Best Time Of Year To Prune Lime Trees?

mhortig

What is the best time of year to prune lime trees. My understanding is that pruning should be minimal, mainly toi control shape/height, remove dead and weak branches. Any tips from people who have healthy lime trees would be appreciated.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps. Post edited to remove bold font.

We only trimmed ours to keep the leaves and fruit off the ground say 40 cm. If you want more fruit there is a hormone you can use and get almost 3 crops a year. Keeping them well watered and well treated with manure will help.

The other thing to do when pruning citrus is to open up the centre so a bit more light gets to the foliage and fruit in the centre and increase yeild a bit more. Then do a pH test and add lime if required (between 6-7 ) but don't add lime and fertiliser at the same time as the lime can cancel out the fertiliser somewhat .If you are in limestone country then skip the adding lime.

• Like 1

A lime tree is not an ornamental shrub, and after growing them my entire life in California, I have never seen nor heard of anyone trimming them back. Such a great tree with an abundance of fruit when left to it own devices. Just cut back any dead wood, and you are fine. Fruit trees, prune back; citrus trees, let them do their own thing.

• 3 months later...
Pruning timing is 'whenever your saw is sharp' since there is no real defined season

Is it plausible to assume that (f.e. "jumpee") trees should be preferably trimmed in the dry season?; Due to the drought the water is retracted in the roots (the trees are loosing their leaves) and the tree can handle the trim better than if it would "stand in full juice".