Yingluck voted as 'Darling of the Isaan People'

webfact

If the Dems ever want to win an election then they need to win the hearts of people nth of Bangkok. Shift their focus away from the minority elites and start working for the people who hold the majority of votes.

Possibly correct but some people have principles. Obviously the people of Isan do not.....

The Dems obviously do not support democratic principles. Their supporters throughout the whole country must feel frustrated that they will not have the opportunity to elect a government of their choice.

For your information, the people of isaan are ordinary people. They have principles they believe in and hold similar views on many things to Thais in other parts of the country. They have learned from experience that the Democratic party has done very little for them.

Displaying your ignorance about them just reinforces the falang stereotype sexpat here for the cheap alcohol, drugs and sex trade.

I beg your pardon..... Alcohol is not any cheaper here than anywhere else... tongue.png

Just kidding. I don't drink. Couldn't resist that though.

"She received 49.22 percent of the votes from 1,177 respondents sampled from 20 northeastern provinces for being the most favoured female politician"

The typical Isaan voter probably can't even name another female politician. With that considered, it is amazing that she received only 49%. It would seem "none of the above" was more popular than YS. A survey of only 1,177 people isn't very statistically significant considering the population of many millions in Isaanland.

1,177 respondents is definitely an acceptable sample size for a survey of this nature. At a 95% confidence level, it would have a margin of error better than 2.5%. This is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, once you get samples of this size, further increments in sample size have relatively little effect regardless of population size (so long as the sampling itself is unbiased).

To make things more concrete:

Assuming the population of Isaan is 25 million... given the sample size here and the fact that 50% chose Yingluck, had the whole Isaan population been surveyed, we could be '95% certain' that the result would be between 47% and 53% in favour of Yingluck. So basically the same outcome.

This is why we do sampling... to avoid the cost of surveying most of the population.

As for your other comment (which smacks of contempt for the people of Isaan). I wonder how many voters in your home country can name two or more sitting female politicians (as opposed to political activists, like Palin in the US, etc.).

If only the otherside could bring themselves to showing the poor some respect, then they mightn't have to do their petty footstomping, coups, and city-halting every couple of years because they cannot win an election.

But my Lord, rich and powerful Thais be humble enough to do that.... only the Shinawats have the intelligence and humbleness to do that.

You have been a busy boy with your membership spanning all of 24 hours. Maybe you can tell us all how you managed to establish "the Shinawats have the intelligence and humbleness"?

• Like 1

"She received 49.22 percent of the votes from 1,177 respondents sampled from 20 northeastern provinces for being the most favoured female politician"

The typical Isaan voter probably can't even name another female politician. With that considered, it is amazing that she received only 49%. It would seem "none of the above" was more popular than YS. A survey of only 1,177 people isn't very statistically significant considering the population of many millions in Isaanland.

1,177 respondents is definitely an acceptable sample size for a survey of this nature. At a 95% confidence level, it would have a margin of error better than 2.5%. This is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, once you get samples of this size, further increments in sample size have relatively little effect regardless of population size (so long as the sampling itself is unbiased).

Assuming the population of Isaan is 25 million... given the sample size here and the fact that 50% chose Yingluck, had the whole Isaan population been surveyed, we could be '95% certain' that the result would be between 47% and 53% in favour of Yingluck. So basically the same outcome.

This is why we do sampling... to avoid the cost of surveying most of the population.

As for your other comment (which smacks of contempt for the people of Isaan). I wonder how many voters in your home country can name two or more sitting female politicians (as opposed to political activists, like Palin in the US, etc.).

How do we know, for instance, if the sample was mainly form the Red villages?

If the Dems ever want to win an election then they need to win the hearts of people nth of Bangkok. Shift their focus away from the minority elites and start working for the people who hold the majority of votes.

Possibly correct but some people have principles. Obviously the people of Isan do not.....

The Dems obviously do not support democratic principles. Their supporters throughout the whole country must feel frustrated that they will not have the opportunity to elect a government of their choice.

For your information, the people of isaan are ordinary people. They have principles they believe in and hold similar views on many things to Thais in other parts of the country. They have learned from experience that the Democratic party has done very little for them.

Displaying your ignorance about them just reinforces the falang stereotype sexpat here for the cheap alcohol, drugs and sex trade.

I personally object to your ignorant comment and so would all of my expat friends both in Isaan and other parts of Thailand. You are by definition the ignorant one.

• Like 1

Another election won !!!

This is as funny as a poll held in the heartland of Thaksin.

How about a national poll to get the real truth.

