O extention declined via phone call

I applied for an annual extension yesterday based on marriage. Everything went fine, I got a one month stamp pending approval. Later in the day, I received a phone call to say that I could not apply for an annual extension because two months ago I got a 60 day extension as my funds had not matured in the bank for two months. This happen last year due to my funds being sent late from my home country, but I got an annual extension after that. The immigration officer said that you can only have one additional extension, other than annual extensions, per visa. She has given me two options. She will give me a 7 day extension on Monday. Then I can either leave the country to obtain a new O visa, or got to Mae Sai for a 15 day stamp and then go to Bangkok to get an annual extension. This second option seems wrong to me as I wouldn't have O visa status when I re-enter at Mae Sai. Would Bangkok immigration issue a one year extension? Any experience or reliable information about tjis would be most appreciated.

Thanks

If you exit and return on a visa exempt entry, 15 or 30 days depending on your nationality, you can then go to Bangkok and convert that to a Non-O without the money being seasoned. During the last 30 days of the 90 days that they give you you would then go to the local immigration office and apply for then 1 year extension, the money is then fully seasoned. Cost of the conversion, 2000 baht, the extension 1900 baht.

• Like 2

If you exit and return on a visa exempt entry, 15 or 30 days depending on your nationality, you can then go to Bangkok and convert that to a Non-O without the money being seasoned. During the last 30 days of the 90 days that they give you you would then go to the local immigration office and apply for then 1 year extension, the money is then fully seasoned. Cost of the conversion, 2000 baht, the extension 1900 baht.

Thanks Wayned,

Is a visa exempt entry what I will automatically get or do I have to request it?

Which immigration office was that?

There is no such rule that I know of. There is a rule that you can't get two 60 day extensions back to back.

Your best option is probably to go out for a single entry non-o visa.

You probably would not be able to do a conversion with just a 15 day entry because you need 15 days remaining on your entry to do it. Plus there is good chance you would get a 14 day under consideration stamp when you apply.

Which immigration office was that?

There is no such rule that I know of. There is a rule that you can't get two 60 day extensions back to back.

Your best option is probably to go out for a single entry non-o visa.

You probably would not be able to do a conversion with just a 15 day entry because you need 15 days remaining on your entry to do it. Plus there is good chance you would get a 14 day under consideration stamp when you apply.

Hi ubonjoe,

It was Chiang Mai immigration. I think my best bet is to phone immigration in Bangkok on Monday to see if there is anything they can do for me. I don't want to waste more time and money on a border run if it's fruitless.

If you are from a G7 country, of which the UK is one, you will get 30 days on entry. The standard rule is that you have to have 15 days left to do the conversion but you should have enough time. The other option is to go to Vientiane and get a single entry Non-O. The costs are the same, the only difference the travel and time involved so it's basically a toss up.

7 day extension, either option, cost 1900 baht.

Travel to Mai Sai, enter Myanmar, 500 baht,get 15/30 days, travel to Bangkok, do conversion, cost 2000 baht (one night), travel back to CM, do extension, cost 1900 baht.

Travel to Vientiane or Savannakhet, enter Laos, $35, Get single entry Non-O, cost 2000 baht (one or two nights), back to CM do extension, cost 1900 baht.

In the past, I extended my marriage visa for 60 days because I didn't have all of the paperwork and then came back and extended it for 1 year for retirement so there were two extensions back to back. Unless the rules have changed or CM's interpretation differs from Korat the officer is wrong but getting them to reverse their decision would be like pulling teeth.

I know that the rule is one 60 day extension per entry and it applies everywhere, ( otherwise some that are married and can't qualify for a 1 year would be doing back to back 60 day extensions forever)but I got a 60 day extension, as recommended by immigration, and came back during the last 30 days of the 60 day extended and got a 1 year extension for retirement, also recommended by the same officer. That's not 2 back to back 60 day extensions on 1 entry. He's not requesting multiple 60 days extensio9ns.

Edited by wayned

But he got a 60 day extension last year and another one this year. So what they are doing is denying his application because they made a mistake when they did the 60 day extension this year. Which does not seem proper to me. Clause 2.24 for 60 day extensions has only this restriction.

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality: Each permission shall be granted for no more than 60 days

As I read it, the OP said that he had a 60 day extension last year to enable seasoning of funds, then he got his year extension, now he says that he is asking for another 60 day extension this year.

Is that not, technically, 2 'visit Thai wife' extensions for the same entry?

He has already gotten a 60 extension this year and they accepted his application for a one year extension and gave him the 30 day under consideration stamp.

Agreed, but the 60 day would have been given locally, is it possible that, when the application was passed up the chain for approval (or rechecked before it was sent), it was noticed that 2 x 60 day extensions for one entry had been given and thus rejected?

Also agreed that further info from immigration required. To the OP, did immigration give a reason for the rejection?

