Avast Anti-virus

Gary A

I was happy with Avast and never had any problems until I decided to use Firefox. I kept getting a message, XP event receiver or something like that wouldn't shut down when I tried to turn off my computer. The computer wouldn't shut down. It was irritating to say the least. I Googled for help and found nothing to help me. If I tried long enough it would finally shut down. Yesterday I noticed that after the Avast icon went off the machine would shut down fine. Today I downloaded the NOD 32 anti-virus program and that appears to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure if it is my imagination or not but everything seems to run faster now. I'm using the 30 day free trial and if things keep working like they are now I will happily pay the $39.95 for the program.

Maybe you DO get what you pay for. (Or don't pay for). :o

I tried to use Avast several years ago but the email check system put in an extra ip number that my provider refused to forward on (appeared to be a relay) so had to stop. Changed to AVG and have had no issues; and it is also free and updated daily. I can see no reason to pay for anti-virus for home use with the good free versions that are available. If I were commercial I would still use one the them but be willing to pay the fees. But don't have any current knowledge of NOD.32 but believe it used to be less than user friendly from my memory (which could be false).

Avast also had some problem with Zone Alarm Pro so it may have been the combination of the two. In any case everything is zipping along just fine now.

I have used avast and firefox together for about two years now, never had a problem and no slow downs either.