Or how about one in the south?

It is like someone doing a poll in the middle of Old Trafford asking them which is the best team in the Premiership..... totally meaningless.

Yet you use it as a basis to support your own deranged views.

So funny. Looks like uneducated farangs will always side with uneducated Thais... birds of a feather flock together. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited to add:

49.22 from the most hardcore support voting area in Thailand.... I would see this as a bit of a disaster if I were you mate. I would have expected 99%

Did you ever tried to find the sarcastic side of the remark mate ? I'm not supporting any side, only the one that is important to me : my family and friends.

I went to Krung Ching waterfall today to look around. There is a small town there I always stop at to eat Pa tai. I was not thinking and asked the lady why all the shops were closed. She said the bus to BKK ran today for the rally. To tell the truth I was kinda put back. In a small out of the way town, poor people, barely making a living. Supporting the crowds in BKK? Not sure about all the talk about the rich BKK only. Seems to me the poor people are supporting the movement in BKK. I asked my GF about it and she said even the people in Issan are finally starting to wake up? True or not I do not know.

Just what I have seen down south it is not just the rich. By a long way.

I'm kinda confused about the whole thing as usual... smile.png

With due respect to any TV readers,

Protest rallies are not just from the rich or and educated Thai people, but from all walk of lives of Thai people. They have the same good intention to want a political reform and they want to oust the Thugsin regime, the one that has caused economy instability inside the country. Thai people who participate in rallies do not look down on each other whether who is rich or poor or who is educated or uneducated and do not side which part of the countries they are from. They embraced one another and offer supports spiritually to each other because they want to see Thailand recovered from economy turmoil that is caused by the Thugsin regime's power.

Many Thai people have put up with this Thugsin regime and especially these past two years that Thai people felt pinches of very staggering and unstable economy. They have kept this pressure inside. They had enough of Thugsin regime who has taken control of most aspects in Thailand. Even many major business owners do not agree how Thugsin's unfairly control major parts of businesses by using government power and using tax money to buy out votes.

Many Thai people are not able to speak out freely as an individual because their lives would be harmed. With such crooked elections especially the Thugsin regime that has gone too extreme compared to the opposition political group who also is corrupted but the Thugsin regime is way out of proportion that has intention to sell the country natural resources to foreign investors, as if Thugsin is the only one who owned the country.

Many Thai people including me as regular people (ones who care about economy inside the country) have hoped and waited that there would be someone is brave enough come out and to get together to help form a power of Thai people.

At first I did not not pay much attention about Thailand politic until past few years I began to feel that Thailand is facing economy turmoil inside its country. I visited Thailand last year and I found that Thailand today is facing economy hardship despite of having become one of the modern countries in Asia but quality of life in general is going down hill. The current Thugsin regime is the most corrupted government in history of any political groups. Thai people know that any political groups are corrupted but the Thugsin regime is the worst that Thai people could tolerate any longer.

There are many in depth of corruptions of Thugsin regime that foreigners do not know. Democracy does not work in Thailand unless there are still election votes buying and unless there are crooked senators who cheat votes in congress house. For example, I saw a vdo clip taken by an opposition senator recording PT congressmen cheating votes to pass amnesty bills by giving votes for other congressmen as if they were PTP congressmen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af49wO8PQS0

Please excuse me if there are any typos.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 2

Buying elections is something new? Name me a country it doesn't happen in. I'd say the people of Issan are smart for pocketing the money.

Nobody actually 'buys' votes.

All Thai parties give cash to voters. Then the voters are free to vote for who they want to anyway.

Another election won !!!

There's a reason it's called Esan-poll and carried out by Khon Kaen University. I too would like to see a national poll on the popularity of the parties, but no one has carried one out since early Nov, to my knowledge.
There's a national poll coming up on 2nd of February, and the results will be binding, according to the constitution.

Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:
aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:

(so long as the sampling itself is unbiased) That certainly sums it up.

Do you know where it was taken, who participated, was it a proper sampling of the general population of Isaanland or was it was taken in front of a 7-11 on the street outside of Khon Kaen University? What were the questions that were asked? Didn't think you knew. That would pretty much discount your entire argument for validity of the survey and imaginary confidence level and certainty in the margin level of error that you claim with great authority. The fact is that you only know the very limited info that appeared in the OP. Only a fool would attempt to defend a simplified Thai news article with 95% confidence and 2.5% margin of error.

YS is really the only one they would know and she received less than 50%, with number 2 receiving 2%. That indicates that "none of the above" received about as many votes as YS. Hardly makes her a winner.

