My first 6 weeks in Chiang Mai

Diddl

Ahh....the honey moon.......biggrin.png update please in 6months wai.gif

Maybe I can give you an update now. I have been in Pattaya for 18 months now, and express the same feelings as the OP. If you can not enjoy the people, and the day to day living here, you won't be happy anywhere. Thailand is a great country that offers so much for so little. Thai people are great.

A honeymoon can last as long as you want it to. Want to be miserable, go for it! You can do that on day one, but what a way to live. Such a shame to waste a good life.

Let's be honest, Pattaya is about as Thai as Blackpool... Or Moscow

• Like 2

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CM experience can be great if one avoids various pitfalls.

I met a older european man recently who just came to Thailand to retire.

He met an issan women at a massage shop on Loh Kroh road.

He believes everything she says like he is the first one she has gone with.

In the space of a just a few months he has put her as the sole heir of his will. He has a significant pension and she has talked him into getting the will properly registered at his countries consulate in Pattaya.

I have tried to explain some caution or even light paranoia is a healthy practice in Thailand but he is just so gullible and overwhelmed with happiness now.

I don't think this is going to end well but I really hope I am wrong.

amazing how clever some of those hookers are and how gullible and naive the old falangs are.

OP the reason you got such a negative response the first time was probably due to your incredibly naive idea that you could buy real property in Thailand and put it in a "friends name" or Thai nominee. that is illegal and you could end up as the victim of extortion or have the land confiscated by the government. and then to broadcast this on a public forum was incredibly foolish. yes the people are nice but always keep your guard up. i have not lowered my guard in almost 30 years now. i would also add that you should always keep your guard up especially around other falangs who appear to be overly helpful, have financial advice for you, tell you that you can buy real property in Thailand, have a lawyer that they recommend, etc. there are more foreign white and blue collar criminals in Thailand than probably any other country.

i believe the negative response was only to warn you and not be so gullible and naive and possibly lose everything you have.

enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

In the space of a just a few months he has put her as the sole heir of his will. He has a significant pension and she has talked him into getting the will properly registered at his countries consulate in Pattaya.

I have tried to explain some caution or even light paranoia is a healthy practice in Thailand but he is just so gullible and overwhelmed with happiness now.

amazing how clever some of those hookers are and how gullible and naive the old falangs are.

OP the reason you got such a negative response the first time was probably due to your incredibly naive idea that you could buy real property in Thailand and put it in a "friends name" or Thai nominee. that is illegal and you could end up as the victim of extortion or have the land confiscated by the government. and then to broadcast this on a public forum was incredibly foolish. yes the people are nice but always keep your guard up. i have not lowered my guard in almost 30 years now. i would also add that you should always keep your guard up especially around other falangs who appear to be overly helpful, have financial advice for you, tell you that you can buy real property in Thailand, have a lawyer that they recommend, etc. there are more foreign white and blue collar criminals in Thailand than probably any other country.

i believe the negative response was only to warn you and not be so gullible and naive and possibly lose everything you have.

enjoy your stay

If you read the OP's first post he said he bought a condo which is fine and legal, he never said anything about putting it in a friends name. You just made that up.

• Like 1

I'm thinking you paid "foreigner price" for the property.

30% extra profit makes for a lot of "good will".

Selfless ...... not in Thailand, Thai or foreigner.

Keep thinking it activates the brain cells![/size]

So what if I paid 30% extra? If I am willing to pay extra to get exactly what I want, then it is my business. If you are not willing to pay extra for what you want, then dont! Having said this, I dont think I paid extra at all.

I saw other condos from another estate agent and they only showed me the dirtiest and most depressing condos I have ever seen. They were obviously trying to get rid of what they could not sell onto me. Having experienced this, it does not make me negative, I just go on elsewhere. If something negative happens to me, I learn from it and move on.

If no-one in Thailand is selfless and you live here, I wonder why you stay in this country. Anyone who stays in a country they find negative must be crazy?

Cleaning materials and paint are cheap in Thailand.

Why do I live here ....... cheap girls ........ it's why (nearly) every foreign guy lives here.

I feel sorry for you that you have found no other reason!

