Where to buy a healthy dog?

Valjean

A few weeks ago a girl I know bought a long haired chihuahua or some such thing very small dog. First time I laid eyes right after she bought it the poor puppy did not look healthy. She was caring for it fine, the dog was just sick and within 2 weeks was dead. She needs a new dog.

Does anyone have recommendations where to get healthy, well-breed, puppies from a reputable breeder?

Why not consider a young adult that needs a home from one of the shelters run by farangs? Many of the dogs have been there for a while - long enough for any potential problems to show up. Most Thais don't want a Thai street dog, of course, but often the shelters have poodles and whatever as well. I'm going to look for a new dog myself at one on Saturday. Help out the girl, the dog, and yourself (good karma!). What area do you live in?

Excellent choice PMK, excellent. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Why not consider a young adult that needs a home from one of the shelters run by farangs? Many of the dogs have been there for a while - long enough for any potential problems to show up. Most Thais don't want a Thai street dog, of course, but often the shelters have poodles and whatever as well. I'm going to look for a new dog myself at one on Saturday. Help out the girl, the dog, and yourself (good karma!). What area do you live in?

Thanks. Also, there is this shelter in Bangkok run by Thais with an excellent review: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/689212-a-thank-you-to-animal-rescue-kingdom/. One other thing I should have mentioned is the shelters get a lot of puppies as well - probably most not so cute - I know that's an issue with Thai girls - but it's worth a trip to look around. The dog of her dreams might just be there, looking for love like the rest of us wink.png .

Just a warning! If the death of her last puppy was from Parvo, it's a very contagious and deadly disease especially in young puppies and has a long "shelf life" even after the pet has been removed

Puppies should also be vaccinated against Parvo at 6 weeks old. It doesn't give 100% protection, but it's way better than nothing.

We have 4 dogs, want one smile.png

Seriously I agree getting a dog out of a shelter or finding a stray that seems to be in good health, but was put out by their owner (unfortunately it happens a lot here) is a blessing.

I adopted a dog from one of those beggars on Sukhumvit Road. He was only 3 weeks or so when I got him. He's over a year now and a total pain in the butt like all puppies, but he's a loving boy.

• Like 2

If youdefinately want a dog of a specific breed, watch the large farms as a potential risk. We sell out husky and Yorkie pups bred from other know males and they are Whelped inside, raised inside, and

temperment is different from a pup from an outside pen, also no ticks, and have wellness checkups and shots on time, as these are TKC registered. This is something to look at how pup was treated and environment as well, people like us sell pampered pets and not an item from the shelf. Good luck on your search. What area are you from, as we know several other home breeders, who will show you just what you want or looking for, let me know if I can help, we are in the Rangsit area, not far from Future Park!

How uplifting to see Monk post here. Thank you, Buddha.
Dude, that's just plain insulting. If you're here to just insult people why don't you go somewhere else?

That's a good question! Some people look good physically but have got a sick heart!

If you are to buy a puppy buy it from a reputable breeder. A friend put me onto a farang guy who runs a kennel here in Bangkok. Unfortunately he only breeds Labrador Retrievers. Where it sounds like you are looking for a smaller dog I will still give you advice I found when I was researching breeders.

1) Never buy from a market. Typically, the puppies are not vaccinated and it only takes one sick puppy to spread disease right through all the other puppies.

2) Make sure the breeder guarantees against problems in the breed. The breeder I bought our Lab from gave me a 2 year guarantee on his hips, joints and eyes.

3) Buy from a breeder who is active in the breed/show ring. These breeders pay money to enter the shows so they can select and breed the most beautiful dogs. They are actively trying to improve the breed. I see this as being the difference between a proper kennel and a puppy farm.

Our breeder kept in contact with us even after we took our puppy home. I was very surprised when he rang me weeks afterwards to make sure the puppy was well and we were happy. Our dog is about 18 months old now. He has a fantastic nature and he is friends with everyone on our street. I am no way an expert in breeders here in Thailand but I was really happy with the service I received. I am sure our breeder will not mind me listing him here. Premier Labradors

Edited by Jordan Russell

Adoption of a street dog is a good option and we all know there are plenty out there that need a good home. I did not adopt because I have a young family and I was concerned about the breeding that had gone into a street dogs. Street dogs need to be tuff to survive on the streets of Bangkok and this can often come with an aggressive streak. It is confounded by the fact that many have ‘Thai Ridgeback’ in the mix. I have a close friend that adopted and when I first met the dog (as a puppy) he growled at me as I went to pet him. Maybe he was just a good judge of bad character or he was having a bad day. I told my friend to be careful with this dog. The dog is comfortable with me now but he got out of his yard about a month ago and attacked another smaller dog and killed it. In saying that I realize a pure bred dog (especially certain breeds) can also be aggressive. I just figured I had a better chance buying a dog where I knew the typical nature of the breed. I am happy with my choice. I do not want to put you off the idea of adoption but be very careful with your choice. There are hundreds of people out there that have adopted and they are very happy. Thus, I agree it is still a very good option but don’t go in blind.

We have a pedigree Doberman and I would recommend the breeder to anyone. You have to buy a puppy from a reputable breeder in Thailand or you are just asking for trouble.