Doesn't smack of contempt because that it is the way it is in Isaanland. How could anyone else receive votes when there aren't any well known female political figures to vote for? I hope you aren't naïve enough to believe that Isaan voters are well versed in who the players are. From what I heard from family members is that they are mostly concern about who to vote for in return for 500 baht they will receive and if they will get any benefits like the rice scam.

You are right, as far as I can understand the situation. What's more important is that some major political commentators have said the same thing: Voranai Vanijaka made this point in the BK Post a while ago and Prof Duncan McCargo in the International NY Times (previously Intnl Herald Tribune) said much the same in an opinion piece a couple of days ago.

If the Democrats were smart - and they are - they would be trying to increase their influence in Isaan and the North. They are (well, at least Abhisit is) much more competent than the Thaksin crowd, so they could rightly tell the voters that 'if you vote for us, the Democrats, you'll get better Government'. The only problem is that they would have to give those rural voters some definite benefits: and that would mean better health care and education.

I really hope that Abhisit can turn it around.

You are right, as far as I can understand the situation. What's more important is that some major political commentators have said the same thing: Voranai Vanijaka made this point in the BK Post a while ago and Prof Duncan McCargo in the International NY Times (previously Intnl Herald Tribune) said much the same in an opinion piece a couple of days ago.

If the Democrats were smart - and they are - they would be trying to increase their influence in Isaan and the North. They are (well, at least Abhisit is) much more competent than the Thaksin crowd, so they could rightly tell the voters that 'if you vote for us, the Democrats, you'll get better Government'. The only problem is that they would have to give those rural voters some definite benefits: and that would mean better health care and education.

I really hope that Abhisit can turn it around.

Well I agree with you that Abhist is the best man for the job. The main problem is that the people in the north are not interested in their future. It is a cash in hand today and don't care about tommorrow group that keeps the PTP in power.

Another election won !!!

It is like someone doing a poll in the middle of Old Trafford asking them which is the best team in the Premiership..... totally meaningless.

So funny. Looks like uneducated farangs will always side with uneducated Thais... birds of a feather flock together. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>

Edited to add:

49.22 from the most hardcore support voting area in Thailand.... I would see this as a bit of a disaster if I were you mate. I would have expected 99%

Well there matey, there will be a national poll on FEB 2 2014, and guess what the Thai people will once again vote for Yingluck and her party thumbsup.gif G'day there now matey!

I went to Krung Ching waterfall today to look around. There is a small town there I always stop at to eat Pa tai. I was not thinking and asked the lady why all the shops were closed. She said the bus to BKK ran today for the rally. To tell the truth I was kinda put back. In a small out of the way town, poor people, barely making a living. Supporting the crowds in BKK? Not sure about all the talk about the rich BKK only. Seems to me the poor people are supporting the movement in BKK. I asked my GF about it and she said even the people in Issan are finally starting to wake up? True or not I do not know.

Just what I have seen down south it is not just the rich. By a long way.

I'm kinda confused about the whole thing as usual... smile.png.pagespeed.ce.S_2hMPZPhC.png

GaryK I'll confirm what you observe. I'm in Bangkok, and this evening I have seen HUGE numbers of people moving across the bridge from Thonburi to take part in the event tomorrow (Sunday). They look like average people to me - not poor, not rich. Friendly, not extreme. I suspect that the rally tomorrow around Democracy Monument ('prathati parthai', I think they say) will be a big one.

To me this feels a bit like the 'Boston tea party' and the feeling of 'no taxation without representation'.

I can't believe that Yingluk can survive this. The people of Bangkok and central/southern Thailand will simply not accept her after what she's done. Thaksin himself, I'd think, is completely finished here.

But who knows.

I hope that the honest Democrats are planning to make connections with the people in the north/NE so as to unify this country once again.

It is very confusing!

C'mon there tilac it really isn't all that confusing, Suthep started all this to draw attention away from his murder indictment smile.png This Sunday will come and go just like any other Sunday and then Suthep will once again set a date for another final (cheesy.gif ) massive protest against the Government. Suthep can only make a fool of himself for so long until even those closest to this clown see him for what he really is thumbsup.gif In the end Suthep and his cronies will lose another election and Suthep and Abhisit will be tried for murder, Abhisit will likely flee to the U.K. and Suthep will likely rot in prison for the remainder of his life wai2.gif

Another election won !!!

So funny. Looks like uneducated farangs will always side with uneducated Thais... birds of a feather flock together. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited to add:

Yet you use it as a basis to support your own deranged views.?