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Last year my funds arrived late because I had to help pay for a funeral back home. The officer gave me 60 to let my money mature but gave no indication this was a one off. this year I had the money in the bank on time but I forgot about a direct debit and it dipped under. My own fault. I threw myself on the mercy of CM immigration and asked for 60 days to allow my funds to mature. After scrutinizing my passport she agreed to give me 60 days to "visit my family". At the time I thought nothing more about her comment than her showing her authority. She made no comment about not qualifying for an annual extension in 60 days. I went again yesterday and again the passport was scrutinized, fees taken and one month stamp. Two hours later the wife gets a phone call. Your husband can not get an extension as he has already had two additional 60 day extensions on the current visa. She said she will give me 7 days extension on Monday taking me from 27th Dec to 3rd Jan. Then, go to a consulate or go to Mae Sai then Bangkok to convert to an O visa. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Ah!

He got a sixty day extension on his original visa last year.

Then he got a year's extension.

Now he wants another year's extension but was given sixty days initially.

As Bangkok has pointed out - you can't get a sixty day extension on an annual extension.

His original visa expired ages ago.

Just another example of Immigration sponsoring the visa runs industry and consulate fees. Part of a well conceived big system, some can call it a racket. What difference it makes, being in country or out of country, when one has fundamental eligibility.

• Like 1

Ah!

He got a sixty day extension on his original visa last year.

Then he got a year's extension.

Now he wants another year's extension but was given sixty days initially.

As Bangkok has pointed out - you can't get a sixty day extension on an annual extension.

His original visa expired ages ago.

Hi Ginkas,

The first 60 day extension was given after my first annual extension. The recent 60 day extension after my second annual and I just applied for my third annual. If what you say is correct, "As Bangkok has pointed out - you can't get a sixty day extension on an annual extension." then they made a mistake last year issuing the first 60 day but I still got the annual.

Just another example of Immigration sponsoring the visa runs industry and consulate fees. Part of a well conceived big system, some can call it a racket. What difference it makes, being in country or out of country, when one has fundamental eligibility.

"Part of a well conceived big system, some can call it a racket."

The officer and those higher up appear to be applying the law as they see it, even if the TV "experts" see it otherwise. "[W]hen one has fundamental eligibility," one manages to meet the fundamental eligibility requirements, which are hardly onerous or overly difficult to understand. In most countries if you fail to meet the eligibility requirements explicitly, you are told to leave or not allowed to enter in the first place, and a great deal of discretion in interpreting those requirements is left to embassy staff and immigrations officers who control who enters those countries and who can remain in residence.

They already helped him once to allow him time to season the money before issuing a year's extension and therefore assisted him to comply with the rules without abetting the "visa runs industry," and the O/P admits it was his fault that the money in the bank again dipped below the minimum this time.

The reason the seasoning requirement exists at all is because too many farang were avoiding the fundamental requirements by shifting around cash from one person's account to another's as they needed to show money in the bank when extending their stays.

The visa run industry exists in large part because many people staying in Thailand have failed to meet the fundamental eligibility for long stays in Thailand. If you feel the "visa runs industry" is a racket run in complicity with Immigrations, maybe you'd prefer that visa runs be abolished altogether to end this sinister "racket" and then anyone who depends on the "racket" should just be told they don't qualify for further stays in Thailand and good-bye.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Khon Kaen immigration certainly enforce the 1 60 day extension per entry rule.

I wanted to use it this year as I made a mistake on my 400k in the bank seasoning and needed a few extra days to ensure the money was in the bank for 2 months.

I applied for the 60 day extension but was rejected because I'd already used it once about 7 years ago.

Been on back to back extensions through marriage for 14 years but had to leave the country and get a single entry visa from Vientiene.

Plus they told me when I needed to extend as it's now a brand new extension I have to provide 2 witnesses to prove me and my wife of 14 years are living together and the info we've provided is correct.

If I could kick my arse for messing up my money seasoning believe me I would.

Verbose undue apologism for a system that really doesn't deserve it. Of course made without mentioning all the times where the system is misapplied, officers exercise their power arbitrarely, the total lack of modernization and rationalization, etc. But the part comparing (really oranges to apples) to other countries was not missing as well the mandatory ending "if you don't like it, leave".

All that trite show of dull submission has bee seen and heard already, only suscitates a big yawn.

Verbose undue apologism for a system that really doesn't deserve it. Of course made without mentioning all the times where the system is misapplied, officers exercise their power arbitrarely, the total lack of modernization and rationalization, etc. But the part comparing (really oranges to apples) to other countries was not missing as well the mandatory ending "if you don't like it, leave".

All that trite show of dull submission has bee seen and heard already, only suscitates a big yawn.

Which part of the system do you participate in. If we want to stay here we comply weather we agree or not.

Which part of the system do you participate in. If we want to stay here we comply weather we agree or not.

With the right of excercise criticism, something that many have renounced, together with most other basic rights, time ago.

Again, your bent over posture is not really exciting to debate with.