Its not safe to buy puppies from markets, dog shows etc in Thailand. My wife bought a Chihuahua from a dog show in Big C and it had Parvovirus. Parvovirus is a deadly lethal infection that kills dogs. Its also very contagous so if you have other dogs or kids be aware.

post-82234-0-30824700-1387679290_thumb.j

Just a warning! If the death of her last puppy was from Parvo, it's a very contagious and deadly disease especially in young puppies and has a long "shelf life" even after the pet has been removed It is important to clean all of the areas with a solution of diluted bleach. If the dog has been on surfaces that cant be cleaned with bleach then you have to let the shelf life of parvo virus run full term. Parvo virus can last 1 month on indoor surfaces, 5 months in sunny outdoor areas, and 7 months in shaded areas. Remember parvo can also be carried on your shoes and clothes. It is not airborne so it cant be spread by the wind. Parvo is one of the most common diseases in puppies that are purchased from "puppy farms". Just be careful!

Very good advice. Good Post

The Vets tell me NOT from the weekend market in BKK.

I don't know if they allow it at that market or not, but can make a pretty good guess. Never buy a puppy from a vendor that allows you to touch it without washing or disinfecting your hands. The odds are very, very high it has been infected with parvovirus.

OMG why would anyone "buy" a dog in Thailand? There are so many soi dogs that need

good homes, "adopt" one or two, take them to your vet to check them out and I guarantee

you will have "friends for life" and great karma too........

The girl bought a Chihuahua. When have you ever seen a dog as small as that loose in a soi ready to be grabbed up and looked after?

Thais tend to favor small dogs. My moobaan is full of poodles, chihuahuas, tshitzus, dachsunds, etc all owned by Thais. The Farang have Rotweileers, Dobermans, Goldens, Labradors, etc.

My vet tells me similar, "don't buy from a market". But when I ask where should I buy a dog from he says "a breeder" but then can't tell me where any are. Research on the Internet comes up with little and what I can find in hundreds of KM away. Little choice if you want a fun dog like my Golden or Black Lab. Never managed to train an ex-soi dog to play ball or frisbee. All they ever do is sleep, bark, poop and piss.

• Like 1

The following youtube video shows the rescue of a homeless dog in Los Angeles. As a K9 lover, I can relate the dog's situation to many many soi dogs in Thailand, who just want to belong somewhere other than on the streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xg2G_oINqc

The VDO has had over 10 million hits to this date. I must confess that about ten of those hits are mine.

For all creatures, great and small.

OMG why would anyone "buy" a dog in Thailand? There are so many soi dogs that need

good homes, "adopt" one or two, take them to your vet to check them out and I guarantee

you will have "friends for life" and great karma too........

The girl bought a Chihuahua. When have you ever seen a dog as small as that loose in a soi ready to be grabbed up and looked after?

Thais tend to favor small dogs. My moobaan is full of poodles, chihuahuas, tshitzus, dachsunds, etc all owned by Thais. The Farang have Rotweileers, Dobermans, Goldens, Labradors, etc.

The ex brought home two poodles years ago that were about to be abandoned because the Thai owners were moving. That happens a lot with those small dogs. One had to be put down. The other lived to about 10 and was a great companion.

Also, I've seen Shih Tzus at the wat I used to bring dog food to. Of course it's unlikely to find a bunch of nice pups on a back soi, but shelters do get them.

My vet tells me similar, "don't buy from a market". But when I ask where should I buy a dog from he says "a breeder" but then can't tell me where any are. Research on the Internet comes up with little and what I can find in hundreds of KM away. Little choice if you want a fun dog like my Golden or Black Lab. Never managed to train an ex-soi dog to play ball or frisbee. All they ever do is sleep, bark, poop and piss.

Smartest dog I ever raised was a stray that a nearby construction crew could not afford to pay the vet for when she was run over. She loved to play with a ball, but mostly I enjoyed watching her antics outsmarting the other dogs. She eventually packed up and left for a neighbour's house where the treats were better!

If you wanted a Labrador you should talk with my breeder. Even if you wanted a Golden I am sure he would know where to go. He is well connected at the dog shows here. His advice to me was free and generous. When I first contacted him he had already sold all his puppies. He told me even if I did not buy a dog from him please stay in contact and ask as many questions as possible. He said it was such an important decision and he did not want me making a mistake. He wasn't pushing his dogs because he had nothing to sell. After the third phone call to him with a list of questions I knew I was onto a good thing so I decided to wait on his next litter. I am really happy I did! This guy is an Australian so there are no language problems and he understands what farungs want.

I also talked to him last year. Very helpful guy. He damn well should be--when he charges 40,000 baht for a puppy (just like the Thai "breeders")

When you tell any of them you don't want a 'show dog'--just a family pet--you'll get the same answer: "no hab"...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for a lot of great advice. Info on parvo was good, I'd forgotten about that. I'd be that's what it was.

My-ex has always had a lot of dogs, up country at her family home and when we had a house in Bangkok. I'd agree that the Thai street dogs can be nice pets but they are a bit protective and barkers. Once they know you the are lovely dogs, it just takes a few visits and maybe come offering some treats. Within their pack, and with outside dogs, they are very attuned to their rank, and can get aggressive with other dogs.

I've had a golden before, it was me living in Bangkok I'd be a bit inclined away from a big dog in a condo. I big dog needs to get out and run, but that's just my perception.

And in the end I'm not the one making the decision here, I just offered to help them do better next time. We could drive anywhere in the greater Bangkok metro, that's not a big deal. Next month if she's ready to be looking again I'll follow up with a few of you who had suggestions. Visiting dog shows is a good idea - always fun to go look at all the dogs :-)

Thanks everyone for a helpful and lively topic. Happy New Year to you and your dogs!