• Like 1

"what salesman/saleswoman would do all this in another country at no extra cost and with the kindness of their heart, which is Thailands way!"

I'm thinking "the kindness of their heart" involved a "big commission" that they forgot to mention.

After a while you come to recognise the scamming, but I agree the honeymoon period (where you pay double for everything without knowing) is great.

Aren't salespeople supposed to be working for commission in any country? Anyway a smart shopper takes their time hunting for bargains to be had at stores other than Central or Robinson's.

For your information, I did every shopping mall, every department store, and any other market stalls that I could find, to find what I was looking for and Central was the only shop that sold what I wanted.

As for collecting a commission, this happens all over the world and it is a way of boosting poor salaries or even giving a salary.

I'm starting to think that negative people on this website are jealous of the good times I am having and being able to buy what I want. The reason I am able to buy what I want is because I don't waste my money on whores or useless entertainment!

It is great when everything goes smoothly and all you see is smiles. However, for your own welfare, be aware that the smile is typically by default and can sometimes betray true intentions. It likely won't always run smooth--bureaucracy can be a killer and boiling hot, smokey days in March are no fun either.

Also be careful of your perception of the Thai south, you are way off tangent. Had some of my best experiences there and met some of the warmest people.

I did not say the people were bad down there, I said that most of the troubles are in the south because of sex and drugs. Troubles are everywhere but seem to be mostly in the south of Thailand. As for the "warmest people", I think, generally speaking, that Thais all over Thailand are warm. I am glad that you are enjoying Thailand and the people also.

It is great when everything goes smoothly and all you see is smiles. However, for your own welfare, be aware that the smile is typically by default and can sometimes betray true intentions. It likely won't always run smooth--bureaucracy can be a killer and boiling hot, smokey days in March are no fun either.

Also be careful of your perception of the Thai south, you are way off tangent. Had some of my best experiences there and met some of the warmest people.

I did not say the people were bad down there, I said that most of the troubles are in the south because of sex and drugs. Troubles are everywhere but seem to be mostly in the south of Thailand. As for the "warmest people", I think, generally speaking, that Thais all over Thailand are warm. I am glad that you are enjoying Thailand and the people also.

Give the Muslims the credit they want. 5000 dead in the South would probably disagree with you. Oh, and read about the golden triangle and monks selling yabba sometime.

Why do I live here ....... cheap girls ........ it's why (nearly) every foreign guy lives here.

I find it amazing that anyone has managed to delude themselves there is another reason.

Thailand is a corrupt and dangerous country with no rule of law, risk of death is high.

You think I'm wrong, ask the families of the people who stayed in the DeathTown Inn in CM.

Or the family of the policeman who was dragged and killed by the Red Bull kid.

Or any of the 100 expat club members in CM who lost their pensions this year.

• Like 1

I find it amazing that anyone has managed to delude themselves there is another reason.

Thailand is a corrupt and dangerous country with no rule of law, risk of death is high.

You think I'm wrong, ask the families of the people who stayed in the DeathTown Inn in CM.

Or the family of the policeman who was dragged and killed by the Red Bull kid.

Or any of the 100 expat club members in CM who lost their pensions this year.

100 expat club members in CM who lost their pensions this year? How is that even possible?

I have only lived here for 36 years but I have always found Thailand an easy place to live, personally. I have no idea what it would be like to move here these days as an old man with lots of luggage from a previous life. I can say, however, my experience has been very different from what many post here on TV.

Whether someone is happy or miserable living in Thailand, I have developed a hands off approach. They have the right to be as happy or miserable as they choose and I really don’t care much either way, I guess. If the OP is happy, I am happy to leave it at that.

Fair comment and my experience is similar to yours.

But it is the way the op wrote:

"Perhaps they left their country, as I did, to find better people to live with"

Then in another response says that people are jealous...

Sounds abit arrogant.

I wish farangs would come here because they like the place not because it was <deleted> somewhere else and cheaper here.

I wish farangs would come here because they like the place not because it was <deleted> somewhere else and cheaper here.

I don't think many people would move countries, if they were happy at home.

"<deleted>" forces you into action, "happiness" doesn't.

• Like 2

Don't agree.

