O-A (Retirement) Application - Sydney

Hi folks.

Wondering if anyone has recently submitted an application for an O-A long stay (Retirement) Visa at the Thai Consulate-General in Sydney?

I have obtained and readied all documents as required (medical certificate, police clearance, bank statement/letter of guarantee, photos. photocopies etc) and now the only remaining thing to do is to have them notarised.

Living in Queensland, the Sydney Consulate is a thousand kilometres away (Brisbane is an Honorary Consulate only) and my application will therefore be conducted by post so, wanting to ensure I get it right the first time and despite having their website at my fingertips and thinking I know their requirements parrot-fashion, I've called them on a couple of occasions to confirm exactly what is needed.

Sydney's requirement is that the documents be organised and notary-bound into four sets - one set of originals and three sets of copies (this seems to vary depending on which mission in the world the application is made at ... but that's for another thread).

The first time I called I was advised that every single original and copy needed to be signed and witnessed before a Notary Public then bound and further notarised as sets. This does seem a little odd because I can't fathom what my own signature at the bottom of an already signed medical certificate or police clearance could possibly substantiate!.

Anyway, on a subsequent call, I was told that this was not necessary and that the Notary Public only needed to do the binding and notarise the complete sets. (BTW, this is also how it is worded on the Consulate's website).

Whilst this may seem a rather insignificant question to put forward here, and some may ask why I don't simply get every page signed and be done with, keep in mind that my local Notary Public charges per document and that there are, in total, 32 pages (four sets of eight) to this application. Apart from that, I wouldn't wish to be messing him around unnecessarily.

Again, not standing at their counter, I need to get it exactly right first time but don't seem to be able to get a straight answer from them so, if anyone has recently completed the same application (in Sydney), I'd be grateful for any advice on how you eventually notarised/presented your own. Thanks.

Edited by Songhua

You do not need an O/A visa to retire in Thailand. Is there a particular reason for making this choice ?

You could avoid all the O/A hoops !

Just ask here !

Thanks for the reply Sceptict11.

I've mulled over which route to take for over a year now and, for my own reasons have decided not to tie up 800,000 Baht in Thailand at this stage. With the O-A, I am able to leave it where it is for almost two years.

Also, whilst the costs of obtaining the O-A certainly add up!, the idea and convenience of an almost two year stay with only one exit and 90 day reports appeals.

I would do it the way they say to do it. Reading info on website it seems they want each set notarized as certified copies as a set. And the originals bound as a set by notary.

Seems like an elaborate (and expensive) process.

However I agree if the OP wishes to obtain an O/A from Sydney he has little choice but to meet their requirements.

Thanks very much ubonjoe.
I'm still reading it as four bound sets and would have no problem doing so (whatever makes them happy) but the ambiguity lies in whether each and every document and copy needs to be signed - which is what I was advised when I first called them.

From the Sydney Consulate website:

Important note:
1. When you have prepared all the original documents as required above, you must then make 3 copies of each document. (Photos and signatures must not be photocopied)
2. After you have made copies of all the documents, you must separate the documents into 4 sets. Within these sets, arrange the documents in the order given above. All together you will have 1 set of the original documents and 3 sets of copies of the original documents.
3. After the 4 sets of documents have been prepared, you must then take them to a Notary Public to bind and notarized each set of documents (the documents must only be binded by the Notary Public).

I would say just the bound sets need to be notarized.

Thanks again for your quick response ubonjoe.

I think that's the way I'll go with it unless somebody tells me they had theirs returned or something.

We're traveling on 5th Feb so I'd really like to see the Notary Public before the Xmas/NY madness and the likelihood he's taking holidays.

You do not need an O/A visa to retire in Thailand. Is there a particular reason for making this choice ?

Just ask here !

I've mulled over which route to take for over a year now and, for my own reasons have decided not to tie up 800,000 Baht in Thailand at this stage. With the O-A, I am able to leave it where it is for almost two years.

Also, whilst the costs of obtaining the O-A certainly add up!, the idea and convenience of an almost two year stay with only one exit and 90 day reports appeals.

I appreciate that you might have other considerations, but bear in mind that there is the income method to extend your retirement visa. That is what I use and I do not have any money in any Thai bank. There is no need to deposit, season, etc that 800k Baht. You can arrive on a tourist visa or even just a stamp-on-arrival and go through the whole process with the immigration office in Thailand.

There's another thread running in here which goes into the in's and out's of an Aussie getting the needed income letter from the Oz embassy in Thailand. With that letter each year the retirement extension is a breeze smile.png

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

When you say we does that mean your wife. Unless she is also getting a OA visa she will be making border runs every 90 days because she will be getting a multiple entry non-o visa. She will not be eligible to get a dependent extension for your OA visa entry.

Seems you are reading the instructions correctly.

Four sets of bound documents . one comprising originals plus three copy sets.