So funny. Looks like uneducated farangs will always side with uneducated Thais... birds of a feather flock together.

Its good to see you are here to educate us uneducated with our deranged views , all the poster posted was " Election won" which he is probably right , It's the exact people like you with that upper class attitude that are creating the very problems in this country. Go back to your tea & crumpets. Poor people do have the right to vote.

• Like 1

There is a Thai - Chinese split in Thailand. The Issan peopel are the poor Thais. The yellow shirts support is from the elite ethnic Chinese Thais. The Chinese look down on the poor Thais with contempt. They now wish to remove democracy because they cannot win the majority vote

Very succinct and also a very astute observation, however it is not just the Issan people. The people in Chiang mai-rai-Mae hong son region as well as the rural Rayong province, Kanchanaburi province and beyond feel they are treated will the same disrespect by the Bangkok HISO crowd, as their brothers and sisters in Issan thumbsup.gif

"All Thai parties give cash to voters. Then the voters are free to vote for who they want to anyway"

I thought the same way, but that is not the case here in Isaan because they will indeed vote for whoever gives them the most money. If you don't give them money they just won't vote at all. The money handout along with corruption is so ingrained in their psyche that it's all perfectly acceptable. Much of this has to do with the very poor quality of the education they receive. Votes are bought as are government jobs. Heck this money deal even filters down to those participating in a local parade. My bicycle group was paid 300THB each to ride our bicycles in a local parade celbrating the opening of a new traffic circle here in Udon Thani!!

She received 49.22 percent of the votes from 1,177 respondent

does anyone else think that 1177 people could even make it a " POLL"

​anyway good yingluck to her

these people also put the food on your tables so spare a thought next time you sit in your nice 2 story houses and think of the people who gave you food this night who are sleeping in a bamboo hut

Shame BKK Shame

Redute

"these people also put the food on your tables so spare a thought next time you sit in your nice 2 story houses and think of the people who gave you food this night who are sleeping in a bamboo hut"

I'm not sure where you live but I haven't seen any people sleeping in bamboo huts here in Thailand.

Farming is an honorable pursuit when mixed with a quality education and that's what's missing from

the equation.

If only the otherside could bring themselves to showing the poor some respect, then they mightn't have to do their petty footstomping, coups, and city-halting every couple of years because they cannot win an election.

But my Lord, rich and powerful Thais be humble enough to do that.... only the Shinawats have the intelligence and humbleness to do that.

You call what the Shinawatras do for the poor showing some respect. Might be in your mind but to me it is using them to win enough votes to stay in power to be able to rob the country blind.

The average Shinawatra could not give a rat's ass for the average rice farmer, it is all about them.

(Using the words intelligence and humbleness in the same sentence as that evil family, you must be on the Amsterdam payroll.)

Do me a big favor, if we ever meet, don't show me any respect ! whistling.gif

Redute

"these people also put the food on your tables so spare a thought next time you sit in your nice 2 story houses and think of the people who gave you food this night who are sleeping in a bamboo hut"

I'm not sure where you live but I haven't seen any people sleeping in bamboo huts here in Thailand.

Farming is an honorable pursuit when mixed with a quality education and that's what's missing from

the equation.

Guess you never been to the country then if you have never seen people living in bamboo Huts

get out of your 4-5 star hotel and go out and meet the people

Education was inforced my Taksin so kids had to go to school until they finished primary schooling

cannot believe you don't think people live in bamboo Huts anymore

maybe ask your little girl who came from the jungle and maybe you go there and spend some time with her family

"If the Dems ever want to win an election they have to offer more money for the peoples' votes." -

Just my opinion, after being married to the daughter of a Surin rice farmer for a few years, who openly admits the only reason he and his family vote for PTP is because they pay the most money.

You can babble on all you like about the Issan people loving Thaksin because of all he has done for them but the facts are if someone else came along and offered more money for their loyalty they would jump ship in an instant. thumbsup.gif

Guess you never been to the country then if you have never seen people living in bamboo Huts

get out of your 4-5 star hotel and go out and meet the people

Education was inforced my Taksin so kids had to go to school until they finished primary schooling

cannot believe you don't think people live in bamboo Huts anymore

maybe ask your little girl who came from the jungle and maybe you go there and spend some time with her family

Most of the people who live in bamboo huts are Hilltribe people in the mountains who like to live in bamboo huts. Ask them what they think of the PTP, probably never heard of them. And guess what, the government could not care less about them.

I am sure there are Thai farmers living in bamboo huts as well, but there is a reason for that. Some people are more successful than others.

• Like 1