Thai Police scrap '24 hour rule' for missing child complaint

webfact

Police Scrap '24 Hour Rule' For Missing Child Complaint
By Khaosod Online

24.jpg
A monk conducting a ceremony to calm the spirit of the 6 year old 'nong Cartoon' at the spot where she is believed to have been raped and murdered, 19 December 2013

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police have instructed local police stations across the country to abolish the mandatory 24 hour period distraught parents must wait before notifying the police of their missing children.

The change was implemented in the wake of the abduction case of a 6 year old girl which has shocked the Thai public in recent days. The girl, nicknamed nong Cartoon, was reportedly lured away by a homeless man from the parking lot of a country music concert in Bangkok.

The search effort for Cartoon was delayed by the regulation which allows the police to accept a missing child case only when the said child had gone missing for 24 hours.

However, the man accused of kidnapping nong Cartoon was later arrested and confessed to police that he had raped and murdered her in a secluded spot nearby shortly after he lured her away from the parking lot.

The police also urged the public to notify them of any trace of missing children via the hotline 1599.

Meanwhile, the police said they have not yet determined whether the human remains found in the crime scene belonged to Cartoon, but added that her parents confirmed that the clothes and other artifacts found nearby did indeed belong to the girl.

The police are also investigating the claims of the suspect, a man known simply as Mr. Nui, that he had also raped a total of 8 children in the past, 4 of which he had murdered.

Mr. Nui has previously served jail sentence for child abuse charges, police records show.

Police in Loey province yesterday investigated the spot where Mr. Nui claimed he had murdered another victim and uncovered a number of human remains in the vicinity. The police believe they might be the remains of a 4 year old girl called nong Ying who had been reportedly missing during a Red Cross Fair.

The police also found a pair of pink shoes nearby; parents of nong Ying said it is the same pair of shoes they had bought for the girl before she disappeared. Nevertheless, the forensic department is working to determine whether the DNA found on the human remains matched with Ying′s parents.

Over 70 police officers also combed an area in Prachinburi province to verify Mr. Nui′s claim that he had raped and murdered yet another victim there. No human remains were found, but a set of woman clothes and lingerie was found in the area.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Thitiraj Nongharnpitak, deputy commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police, told our correspondent that some of the victims allegedly raped or murdered by Mr. Nui might be illegal aliens, which deter the parents from filing complaints to the police.

He also suggested that some local police stations might have been informed about the crimes committed by Mr. Nui, but the officers in charge might not take up the case as serious as they were supposed to.

"[The officers] probably saw them as normal cases, but apparently they are not," said Pol.Lt.Gen. Thitiraj, "The officers should be more attentive."

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronvit Thoopkrachang, commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police, said yesterday that the police would transfer the cases to Crime Suppression Division′s jurisdiction for a centralised effort in the investigation, since the crimes are alleged to take place in many locations.

He also handed an undisclosed amount of money to Mr. Jessadapong Kongkrumkorng, the organiser of a traveling country music concert, as a reward for recognising Mr. Nui, who was working with the band, and alerting the police afterwards.

Bang Na Police in Bangkok are said to be in contact with a former wife of Mr. Nui. According to the sources, Mr. Nui′s ex wife would be interviewed by the police at an undisclosed location about the suspect′s background and personality, in hope that the officers would understand the motives behind his alleged crimes.

Additionally, Mr. Sorasith Chongcharoen, the commander of Bangkok Special Prison, told our correspondent that Mr. Nui is currently detained with other prisoners in a shared cell, but the prison wards are keeping close watch over the suspect to make certain that he would not commit suicide or end up being mobbed by fellow prisoners.

He said Mr. Nui has not shown any sign of distress since he arrived at the prison, however.

The Mirror Foundation, the charity group which focuses on missing children, also urged the government and the police to set up special departments designed to solve the cases of abducted children.