Amazing !smile.png

Yes, thankyou Sceptict11 !!

wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

You are welcome

Although I dont know why I am speaking to an Aussie after you lot robbed us of the Ashes clap2.gif

• Like 2

When you say we does that mean your wife. Unless she is also getting a OA visa she will be making border runs every 90 days because she will be getting a multiple entry non-o visa. She will not be eligible to get a dependent extension for your OA visa entry.

She's Thai, ubonjoe.

She's Thai, ubonjoe.

That good so is mine. I don't think you mentioned that before.

She's Thai, ubonjoe.
That good so is mine. I don't think you mentioned that before.
My bad. Apologies for any confusion.

Just ask here !

When I first came I did the O-A. It wasn't as onerous as some people make it out to be (plus the Thai consulate in Dubai seemed to feel it was the only way to go). My doctor signed the medical statement with no problem. Someone in the HR office where I worked got me through the police report without any hassle and then I got everything notarized at the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi. Probably not the easiest way to go about it, but it wasn't that difficult.

• Like 1

Wow you seem to require to much. I would come to Thailand on a Tourist Visa and then decide what you want to do, maybe get a visa that would allow you to retire here without all the leaglese.

You are making things to complicated.

I have to agree, if OP wants an O visa with retirement extension, rather than extension based upon marriage, apply in Thailand. My experience with Jomtien immigration was the process only took 30 minutes to convert from a 30 day tourist entry stamp for an O visa. As stated many times requires 800k in Thai bank account for 60 days for the first extension, when applying the following year for extension, 90 day seasoning.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

You don't need any of that rubish. Just go to the consulate in Brisbane and ask for a single entry Non O visa. Tell them that you want to extend it for retirement when you get to Thailand. They are really helpful and will tell you to pop back in an hour or so to collect it. All you need is a passport and some cash. If you need any directions send me a PM.

• Like 1

You don't need any of that rubish. Just go to the consulate in Brisbane and ask for a single entry Non O visa. Tell them that you want to extend it for retirement when you get to Thailand. They are really helpful and will tell you to pop back in an hour or so to collect it. All you need is a passport and some cash. If you need any directions send me a PM.

Yes, equally valid approach if easy for OP to get to BNE.

• Like 1

No. The OP is contemplating getting 32 documents notarised and the Notary Public who charges per document. He doesn't require any of that. Nor does he require an OA visa. He also states that he is in Queensland about 1000 KM from Sydney. That would put his very near my home on the Sunshine Coast. He could get a Non O single entry from Brisbane for $90 and a couple of passport photos and save himself hundreds of dollars in notarisation fees which he does not require.

• Like 1

Ten years ago, I began to try and get a OA visa in Sydney and after a frustrating week there, the girl who was my main contact at the consulate told me that every counsul general in the Foreign Service of Thailand could set his own rules as to what processes you had to go through to get the visa.

She told me that if was almost impossible in Sydney due to the requirements of the Consul General at the time. I don't know how often they change Consul Generals but if the current one is putting up such absurd requirements, perhaps he is the same one or one who inherited and adopted the requirements from before.

I finally gave up, came to Thailand on a tourist visa and applied in BKK for a non-immigrant O and was not required to have a police report. It took some days for them to process the paperwork and at the time, Chiang Mai wasn't online to BKK so they couldn't follow up. Now you can do the whole thing in Chiang Mai as well.

Tourist visa, to non-immO and then extension.

• Like 2

Once again, thanks to everyone for the replies.

I have to say, for me, the O-A application process has been slightly costly but not been particularly stressful. Indeed, my question re notarisation (the final and apparently most expensive step) has been the only one I've had throughout.

My situation:

I still have nine years validity on my passport.

Photos cost just a few dollars.

The application form used is the standard one although another short personal particulars form is also required for the O-A - but still easy to complete.

The police clearance certificate cost $39 and was obtained by filling in an online form (ten minutes), printing it and sending it off. It was received within a few days.

Although the pathology for my medical cost $60, my doctor also gave me an examination and bulk-billed (no cost to me). I didn't mind having a quick check-up anyhow.

I have more than the equivalent of 800,000 sitting in the bank, and the nice lady printed out a statement and letter of guarantee in less than five minutes at no cost. (I also receive a pension but chose to use the bank method).

I was able to do all photocopies myself at home.

I agree with posters that the O>Extension route is simpler to initiate but, in my own case, I'm lucky to have had the spare time recently and feel that the bit of running around for the O-A is a better option (for me).

I've lived in Thailand before, know I'm staying for the long haul and will be travelling out and in a couple of times during the first year.

The extra costs of obtaining the O-A (which is multiple entry) appear to provide some convenience .... I can keep my money where it is for almost two years, there's no trekking to banks, embassies and Immigration (other than 90 day' reports), and I'm able to re-enter on the last day of the twelve months to receive another twelve months.

This may not be for everyone but seems to suit my own personal circumstances.

Edited by Songhua

• 8 months later...

Looking to put a application in, got a question about the police clearance, looked on the internet, is it ok to use one of the agents which are quicker or go through the AFP website which says it takes 15 days, cheers