Is it just me or does Draft Beer in Thailand taste like ...

David48

Is it just me or does Draft Beer in Thailand taste like ... watered down might be one expression.

Our%20sponsor%20%28ThaiBev%29%20helped%2beer_girl.jpg

Same refreshment ... just different delivery vehicles ... biggrin.png

I like a beer ... wrong ... I LOVE a beer (hot climate / cold larger).

And, where I come from ... draft beer is good, often better then the bottled variety.

Beer off the keg at the Breakie Creek Hotel (limited audience for that one) is excellent.

Just that every-time I try it here, draft Beer (Larger) ... it tastes watered down.

To the beer aficionados out there ... is it just my taste buds that deceive me?

This isn't a discussion about the relative merits if Thai Beers in general taste palatable.

Just DRAFT BEER ... Santa-Getty-e1356136368755-300x128.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't laugh but I find the second or third one better if served in the same glass, could it be the detergent used ?

I've got a little stock pile of Belgian beer waiting for Boxing Day, I don't think the Belgians can make a bad beer of they tried :)

Nice to hear that you enjoy our beers we only have 1150 registerd brands at the moment .

All beer of the tap is watered , has to be to keep the chill in the tap line ,

Venues vary as per the amount of supply and the intake /outake to supply the consumer.

I never enjoy tapped beer , never will as the amount of co2 will vary in different establishments

depending on the amount of flow . Can make you feel ill sometimes.

David, I was trying not to get homesick, but your mention of the Brekky Creek pub has got to me. Although I hear its not what it used to be and has gone very yuppy and expensive. However back to Thailand. I have just discovered an excellent bar/bistro in BKK that sells really COLD DRAFT LEO for 55 baht a pint ! Its only about 100 metres from Central Shopping Mall front entrance at Lat Phrao on the main road heading south. I think its called POSTCARD, but its next to a coffee shop called ETCETERA which is well signposted. Best beer in Bangkok

David, I was trying not to get homesick, but your mention of the Brekky Creek pub has got to me. Although I hear its not what it used to be and has gone very yuppy and expensive. However back to Thailand. I have just discovered an excellent bar/bistro in BKK that sells really COLD DRAFT LEO for 55 baht a pint ! Its only about 100 metres from Central Shopping Mall front entrance at Lat Phrao on the main road heading south. I think its called POSTCARD, but its next to a coffee shop called ETCETERA which is well signposted. Best beer in Bangkok

Yep, the Breakie Creek ... T-bone steaks, Salads and Pots of XXXX out of the wooden keg.

But yes, apparently, no longer a working man's drinking hole and up-market and expensive.

My sister doesn't like beer, but it was one of the few places she would and enjoy the amber liquid.

I don't often get up Lat Phrao ... but if I am ... I'll drop in for a beer ... thanks for the tip ... thumbsup.gif

It's not unlikely that they haven't bled the pipes properly after washing them the night before, but this would only affect the first one or two drinks. So possibly a bit adulterated - agree that it tastes watery until after the fourth or fifth shot from the tequila girl. Drink, I mean.

Never cared much for XXXX, but went to the brewery in Brisbane and drank the pre-canned stuff in the hospitality room. Damn it was nice.

True: XXXX went on a big PR drive in California many years ago with the slogan "I can feel a Four-X coming on." Bomnbed badly. The biggest selling condom in the US is, you guessed it, XXXX.

All beer of the tap is watered , has to be to keep the chill in the tap line ,

Venues vary as per the amount of supply and the intake /outake to supply the consumer.

I never enjoy tapped beer , never will as the amount of co2 will vary in different establishments

depending on the amount of flow . Can make you feel ill sometimes.

No.

Beer Conduits Multiplex Beer Accessory

Multiplex offers a variety of beer beverage conduits. All beer and glycol lines are color coded, stress resistant tubing measuring 0.375" ID x 0.50" OD with a 0.062 wall thickness. Multipar insulated beverage tubing bundles are foil wrapped, covered with 1" thick insulation and an outer PVC protective wrap to provide the most efficient beverage conduit available.

http://www.manitowocbeverage.com/us/products/ice-beverage/by-brand/multiplex

post-187908-0-71913200-1387457887_thumb.

It's not unlikely that they haven't bled the pipes properly after washing them the night before, but this would only affect the first one or two drinks. So possibly a bit adulterated - agree that it tastes watery until after the fourth or fifth shot from the tequila girl. Drink, I mean.

Never cared much for XXXX, but went to the brewery in Brisbane and drank the pre-canned stuff in the hospitality room. dam_n it was nice.