In a statement released to the press, the foundation suggested that the government should allow notices of missing children to be published in state media to gain more attention from the public.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE56UTFOVE16TVE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-20

Children do wander off etc if not supervised but a missing child is not to be taken lightly but it seems here it has been which is both sad and disgraceful.

The 24 hour may be officially scapped but what about actual implementation accross the country, will the BIB bothered their backsides ?

• Like 1

Good old BIB. Missing children and abuse of children not serious enough? More like the victims came from poor families with no financial 'assistance' to offer.

"[The officers] probably saw them as normal cases, but apparently they are not," said Pol.Lt.Gen. Thitiraj, "The officers should be more attentive."

That last sentence beggars belief..

They are indeed a useless bunch.

Why have a 24 hour rule for kids, absolutely stupid to have it in the 1st place.

Yes, by that time, it's often too late. They'll disappear forever, be harmed or dead by the time the police will act. The rules is typically in place in the West for ADULTS.

This place is run by jackasses.

• Like 1

I was wondering about the 24 hour rule in western countries as that is also what I thought. Probably too many crime stories on TV. Appears that it is an urban myth. It does not apply to those under 16 (18) and if an adult and circumstances point to reasonable cause.

Why have a 24 hour rule for kids, absolutely stupid to have it in the 1st place.

Yes, by that time, it's often too late. They'll disappear forever, be harmed or dead by the time the police will act. The rules is typically in place in the West for ADULTS.

This place is run by jackasses.

That's unfair on jackasses even chimps.

I was wondering about the 24 hour rule in western countries as that is also what I thought. Probably too many crime stories on TV. Appears that it is an urban myth. It does not apply to those under 16 (18) and if an adult and circumstances point to reasonable cause.

In Melbourne Australia a child is anyone under the age of 18. Adults do disappear for a few hours probably caught up with mates for a drink etc and police generally wait 24 hours before submitting the missing person report. For a child they act immeadiately with all available resources.

• Like 1

I'm not one of those people that believes that everything back home is wonderful, but why don't the authorities here ask some of the Western governments to provide help in training their police? Police everywhere should know how to deal with these crimes and it shouldn't be left to "jackasses" as somebody wrote.

The people's republic are trying to overthrow the present government, but if I was Thai I'd like to someone put themselves up for election, that wants to make my country a better and SAFER place to live.

In Melbourne Australia a child is anyone under the age of 18. Adults do disappear for a few hours probably caught up with mates for a drink etc and police generally wait 24 hours before submitting the missing person report. For a child they act immeadiately with all available resources.

Here the first priority for the police ( on paper it near has to be true) is MONEY in the pocket by whatever means possible.

• Like 2

Children do wander off etc if not supervised but a missing child is not to be taken lightly but it seems here it has been which is both sad and disgraceful.

The 24 hour may be officially scapped but what about actual implementation accross the country, will the BIB bothered their backsides ?

A few years ago in my town a guy was stabbed in a robbery and the police took so long to get there, he had been dead 4 hours before they arrived at the scene... True story.

A week later one of the wife's friends reported a bunch of guys plying cards for money in a local back street karaoke bar (don't ask we why she reported it). The police were there in 10 minutes, busted the card game and pissed off with all the money.

TIT.

Edited to add: They also took 5000 baht off the bar owner... I forgot that bit.

Just about sums it all up. Bloody disgraceful

I'm not one of those people that believes that everything back home is wonderful, but why don't the authorities here ask some of the Western governments to provide help in training their police? Police everywhere should know how to deal with these crimes and it shouldn't be left to "jackasses" as somebody wrote.

The people's republic are trying to overthrow the present government, but if I was Thai I'd like to someone put themselves up for election, that wants to make my country a better and SAFER place to live.

You are right that everything isn't always better ' at home ' but can you imagine the Thais thinking / asking for outside help or training ?

in one word it is called "FACE" never let a westerner think he is smarter than you are.

