Which bank in Pattaya would accept a Tourist Visa for opening new a/c ?

thairookie

Is there any Tourist Visa (TR) friendly banks in Pattaya ?

I have 2 Bangkok Bank accounts registered at branches in Bangkok. So far I have not had any luck with other banks in Bangkok, especially Kasikorn Bank. In fact most other banks would insist on foreigners having a Work Permit for registering a bank account.

I wonder if banks in Pattaya are subject to the same stringent requirements. I need to register a bank account in Pattaya so that whatever money I receive in Pattaya will not be subject to some ridiculous inter-provincial charges.

Did you ask if you can transfer one of your Bangkok accounts to a Pattaya branch?

No. My other bank account is joint account. I need both bank accounts in Bangkok for my other commitments in Bangkok.

I'm just curious if banks other than Bangkok Bank can maintain the same regiment in barring foreigners with WP to register a new bank account in Thailand, particularly in Pattaya. I can imagine most of the Russians in Pattaya do not have WPs.

For the record, nobody accepts a tourist visa. But some banks, like Bangkok Bank at certain branches like Emporium accept expats to open accounts. Not sure about Pattaya.

For the more accurate record: many years ago I opened my bank account in Pattaya while here on either a tourist visa or visa exempt entry, don't remember which, and there have been numerous messages posted on TV by others who have opened accounts under the same conditions more recently in various places in Thailand. As others have said, you just need to try a few before you find one that will agree.

Edited by Suradit69

In a case where it really couldn't be done (I am sure it can be done in Pattaya though) there are probably still ways. For example, you could contact a hungry real estate agent and just pay him to help you open an account at a bank he has a relationship with based on the reason -- shopping for a condo. Etc.

I was visiting a friend in Pattaya about 6 weeks ago. I suggested to him to open an account with K Bank in Central festival.

After about 45 minutes we both walked out of the K Bank branch and my friend had his newly open account, no problems. All on a 30 day stamp.

Did you ask if you can transfer one of your Bangkok accounts to a Pattaya branch?

Don't do that. I transferred a Bangkok Bank account in Ban Phe (Rayong Province) to a Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya (Chonburi Province) and they charged me a 1% fee for pushing a button.

It often varies branch to branch. I suggest trying Kasikorn branches in Pattaya especially the one on Jomtien beach road (inner).

I opened up an account with K Bank on a Tourist Visa, all they need is an address and if you have a 6 month or less visa they ask you to take out an accident policy which cost 2500 Baht

It often varies branch to branch. I suggest trying Kasikorn branches in Pattaya especially the one on Jomtien beach road (inner).

I opened up an account with K Bank on a Tourist Visa, all they need is an address and if you have a 6 month or less visa they ask you to take out an accident policy which cost 2500 Baht

I was required to take out no such insurance policy.

As is true about all this generally, go where you want and ask to open an account. If they aren't obliging about it or seem to be tacking on charges, don't waste your time or theirs. Just say thanks and proceed to another bank branch somewhere; can be another branch of the same bank. Keep trying until you get what you want. Take your passport, a business card from your hotel, and some money to deposit. If you have a thai cellphone, know the number. Don't overthink this. It CAN be done, even on a 30d visa exempt stamp, but not necessarily at every bank branch of every bank everywhere everyday. TIT.

PS - 'Shouldn't cost you more than a couple of hundred baht, mostly for issuance of a new ATM/debit card.

they ask, you do not have to accept

same with ATM card

• Like 1

You'll still have interbank/provincial fees between a Bangkok branch and a Pattaya branch.

Interbank (BKK to a different bank) yes, inter-regional with the same BKK bank, no.

BKK Bank stopped inter-regional transfer fees sometime this summer. It is now free to transfer your money to any BKK branch anywhere in Thailand or that is the first 5 transfers per month.

Current BKK transfer fee schedule.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/NewUsers/Pages/FeeInformation.aspx

I was refused at Bangkok Bank and went to Kasikorn and got an account in only my name with no problem. I don't even have a visa. Come and go frequently and only stay 30 days. Years ago I had a Krung Thai bank in the same manner. Just go to various banks and ask..........................

Edited to mention the Kasikorn branch in Big C Extra (the old Carfore Store) on Pattaya Klang (center road) and only paid a small ATM fee - no insurance required......................

Edited by sawadeeken

You'll still have interbank/provincial fees between a Bangkok branch and a Pattaya branch.

Yes, it's precisely because I'm aware of the interbank/provincial fees that I have decided to open an account in the province of Chonburi. Otherwise, payments will be made in Pattaya to my Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok.

Interbank (BKK to a different bank) yes, inter-regional with the same BKK bank, no.

BKK Bank stopped inter-regional transfer fees sometime this summer. It is now free to transfer your money to any BKK branch anywhere in Thailand or that is the first 5 transfers per month.

Current BKK transfer fee schedule.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/NewUsers/Pages/FeeInformation.aspx

Only last week, I was at Bangkok Bank @ Big C Extra. I wanted to transfer 30,000 baht from my BKK Bank joint account to my BKK Bank single account. The transfer "out" of joint account costs 70 baht, and "into" my single account costs another 70 baht. Why ? Because both my accounts are registered in Bangkok.

I walked out of the bank straightaway.