True: XXXX went on a big PR drive in California many years ago with the slogan "I can feel a Four-X coming on." Bomnbed badly. The biggest selling condom in the US is, you guessed it, XXXX.

Now that definitely is a marketing mistake....cheesy.gif

David48.....My god is the Brekkie creek hotel still standing??? What a pub that one is. best beer and steak in Brissy...

I think it's owned by the same owners as Cavs at Labrador, and that's great too....or it used to be.

A small diversion away from the topic to answer the query ...

bch_6.jpgbchotel.png

Now don't go and get all teary eyed on my now reminiscing ... crying.gif

David48.....My god is the Brekkie creek hotel still standing??? What a pub that one is. best beer and steak in Brissy...

I think it's owned by the same owners as Cavs at Labrador, and that's great too....or it used to be.

Bloody Queenslanders Bloody XXXX

Please learn to make a decent beer ,

Stop botttling the Brisbane river whistling.gif

Look at the Chang beer at the first pic, there is no foam at all!

I stopped drinking any beer out of a glass in the Thai bars/restaurants because i don't like to drink a glass of p*ss. For me the beer has to have a good layer of foam and that should last for at least 10 minutes.

Actually i only drink Belgian beer when availlable, guaranteed no hangover and a real full taste. In Thailand i drink beer with ice.

Now don't go and get all teary eyed on my now reminiscing ...

The photo, and mention of the steaks at the Creek, and the front bar beer has done me in for the day...On top of being frozen, I'm now maudlin...You're a heartless bas*@rd!sad.png

A small diversion away from the topic to answer the query ...

bch_6.jpgbchotel.png

Thailand is rather famous for having some of the lowest quality beers in SE Asia. Why do you think they are so scared of ASEAN opening up the markets? Why do you think Thailand has completely defied the signing of the 6th ASEAN charter, where in 2010 they agreed to the duty free importation of all alcoholic beverages from throughout ASEAN member nations? How many Bintang beers have you seen lately in your local supermarket? It appears the power that be have prevented this from taking place, even though it was signed into law in 2010, and was in effect since January of 2011.

As long as it's a cold, very cold beer make that, I'm happy just like Santa. As I write this I'm enjoying a nice can of Carlton draught. Who btw make excellent commercials.

a draught out of a can? ermm.gif

Better than out of a carton Naam.

Don't tell us Aussies how we should enjoy our beer.thumbsup.gif

^^ Speaking for a Draught Beer ... and the occasional slight that we Aussies aren't cooth enough.

I counter that argument with ...

TURN IT UP LOUD!

Hard to believe that was more then 6 years ago.

How fast time flies when you drink beer.

Some loose hours, some days or months ... I apparently have forgotten entire years ... facepalm.gif

Meanwhile, back in Thailand ... has anyone gone out today and tested the watered down Draft Beer theory of mine?

Thailand is rather famous for having some of the lowest quality beers in SE Asia. Why do you think they are so scared of ASEAN opening up the markets? Why do you think Thailand has completely defied the signing of the 6th ASEAN charter, where in 2010 they agreed to the duty free importation of all alcoholic beverages from throughout ASEAN member nations? How many Bintang beers have you seen lately in your local supermarket? It appears the power that be have prevented this from taking place, even though it was signed into law in 2010, and was in effect since January of 2011.

Oh i see, i thought that Chang beer was one of the better ones though, it had some European award for good beer.

But to be honest, i don't drink beer at all anymore in Thailand. After the 2nd glass i always get a headache that becomes stronger untill the next day. When i drink a glass of water next to a beer it is a little better but i can't drink much (like in Europe) or sure the headache will follow.

Drinking whisky with water and ice goes better but also then i can't drink much or the headache will come.

So now i rarely drink alcohol in Thailand, i can't be bothered though, i loose weight easy now and also save money as the beer is far overpriced here. Good whitebeer costs like 10 times more here as in Europe and if i drink like i am used to then it will cost a lot. Hoegaarden 120 baht for 25 cl is extreme high. I pay 20 baht for a half litre at home in the bottleshop.

US beer is the worst tasting crap, so anything is a step up. Mexican made Corona are the best there. The Euro beer loses something in the long journey, like flavor and freshness.

Wow... Going with US beer as being the worst and justifying by saying Corona is better... Sad to say, you've lost all credibility :P

As for tap beer in Thailand, If they're using Carbon Dioxide as the gas in the beer lines, there's little wonder the beer goes flat so quickly. Tap beers - at least back home in Australia - use a blend of Carbon Dioxide (55%) and Nitrogen (45%) called Cellamix.

But I'm sure there's more than one reason for the differences we notice here compared to back home.