Having served in the UK Police for 23 years I find this story (if accurate) totally beyond believe - whoever sanctioned the '24 hour rule' should resign now - and that would have to be the Chief of Police I assume.

Thailand also needs to consider a means to monitor sex offenders (if released) back into the public domain. And if the offender does not abide by the conditions of release then its straight back to jail.

It has been shown that the first few hours a vulnerable child goes missing are the crucial ones that could make the difference between life and death.

I feel sorry for the family if it is true that the police did not act on the report straight away especially given the circumstances of the girls disappearance. Very sad..

• Like 1

Such a shame that the back blocks of Issan are not the jurisdiction of Victoria Police.

• Like 1

Given that every time the police are mentioned in any news media article, and given that every time the headline quotes the police, or the police make a statement of what they "suspect" or "believe to be": then I can only presume that the police even at this very moment "suspect" who is capable of doing these sort of heinous deeds, and even have the conviction that they "believe (certain people) to be" capable of doing these sort of heinous deeds...

...yet they still do nothing!

They "suspect"!

"They "believe to be"!

...yet they still do nothing!

The message I get here is: "Throw 'em a number (1599) and wait for them to call, and we'll get on it. We "suspect" and we "believe things to be" but well just sit around on our asses and wait for the people to cry out for help instead of doing something before the fact".

That does not make you the police. It makes you the fire department, you lazy bums!

How about them using their influence to get some laws changed post haste, so known repeat offenders that are out there can be rounded up and taken somewhere else, or at least make the requirement for communities to be notified and alerted that a murdering, scumbag animal is on the loose and living in their community? Force offenders to report their presence to the local police office, and if they don't, then put 'em away for good.

What? Are we all supposed to forget that even now there are repeat Thai offenders out there doing the same thing even as I type this? It doesn't have to be a crime of this lowest nature for me to feel the need to put a bullet in the head of someone who does this to a child. All it takes is an inappropriate act. It doesn't have to lead to rape and murder.

But the facts, I suspect, are that there are beasts just like this one queuing up for the next headline. Today? Tomorrow? Certainly soon!

Criminals are the property of the police. Children are the property of the parents.

The neglect with which both police and parents put forth towards their charges: the total absence of responsibilities, duties and obligations... well, it really makes it evident as to why it is so easy for a murdering beast to walk up to a sleeping child in the back of a pickup truck and stroll away with her, hand in hand.

These kids don't stand a chance!

Lunatics all!

• Like 2

In N America we have an Amber Alert. Within minutes of a missing child being reported it is brodcasted over the tv & radios. This way the public are informed and can keep an eye out for the missing child. This is the type of program Thailand need to set up.

• Like 2

In reply to mdmayes. N. America consists of Canada, Mexico, and the U.S.A. I am from N. America, Canada, and have never heard of the "Amber Alert." Which part of N. America is it located in?

All N. American countries - US, Canada and Mexico have Amber alert systems. Mexico started it up in 2011

Canada Amber Alert

An AMBER Alert or a Child Abduction Emergency (SAME code: CAE) is a child abduction alert system. Originating in the United States in 1996, there are now similar systems in a number of other countries.

• Like 1

In reply to mdmayes. N. America consists of Canada, Mexico, and the U.S.A. I am from N. America, Canada, and have never heard of the "Amber Alert." Which part of N. America is it located in?

All N. American countries - US, Canada and Mexico have Amber alert systems. Mexico started it up in 2011

Canada Amber Alert

An AMBER Alert or a Child Abduction Emergency (SAME code: CAE) is a child abduction alert system. Originating in the United States in 1996, there are now similar systems in a number of other countries.

Actually you will find that in Australia they were doing it a decade prior to the U.S

Yes, yes.
Wouldn't want to interrupt the BIB very important standing around looking at stuff duties on the off chance that a missing child may actually be in danger.

Guess they haven't picked up The First 48 over here yet

Edited by BeforeTigers