Thailand's 'red villages' eye Bangkok protests

webfact

Thailand's 'red villages' eye Bangkok protests
By Jonathan Head
BBC News, Udon Thani, Thailand

(BBC) The village of Nhong Huu Ling is an unremarkable rural community in north-eastern Thailand.

There are fields of vegetables, growing in the sandy soil, and clusters of fruit trees shading the houses.

Yet Nhong Huu Ling, just south-west of Udon Thani, now calls itself a "red village", as do thousands of others in the region, which is the heartland of support for the governing Pheu Thai party of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The declaration is little more than a symbolic statement of allegiance to the wider so-called red shirt movement that loosely incorporates the government's mass support base.

Villagers get together to share ideas on practical issues, like supporting small businesses or controlling illegal drug use. They also discuss politics. And these days, there is a lot to discuss.

On the day I visited the village head's house - with a giant-sized poster of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in ceremonial robes covering one wall - there was a heated discussion about the comments being made by the anti-government protest movement in Bangkok, in particular the call for the entire Shinawatra family to be forced to leave the country - a call that at one point had reduced Ms Yingluck to tears. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25426248

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-12-19

• Like 1

Did Head say anything about -these people do NOT do anything without reward ?????

Why didn't he tell the whole story, bent BBC reporter.

I said to my wife when it was broadcast yesterday. "Why doesn't the fool talk to the rural poor in the south. and ask them why they oppose Thaksin?"

Obviously his last few reports before this one were spent with the protesters who oppose Thaksin, so you could say he's already done that if you believe the protesters in Bangkok also represent the rural poor in the South. But a report from the South would be interesting...

Did Head say anything about -these people do NOT do anything without reward ?????

No, but he did cover the fact that 'these people' are disgusted by the idea that people think they've been bought by Thaksin.

'The loudest complaint I heard was about the allegation that the red shirts had been bought by the governing party. They were insulted by the notion that a few banknotes handed out during election time could induce them to give years of unwavering loyalty to Thaksin Shinawatra, and now his sister, Ms Yingluck.'

• Like 2

I said to my wife when it was broadcast yesterday. "Why doesn't the fool talk to the rural poor in the south. and ask them why they oppose Thaksin?"

I had the same thought.

And the reporter doesn't even have to travel to the south; hundreds of rubber farmers are camping at Rajadamnern Nok avenue.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifThaksin Shinawatra 18..jpg

I presume this is a similar representation of Dear Leader in ceremonial robes as seen on the inside walls of houses in Red Villages by our Headman from Auntie BBC.

In most houses in the land a picture or pictures of someone else, more loved, in ceremonial robes, is more commonly displayed.

There's an awful lot you can do with Photoshop smile.png

Fair play to Mr Head on this article... It's a bit more level than some of his previous work... This is evident when he makes mention of the red shirt protester's brother who was shot dead in 2010 - he could have played that one out a lot worse than he did.

The article itself is hardly siding with the red shirts, it's basically pointing out the bleeding obvious.

The point about being paid off and being insulted, what did you expect? For them to be all smug about it? Again, it doesn't go into some bleeding heart article spouting fear and indignation.

It'd be nice for a bit of perspective for him to go down south and have a chat with the farmers down there - just to put it into some kind of perspective.

Tell the whole story about what?

How 'rewards' (vote-buying) will go away if Thaksin goes away?

How 'rewards' (corruption) will go away if voting goes away?

Grow up. dry.png.pagespeed.ce.iCXmiFQmCf.png

• Like 2

Fair play to Mr Head on this article... It's a bit more level than some of his previous work... This is evident when he makes mention of the red shirt protester's brother who was shot dead in 2010 - he could have played that one out a lot worse than he did.

The article itself is hardly siding with the red shirts, it's basically pointing out the bleeding obvious.

The point about being paid off and being insulted, what did you expect? For them to be all smug about it? Again, it doesn't go into some bleeding heart article spouting fear and indignation.

It'd be nice for a bit of perspective for him to go down south and have a chat with the farmers down there - just to put it into some kind of perspective.

While he was talking to the adoring fans of DL, he should have gone to see the ones waiting for their rice money.

Yep. Exactly. There's nothing in the article that anyone could really be surprised by. It's just one half of the story. The other side was covered by Head's other recent reports interviewing anti-govt protesters in Bangkok, although, yeah, it'd be interesting to see a report from the South too.

I'd like to see an example of one of Head's reports that people consider biased though. A lot of people are blaming him for the BBC's coverage in 2010... when he was in Turkey.

fab4 - how many of these photos of Abhisit and his wife are adorned on the walls of those who support the Democrat family?

rolleyes.gif

I neither know. nor care, nor is it relevant.

It is when you use it to justify your point...

I'm sorry, did I mention numbers of photo's of Thaksin on the wall? No, I didn't, I merely pointed out the attire worn by Thaksin in that photo is traditionally worn by PM's. So no justification, no relevance, no interest.

Don't bother to reply for all the above reasons.

The 'red villages' may soon be empty again with a trek to Bangkok. Another topic today has k. Nattawut saying

"""If Suthep Thuabsuban of the PDRC scraps the election, I will be here in Bangkok [with an army of red shirts] to say that we want to have the vote. ""