Which bank in Pattaya would accept a Tourist Visa for opening new a/c ?

thairookie

No problems to apply with a tourist visa as long as you show them a correct address, soi , zip code and all that .

I have opened accounts at several Kasikorn branches both in Bangkok and Pattaya .

For the record, nobody accepts a tourist visa. But some banks, like Bangkok Bank at certain branches like Emporium accept expats to open accounts. Not sure about Pattaya.

Inaccurate. If the OP is married Kasikorn will open an account with a copy of his wife's ID.

For the record, nobody accepts a tourist visa. But some banks, like Bangkok Bank at certain branches like Emporium accept expats to open accounts. Not sure about Pattaya.

Please don't post inaccurate information.

If you do not know, what you are talking about, best say nothing

It was a few years ago, I opened an account at SCB in Jomtien (had only 30 day Visa Exempt), I needed one to transfer funds for the purchase of a condo, was first refused but I told the guys at the real-estate, they came back with me (three of them) and "hay presto" an account within minutes, the three guys from the estate agent were very persuasive, (just think of the chaos that Sid James, Bernard Cribbins and Bernard Bresslaw could cause in five minutes).

Inaccurate. If the OP is married Kasikorn will open an account with a copy of his wife's ID.

both incorrect respectively inaccurate information. a number of Kasikorn branches in Pattaya will open an account even if the applicant has only a 30 day visa waver in his passport.

the two branches i know personally are located in Central and in front of Villa Market.

Please don't post inaccurate information.

If you do not know, what you are talking about, best say nothing

But I opened one at Bangkok Bank Beach Road almost immediately.

The one at Pratamnak is a special case. The banking hall is kept relatively empty. I think they don't want too much work.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I suppose the issue is not what visa you have but they do not want to open account for a tourist who just wants to transfer money for a one off holiday.

Well, that seems logical, but then again, I suspect that many if not most of the locals maintain pretty low balances compared to foreigners wanting to open accounts. Most foreigners bothering to open an account are going to have more than just a few hundred dollars or euros or whatever to secure. And there are all kinds of fees to be collected...

I have just been rejected by Bangkok Bank at Pratamnak Road because I don't have a work permit.

Why bother with Bangkok Bank, after every post in this thread agrees Kasikorn opens account, regardless what type of visa.

I have just been rejected by Bangkok Bank at Pratamnak Road because I don't have a work permit.

Why bother with Bangkok Bank, after every post in this thread agrees Kasikorn opens account, regardless what type of visa.

Well, I don't have a BB acct and have never tried to open one with them, but are they not one of the few thai banks, if not the only one, to actually have a US branch (making the whole intl funds transfer thing a bit easier/faster/cheaper)? I use Kasikorn myself and my transfers are fairly painless & cheap, but it did take some effort to set up for the transfers and when trying to figure out the intermediary bank wrinkle, I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that there was a New York Bangkok Bank branch with no intermediary required.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am new here and hope to get some advice.. After reading posts about opening up Bank account in Thailand, I read from some people that Banks are wanting W/P !

My question is , When I arrive to Pattaya and only have Dtac phone number , Hotel Address , Passport , International Drivers License, and , drivers License from my country, Would that be enough to open Bank account? Or would it be better to go to my Embassy and ask them for a verification letter to state it is me on Passport to include with my documents to submit to bank !

I will only have a 30 day tourist visa but I could go to Thai consulate in my country and apply for a 60 day visa if that makes things easier?

Reason I want to get Bank account is for purchase condo in next year so wanted to start transfer funds from my country to Bank in Thailand whilst I am working, Then when I come back I will be cashed up and ready to buy.. Any feed back would be good, Any Banks which are more farang friendly than others also.. I do see many people mention Kasikorn Bank ! .. Thanks will read after..

All Kasikorn bank branches

Not true. Took a friend to 3 banks in the Tesco on Sukhumvit on Friday, none would allow him to open an account. One of the banks was Kasikorn.

Just keep trying - maybe elsewhere outside Tesco... Try Kasikorn at Avenue Mall or Central Festival.

Not true. Took a friend to 3 banks in the Tesco on Sukhumvit on Friday, none would allow him to open an account. One of the banks was Kasikorn.

Just keep trying - maybe elsewhere outside Tesco... Try Kasikorn at Avenue Mall or Central Festival.

I don't care what anyone says, there has definitely been some kind of policy change. My bank (Siam Commercial) in the Tesco mall never asked any questions 4 years ago when I opened my account, now they knocked my friend back, as did the other two banks there. They all asked the same question, do you have a work permit? You can't tell me that was just coincidence.

I don't care what anyone says, there has definitely been some kind of policy change. My bank (Siam Commercial) in the Tesco mall never asked any questions 4 years ago when I opened my account, now they knocked my friend back, as did the other two banks there. They all asked the same question, do you have a work permit? You can't tell me that was just coincidence.

Ok, 3 branches at Tesco say no, so give up & go home. I'd keep trying somewhere else. Up to you, but I don't think 3 branches at a Tesco in Pattaya constitute a nationally-binding, no-exceptions, everything's-changed-now, everywhere, always, don't-even-think-about-it ... rule. (Opened my account just a year ago. No questions. 30d stamp. Hotel address.)

My Thai lady just rang the Jomtien branch of the Bangkok Bank on my mate's behalf. The manager there told her it won't be a problem opening a new account for him, just bring passport and some proof of address.