There were many who arrived here before that just liked to travel and experience new things..nothing to do with being unhappy..maybe restless yes.

These people tended to be in the main younger, better educated, more open to experiences, more adaptable ,than those who come here today because they are lonely..

I have only lived here for 36 years but I have always found Thailand an easy place to live, personally. I have no idea what it would be like to move here these days as an old man with lots of luggage from a previous life. I can say, however, my experience has been very different from what many post here on TV.

Whether someone is happy or miserable living in Thailand, I have developed a hands off approach. They have the right to be as happy or miserable as they choose and I really don’t care much either way, I guess. If the OP is happy, I am happy to leave it at that.

Fair comment and my experience is similar to yours.

But it is the way the op wrote:

"Perhaps they left their country, as I did, to find better people to live with"

Then in another response says that people are jealous...

Sounds abit arrogant.

Arrogance is not a big problem for me and I don’t really care why people do what they do or why they come to Thailand. I do find it harder to find people I admire or like, however.
Sure, people I knew back in the 70s and 80s were different from the people I meet these days, but I have changed too, along with everything else in this world. At the same time I am not one of those who laments the passage of time, saying how things were so much better in the past. Now is alway the best time for me.
  • Like 1

I don't think many people would move countries, if they were happy at home.

"<deleted>" forces you into action, "happiness" doesn't.

Very true.

Don't agree.There were many who arrived here before that just liked to travel and experience new things..nothing to do with being unhappy..maybe restless yes.These people tended to be in the main younger, better educated, more open to experiences, more adaptable ,than those who come here today because they are lonely..

In the late 60s and 70s there were a lot of young restless travellers wandering around looking for a paradise because they were not happy with their home countries, now its the old folk who take up home here, years go they used to go to Spain, so I presume the cost of living has soared there.

• Like 2

enjoy your stay

If you read the OP's first post he said he bought a condo which is fine and legal, he never said anything about putting it in a friends name. You just made that up.

gee obviously you didn't follow part 1 of the saga. maybe catch up before presuming something.

Don't agree.There were many who arrived here before that just liked to travel and experience new things..nothing to do with being unhappy..maybe restless yes.These people tended to be in the main younger, better educated, more open to experiences, more adaptable ,than those who come here today because they are lonely..

In the late 60s and 70s there were a lot of young restless travellers wandering around looking for a paradise because they were not happy with their home countries, now its the old folk who take up home here, years go they used to go to Spain, so I presume the cost of living has soared there.

Spain is for old couples.

Thailand is for single guys.

Current divorce trends have generated a lot more old, single guys.

Edited by FiftyTwo

He hasn't been stalked, by the wooden-frog ladies, yet ! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717 width=20 height=20>

But being serious, yes Chiang Mai is a super place, I still love it after nine years, and hope to for the rest of my life.

So welcomeani.gif.pagespeed.ce.WEO6J5z5nm.g to another new-arrival ! wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

No, I wouldn't be stalked by "wooden-frog ladies" because I am not a man. Another one who assumes he knows everything!

But thank you for the welcome anyway.

Sorry for my false-assumption.

But no worries, because the wooden-frog ladies are equal-opportunity stalkers, of anyone who might wish to buy their souvenirs !

And also of many who definitely don't want one, either. They are 'un-frog-ettable ! 'Rivet-ting' stuff ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

enjoy your stay

gee obviously you didn't follow part 1 of the saga. maybe catch up before presuming something.

I'm sorry. Please can you show me where the OP said he had bought a house and put it in someone else s name. I have looked and can not see it anywhere. If you can show me then I will be happy to see it, otherwise I stand by my comment that you are just making it up.

enjoy your stay

I'm sorry. Please can you show me where the OP said he had bought a house and put it in someone else s name. I have looked and can not see it anywhere. If you can show me then I will be happy to see it, otherwise I stand by my comment that you are just making it up.

Sorry. replied to wrong post.

Edited by Throatwobbler

I am sorry. Would that be post number 11 where he states that he is looking for land. He also states in the same post that he has bought a condo. He never states that he has bought land and put it in someone else s name. Too many people jumping to conclusions.

Thank you for your reply.