting me to start screaming into the phone instead of laughing - takes all kinds I guess. I asked him if he'd said all he planned to say and got a very limp 'Yes...', at which point I hung up. When I told the girls, I was magically absolved of any further responsibility for finding them a new housemate and no-one seemed overly keen on picking up the phone. Like dead mice and credit card bills, it seems there are some things women just dont want to know about. ;)

Moral of the story - there are worse things on the other end of a phone line than lowballers and tyre-kickers.

This clown rings up wanting to speak to the girls, clearly excited by the fact that he would be sharing with two women.

How do you know he was excited mate? Was he honking a horn and thrown buckets of confetti around? biggrin.png

Actually an old gf of mine back in the UK used to work in a lingerie shop and she'd frequently get blokes ringing up asking about buying " something for the missus" and describing their "wifes" unfeasibly large DDDD breasts while obviously having a quick Agatha Wristy over the phone.

When your selling you will always run into those types of people, Number one to the OP never go out of your way to show an item to someone, not a great idea.

The people that ask me to hold am item for them (must) leave a deposit, non refundable if they do not purchase the item, If they are really interested in buying it they will leave a holding fee, If they are not or do not have the money to leave a holding fee, they are wasting your time. look for another buyer!

Cheers

In Blackpool they are called the Blackpool sand hoppers, they come up out of the sand and grab your wallet and disappear as quickly as they arrived.

There is a brigade of similar Pattaya sand hoppers who thrive on those who for one reason or another have to leave these fair shores rather quickly they seem to have a symbiotic relationship with these unfortunate people in that they are always there to bid at at least a third of the market value of a departing ex Pats goods and chattels.

Who are these Pattaya sand hoppers, well Its not the Thais who gather like vulture waiting for those who need do sell quickly, its other European ex Pats

You think selling stuff is bad, try renting rooms to people!!

You get shit from all sides, first the owner then the renter, Wife finds customer for room owner says she will meet them to give keys, Wife has never met the owner only spoken so doesnt know what she looks like.

Wife appears with potential tenant with money in hand to pay as deposit, owner nowhere to be seen??

Wife calls owner , owner says stuck in traffic by "mob", Wife waits 30 minutes with custome rand calls again, Owner still in traffic coming soon.

This goes on for 2 hours, then owner says cant make it.............Turns out owner was already at the condo unit but DIDNT like the "look" of the tenant!!!

<deleted> .............people in general.

Next....

American customer, rents room then says after 2 months into 12 month contract, i have to go home urgent. Wife points out "sorry you break contract" there will be lost depositi UNLESS you can find us a new customer to replace you, then w e will return it. He leaves trashing room cuts aircon pipes curtain all furniture fridge etc etc then 6 weeks later re appears trying to rent in the same building...........Police will be visiting him very soon as he owes the owner 80k in damages.

as soon as they start haggling tell them someone else is also interested but you will let them know. they will usually give up and just get it if they want it.

funny though was when these guys came up to pick up a fridge i had sold to some lady. three rough looking bumpkins and they go to take the fridge when i ask them where is the money... they say the owner did not give them money for the fridge... so they have to call her to confirm that she hasn't already paid us... but miraculously they have 15k baht (yeah right) between the three of them. nice try boys!